Be a lively, thriving Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (By what Means may Ministers best win Souls), Works 1:241-242:

Take heed unto thyself, that thou be a lively, thriving Christian. See that all thy religion run not in the channel of thy employment. It is found by experience, that as it fares with a minister in the frame of his heart and thriving of the work of God in his soul, so doth it fare with his ministry both in its vigour and effects. A carnal frame, a dead heart, and a loose walk, make cold and unprofitable preaching. And how common is it for ministers to neglect their own vineyard? When we read the word, we read it as ministers, to know what we should teach, rather than what we should learn as Christians. Unless there be great heed taken, it will be found that our ministry and labour therein may eat out the life of our Christianity.

Earl, Thankyou for the links; I will try to listen to them this afternoon.

I think Robert Traill was speaking more to the private life of the pastor as a Christian, not to visiting the flock in private. He does later speak of the importance of visitation and dealing with souls personally, on pp. 245-246:

It would further the winning of souls, to deal particularly and personally with them. Not always nor altogether in public, Col. 1:28; Acts 20:20, 21. Great fruit hath constantly followed the conscientious discharge of this duty. The setting of it up in Geneva did produce incredible fruits of piety, as Calvin reports: when the ministers and some of the elders went from house to house, and dealt particularly with the people’s consciences. And we are not without many instances of the fruit of this mean in our own time and in these nations. Blessed be the Lord for the labourers and their success!

Yes you are correct. They are indeed the same in that the site has them as labeled differently.

What I love about things like podcasts is that my time spent in the car can be redeemed to great benefit by listening to the things of Our Lord in relative peace. Of course this happens when I am not getting honked at. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back