Be a Better Covenant Theologian with Edmund Calamy's Covenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
[video=vimeo;87415518]https://vimeo.com/87415518[/video]

The Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace – by Edmund Calamy (1600-1666)

Edmund Calamy (1600-1666) was a Reformed Presbyterian preacher of the Gospel and one of the distinguished members of the Westminster Assembly. He was active to promote Reformed Theology in his day and was an eminent scholar of the Bible.

This work by master theologian Edmund Calamy is a work of the highest order on covenant theology. Calamy says that there are two covenants, following the received standards of the Westminster Confession. There is the Covenant of Works, where all men by nature lie under the pollution and guilt of Adam’s sin, and liable to all the curses and penalties due to them for breach of that covenant. And then, secondly, there is the Covenant of Grace which God the Father made with Jesus Christ from all eternity to save some of the posterity of Adam.

Calamy carefully and methodically explains that the Covenant of Grace was prepared and readied against the fall of Adam to take place at the very moment of his fall; otherwise the justice of God would have immediately seized on all of creation under heaven, and consumed them to nothing. But Jesus Christ came with the covenant in his hand saying, “Be gracious unto him, and deliver him from going down to the pit, I have found a ransom,” (Job 33:24). Calamy proves that the Covenant of Grace was made with Jesus Christ, and this was the contract of God the Father with God the Son from all eternity as mediator for the salvation of the elect.

Puritan Shop eBook Pack
http://www.puritanshop.com/shop/the...covenant-of-grace-by-edmund-calamy-1600-1666/

Kindle Version
Amazon.com: The Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace eBook: Edmund Calamy, C. Matthew McMahon, Therese B. McMahon: Kindle Store

Nook Version
The Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace by Edmund Calamy | 2940148250265 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble

Print Version
The Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace by Edmund Calamy (Paperback) - Lulu

CovenantsEdmundCalamy.jpg

He follows Westminster.

I should have been more specific. As a good Presbyterian - and one whose work on Covenant Theology you'd recommend - I'm sure he follows Westminster. But I have noticed some nuances among Puritans and Presbyterians of that period who follow Westminster. They all follow Westminster in regarding the Mosaic covenant as primarily an administration of the Covenant of Grace. However, I have noticed that some - following some of Paul's expressions in that direction - regard there as being a sort of picture of the covenant of works (not an actual republication of it, but something different) in subordination to its fundamental nature as an administration of the Covenant of Grace. For example, Thomas Boston takes a view like that in his notes on The Marrow of Modern Divinity. What I am wondering is whether Mr. Calamy addresses these views in his work or not, and if so, what is his own conclusion on the matter?

Yes he addresses them quite extensively and places the Mosaic covenant as part of the covenant of grace.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back