BB Warfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

retroGRAD3

Puritan Board Senior
Hey all, I keep seeing Warfield's name come up and he is referenced a lot in theological discussions. Over the past year, I have really started to grow my library of books to read on theological topics. However, I do not have anything by Warfield yet. The question I have for this board is what would be a good book to start with? Does Warfield have a book that is considered his Magnum Opus?

Hey all, I keep seeing Warfield's name come up and he is referenced a lot in theological discussions. Over the past year, I have really started to grow my library of books to read on theological topics. However, I do not have anything by Warfield yet. The question I have for this board is what would be a good book to start with? Does Warfield have a book that is considered his Magnum Opus?
The best place to start with Warfield are his Selected Shorter Writings in two volumes. That is where I began. I had a hard time putting those volumes down when they were given to me.

Publisher description:
This anthology of Warfield's most valuable shorter writings is being reprinted by popular demand. In these two volumes, the editor brings together over 100 articles, including book introductions, book reviews, encyclopedia articles, sermons, and a small book "The Right of Systematic Theology." Many selections are less weighty and more practical than those in the larger sets and none of them appear in the five- or ten-volume set of Warfield's works.

Counterfeit Miracles was incredibly helpful to me!

In his years at Princeton, 1886-1921, he was unquestionably the best-known opponent of the rationalism and antisupernaturalism which threatened the life of the Church in the 20th Century; for him a non-miraculous Christianity was no Christianity at all. But with his breadth of vision Warfield also saw the danger of false claims to the possession of miraculous gifts- claims which have repeatedly been made both by the Church of Rome and by groups within Protestantism.

It looks like the Selected Shorter Writings is only available at Amazon for $190. I will keep looking for another source or PDF version.

UPDATE: found some used copies at some random bookstore in Oregon for $50. Scooped them up.

Last edited:
Counterfeit Miracles was incredibly helpful to me!

In his years at Princeton, 1886-1921, he was unquestionably the best-known opponent of the rationalism and antisupernaturalism which threatened the life of the Church in the 20th Century; for him a non-miraculous Christianity was no Christianity at all. But with his breadth of vision Warfield also saw the danger of false claims to the possession of miraculous gifts- claims which have repeatedly been made both by the Church of Rome and by groups within Protestantism.
Thankfully, this book is still in print.

It looks like the Selected Shorter Writings is only available at Amazon for $190. I will keep looking for another source or PDF version.

UPDATE: found some used copies at some random bookstore in Oregon for $50. Scooped them up.

One thing to keep in mind is that most if not all of B. B. Warfield's writings which you find in the 10 volume works were journal articles. Hence they tend to be a bit on the technical and boring side.

I tried reading his Inspiration and Authority of the Holy Bible and I couldn’t even get halfway through it... :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back