Battle Of New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid, we'd visit my grandparents for supper. Afterwords, we'd sit in the front room and my granddaddy would play his records and all us kids would all sing and dance around like idiots. One of our favorites was Johnny Horton's The Battle of New Orleans. And all my kids know it now too.

Love me some Johnny Horton. The Bismarck is one of my faves. Thankful my Dad has these tapes and we'd listen to 'em on road trips. Very out of character for others my age.

Google War of 1812 Canadian Edition. It mentioned something about the burning of the White House :wow:
Thanks. The YouTube video that Google gave me was a hoot! (Fair warning to others: it contained one third commandment violation.)

My dad attended high school near Toronto. He can remember the repulsion of the American invaders being taught as a great moment in Canadian history, complete with a field trip to one of the battle sites.

But here in the US, the ill-conceived Canadian campaign is hardly mentioned, if at all, when the War of 1812 is (briefly) taught in school. We learn about a handful of naval battles that supposedly taught the British to respect us, and about New Orleans. And, oh yeah, we got absolutely trampled in Washington and shelled in Baltimore, but the flag kept flying at Fort McHenry and that's how we got our national anthem, so that's a feel-good story too.

Last edited:
Thanks. The YouTube video that Google gave me was a hoot! (Fair warning to others: it contained one third commandment violation.)

My dad attended high school near Toronto. He can remember the repulsion of the American invaders being taught as a great moment in Canadian history, complete with a field trip to one of the battle sites.

But here in the US, the ill-conceived Canadian campaign is hardly mentioned, if at all, when the War of 1812 is (briefly) taught in school. We learn about a handful of naval battles that supposedly taught the British to respect us, and about New Orleans. And, oh yeah, we got absolutely trampled in Washington and shelled in Baltimore, but the flag kept flying at Fort McHenry and that's how we got our national anthem, so that's a feel-good story too.
Besides a mention of General Sir Isaac Brock and Tecumseh, it was glossed over in history class, we spent more time on the Metis and Louis Riel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back