Basis of "free will" from the Arminian perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does John Owen treat this in his book on the death of Christ?

Briefly, as follows: "Now from all this, thus much (to clear up the nature of the satisfaction made by Christ) appeareth,—namely, It was a full, valuable compensation, made to the justice of God, for all the sins of all those for whom he made satisfaction, by undergoing that same punishment which, by reason of the obligation that was upon them, they themselves were bound to undergo. When I say the same, I mean essentially the same in weight and pressure, though not in all accidents of duration and the like; for it was impossible that he should be detained by death."

It is explained further in his answer to Richard Baxter on the Death of Christ in the same volume (10) of his Works.

Does John Owen treat this in his book on the death of Christ?

Briefly, as follows: "Now from all this, thus much (to clear up the nature of the satisfaction made by Christ) appeareth,—namely, It was a full, valuable compensation, made to the justice of God, for all the sins of all those for whom he made satisfaction, by undergoing that same punishment which, by reason of the obligation that was upon them, they themselves were bound to undergo. When I say the same, I mean essentially the same in weight and pressure, though not in all accidents of duration and the like; for it was impossible that he should be detained by death."

It is explained further in his answer to Richard Baxter on the Death of Christ in the same volume (10) of his Works.

Thank you very much for that quote. Could you elaborate on "accidents"? Is the bolded phrase saying that duration is not of the substance of God's wrath?

Is the bolded phrase saying that duration is not of the substance of God's wrath?

Basically, yes. Elsewhere Owen notes that eternal duration is owing to the fact that sinners do not ever pay the penalty due to sin and so it is continual (sorry I cannot locate the precise place he says this, so I am unable to provide a quotation). This being the case, the duration is accidental, i.e., not essential to the punishment in itself, but results from the condition of the person undergoing the punishment.

An "accident" is simply an attribute which does not belong to the essence of a thing. The accident may be lacking and the thing remains essentially the same. In this case, "accidents" are those consequences which arise because of the condition of the sinner, not because the punishment necessarily demands it.

Is the bolded phrase saying that duration is not of the substance of God's wrath?

Basically, yes. Elsewhere Owen notes that eternal duration is owing to the fact that sinners do not ever pay the penalty due to sin and so it is continual (sorry I cannot locate the precise place he says this, so I am unable to provide a quotation). This being the case, the duration is accidental, i.e., not essential to the punishment in itself, but results from the condition of the person undergoing the punishment.

An "accident" is simply an attribute which does not belong to the essence of a thing. The accident may be lacking and the thing remains essentially the same. In this case, "accidents" are those consequences which arise because of the condition of the sinner, not because the punishment necessarily demands it.

Excellent! Thank you for bearing with my stupidity, once again. I'm so glad the Lord let me see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back