Basil of Caesarea Speaking of the Root of Our Questioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hart

Puritan Board Senior
Basil of Caesarea begins his work On the Holy Spirit:

Dear brother Amphilochius, of all men you are the most honorable to me. I commend your love of learning and your industrious character, and I delight very much in the carefulness and sobriety of your idea that not one of the words that are applied to God in every use of speech should be left uninvestigated. For you have listened well to the Lord's exhortation, "Everyone who asks, receives, everyone who seeks, finds" (Lk. 11.10), and because of your diligent asking you would encourage, it seems to me, even the most hesitant to join you. Even more, though, I admire your proposing questions, not for the sake of testing, as many now do, but to discover the truth itself. For now a great many people listen to and question us and find fault, but it is most difficult to find a soul that loves learning and seeks the truth as a remedy for ignorance. For the questions of many contain a hidden and elaborate bait, like the hunters' snare and the military ambush. These are the people who throw out words, not so that they may receive something useful from them, but so that they may seem to have a just pretext for war if they find answers that do not accord with their own liking.​

Basil of Caesarea, On the Holy Spirit, trans. Stephen Hildebrand, St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2011, pp. 27,28.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back