Basic greek phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Hello,

Noah is now in Unit 3 of a greek home-schooling program, Hey Andrew, Teach me some Greek and also has about 100 koine words committed to memory (and the different forms of about 8). He knows I John 1:1-2.

I was wondering if there are lists of basic greek phrases to begin teaching Noah behind merely isolated words now, like "Son of Man" "Truly I say unto you." or "Grace and Peace unto you.." Preferably the simplest phrases (but which are high-frequency ion occurrence) for now.

Here are two he understood so far (sorry no greek font here):

Like, "Ego daimonion ouk." I am not a demon, or "Ho Theos phos estin..." Maybe high-frequency phrases from I John would be best due to the simpler language and grammer.

So, anyone have lists of easy greek phrases to help Noah?

You're asking a great question. As far as I know, a list such as that does not exist, probably because most contemporary Greek pedagogy undervalues composition and oral components. For vocabulary in general, there is no better resource than Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek by Bruce Metzger. He has vocab lists not only by frequency, but also by root and morphology, which helps you actually understand Greek as a language.

Regarding phrases, let me know what you want. Off the top of my head, I will give you some. Some of these are attuned to 1 John, others are general:

The Son of Man - ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου

The Son of God - ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ or υἱὸς θεοῦ or θεοῦ υἱὸς

[Note: any "of God" phrase can be formed by τοῦ θεοῦ]

Jesus answered and said to them - ἀπεκρίθη [ὁ] Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς

If we should say (that) - ἐὰν εἴπωμεν (ὅτι)

For this reason - διὰ τοῦτο

In Christ Jesus - ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ

I write to you - γράφω ὑμῖν

The one who says - ὁ λέγων

A great start Charlie. Noah turns 7 next month, and he wants to be a missionary and serve God, and so he studies hard in Greek (though he also likes Aesop's fables almost as much, and history, too).

You're asking a great question. As far as I know, a list such as that does not exist, probably because most contemporary Greek pedagogy undervalues composition and oral components.

The Bible Language Center teaches Greek and Hebrew from an oral learning perspective. They offer some books with CDs -- this may be what you're after. It would be tough to get those books to your part of the world though.
Koine Greek Books & Products | Biblical Language Center

For vocabulary in general, there is no better resource than Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek by Bruce Metzger. He has vocab lists not only by frequency, but also by root and morphology, which helps you actually understand Greek as a language.

I humbly disagree with Charlie here and recommend Warren Trenchard's Complete Vocabulary Guide to the Greek New Testament. It also has vocab lists by frequency and root, but unlike similar guides, it includes every word in the Greek New Testament. It also has sections on principle parts, proper names, irregular declensions, foreign words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back