Baseball 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew-

As a Sox fan since your youth, what was it like for you when they finally won it last year, and had to go through their arch-nemesis Yankees in such a spectacular fashion as they did?

Originally posted by RAS
Andrew-

As a Sox fan since your youth, what was it like for you when they finally won it last year, and had to go through their arch-nemesis Yankees in such a spectacular fashion as they did?

"Oh, joy unbounded! Oh, sweet relief! Oh, rapture unexampled!" (Gilbert & Sullivan, The Pirates of Penzance) :)

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by Ivan
Three words for the 2005 World Series...St. Louis Cardinals!

I get to take my wife to a Cardinals game Monday night. It is against the Brewers regretfully but it will be my wife's first MLB game.

Tonight's game:

Red Sox - 17

Yankees - 1

:banana::banana::banana:

In the words of Yogi Berra, "It's just like deja-vu all over again!" (May 28, 2005: Red Sox - 17; Yankees -1)

[Edited on 7-16-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Tonight's game:

Red Sox - 17

Yankees - 1

In the words of Yogi Berra, "It's just like deja-vu all over again!" (May 28, 2005: Red Sox - 17; Yankees -1)

Ouch! But still :banana:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Tonight's game:

Red Sox - 17

Yankees - 1

:mad: J/K

Anyone notice how close some races are? All five teams in the NL east, I am told, are contenders for the playoffs. The AL east can go several different ways as well. The Yankees look good one night, and stink the next. The Jays look decent all the time, and look like they could blow everyone away some nights, but never really stink. The Bosox are like storm gaining strength, but can't seem to find the parts needed to go over the top. The Orioles are strong and steady, but also can't find that extra oomph needed to run away with the division.

The Braves are in second, and unless the Nationals fall apart, look like they have a hard road ahead, what with all the injuries.

The Cubs could coast the rest of the season, but everyone else has to look to every game as a "must win", every series as a playoff, and hope that other teams fade in the stretch. This is no time for slumps. And who knows, the Cubs might not have it so easy, when you consider the run the Expos gave back in Nineties, coming back from fifteen or so games back.

Man, this sounds good. Like I know what I'm talking about. But I only watch on the radio, and most of that in sports highlights. I also heard that Tiger shot a minus 4, but I don't think that's baseball.

I shot a round of golf one time. Man, that's easy, a whole lot easier than hockey. Every time you hit the ball it counts, not like hockey where the only time it counts is when you can hit it into the net. I beat all the others on the first hole alone, something like 63 -3. I just don't aim: its easy.

The Braves are back in first! :banana: Last year we took over the division lead for good on July 23.

I have had a feeling that the Nats have been overachieving all year and that they'd run out of gas sooner or later. I think they'll finish third or fourth by the time it's all said and done.

The only team the Braves should be scared of in the NL is St. Louis. This youthful energy might just take them all the way if they can get past the Cards.

Since I am new to baseball, what are the rules as to who gets in the World Series?

Originally posted by poimen
Since I am new to baseball, what are the rules as to who gets in the World Series?

There are two Leagues: American and National

Each League has three divisions (of around 5 teams): East, Central, and West

Each League has a 4-team playoff (series) consisting of all the division champs and one wild card (the team with the best record that failed to win their division).

The winners from the American League and National League playoffs meet in the World Series

Toronto beat Los Angeles 2-1 in 18 innings last night, the longest game in Blue Jays' history and the longest game in the majors this season! Way to go, Blue Jays, for hanging in there! :banana:

Originally posted by Solo Christo
The Braves are back in first! :banana: Last year we took over the division lead for good on July 23.

I have had a feeling that the Nats have been overachieving all year and that they'd run out of gas sooner or later. I think they'll finish third or fourth by the time it's all said and done.

The only team the Braves should be scared of in the NL is St. Louis. This youthful energy might just take them all the way if they can get past the Cards.

But Mike, if only the Braves could win another World Series. I am tired of watching them, going to the games only for them to lose right before or during the World Series.

Come on guys, you got to WANT it.

Da Bravos.

Oh, Mike, BTW - did you read todays Urinal and Constipation?

It has an article about Richt in it defending his team. He is a great coach BTW.

[Edited on 7-29-2005 by govols]

Originally posted by govols

But Mike, if only the Braves could win another World Series. I am tired of watching them, going to the games only for them to lose right before or during the World Series.

Come on guys, you got to WANT it.

Da Bravos.
Yeah, I know. But I'll tell ya sumpin, John, I see something special in this year's club. If you remember back in '95 when we won it all we had a playoff experienced team, but with some lively young blood--Chipper, Klesko, etc. I think there are some remarkable parallels with what we've got on the field right now. Maybe even more so cause a lot of these kids are living out their dreams in their own backyard (at least 3 of our rookies are local).

I'm just trying to enjoy the ride while it lasts. 14 straight division titles is INSANE! At least we have a chance every year. With all the ups and downs of a major league baseball season, winning it all is about peaking in October (Marlins are a great example). Hopefully our youth will help us get it done. Let's not take for granted that we also have one of the greatest coaching staffs ever.

Oh, Mike, BTW - did you read todays Urinal and Constipation?

It has an article about Richt in it defending his team. He is a great coach BTW.

[Edited on 7-29-2005 by govols]
Richt is the man. I've chatted with our Athletic Director for a job at the university specifically to screen and deflect all of coach's letters and calls from NFL teams. It's gonna require stealth operations, a few cell phone scrambles, and some mysteriously lost messages. I wish I could talk about it more, but it's pretty hush hush. ;)

The Nats were having a dream season, but it seems to be slipping away. <sigh>

I'm going to St. Louis to see the Cards play the Reds on Friday. This is their last home series (reg. season) in Busch. The awesome thing is that it will be a father/son trip with no wives.

[edit]In case my wife reads this, there's nothing wrong with you sweetheart - it's just a man thang...)

[Edited on 9-28-2005 by crhoades]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back