Baseball 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I would just like to offer *sincere* condolences to fans of the New York Yankees for being in last place in the AL East. Ah, the vicissitudes of sports! :)

It's early. Cardinals were in third or fourth in their division last year at this time, and wound up in the Series. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. That being said, I do think the Yanks have too many stat hungry egos and not enough heart, which is why even with the high price all-star team they field everyday, they will never compare to the greatness of those teams in the late nineties. Maybe Tino Martinez coming back will bring back the "magic" they lost when they released him for "the next Babe Ruth", Jason Giambi. I suspect Clemens will be traded back to them too by the August deadline.

Roger Clemens became the "Winningest Pitcher Alive" (WPA) last week by winning his 330th career game and passing Steve Carlton on the list. Congrats to Roger Clemens!

"Winningest Pitchers Alive"
Al Spalding (253), 1871-1884
Bobby Mathews (297), 1885-1887
Pud Galvin (364), 1888-1902
Tim Keefe (342), 1902
Cy Young (511), 1902-1955
Lefty Grove (300), 1955-1961
Warren Spahn (363), 1961-2003
Steve Carlton (329), 2003-2005
Roger Clemens (330), 2005-

How many wins did Nolan Ryan have in his career? I would have thought he'd be on the list.

Ok, 10 in a row ain't bad. It does alter the standings as they were two weeks ago. In fact, I'm starting to sweat...and it's only May! :chained:

The Yankees are playing above their potential at the moment. They will level off in the coming days. The problem is that they will level off higher than most, if not all, other teams. Any thoughts on Clemens being a Yankee some time this year?

I heard in the media during preseason that Clemens had a trade clause that would allow him to be traded to a contender if the Astros were not competing. He was asked about it in an interview while here in St. Louis a few weeks ago, and gave the typical ambiguous answers, and our paper here has mentioned it a few times. I think it is inevitable that he will be a Yankee again. So maybe a trade for Giambi, since Bagwell is talking of retiring even before season's end? A yankees fan could only hope;)

Rich-
are you a Yankees fan?

[Edited on 5-18-2005 by RAS]

If Clemens wants to regain his old form, he has to go back to where he was the best, to Toronto. :lol:

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
RAS,

I love jeeter! It's impossible not to. Yankees fan? Ummmmmmm......:)

Yep, Jeter is the heart of the team. Even if I hated the Yanks I'd still be a Jeter fan. He's a unique player.

JohnV- What were Clemens numbers in Toronto?

Well, he won back to back Cy Youngs here.

Really, I'm not up on the numbers. T.O. won the baseball equivelent Stanley Cup, I mean the Grey Cup, whatever trophy that is, twice. Since then they've been middle of the road, niether contenders nor bottom dwellers. Being in a tough division, one has to respect them for holding their own. But one has to question why they presumed upon their fan support with less than twenty years of history behind them. It became big business to soon, with baseball itself playing second fiddle.

OK. Did anyone else see the train wreck of Darren Erstad and Johnny Estrada on Monday? Now, I'm a loyal Braves fan, so I'm horribly biased, but it seemed to me as if Erstad wasn't going for the plate in the slightest.

Booooooo. :mad:

There is trouble in Yankee nation. I won't be suprised if there is a house cleaning by "the Boss". Perhaps some big names on the move.........and A-Rod reached 400 homeruns the other day, fastest player to do it ever. Think he'll break Aaron's record?

OK. Did anyone else see the train wreck of Darren Erstad and Johnny Estrada on Monday? Now, I'm a loyal Braves fan, so I'm horribly biased, but it seemed to me as if Erstad wasn't going for the plate in the slightest.

I saw it. Reminded me of that famous Pete Rose All-Star game collision. Rough, competitive play is one thing, but going out of the way to hit someone when the plate is wide open is suspect to me. But then again, the Braves whine about everything. So maybe it is an overreaction.

In the midst of their current 10-game winning streak the Washington Nationals have acheived a 24-9 home record which is at present the best in the major leagues. :banana:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
In the midst of their current 10-game winning streak the Washington Nationals have acheived a 24-9 home record which is at present the best in the major leagues. :banana:

That's amazing! Go Nats!

Yeah, the Nats *yawn*. HOW BOUT THEM BRAVES! With basically a triple A club, Bobby Cox has kept them over .500 and stalkingly close in the NL East. I just don't see Washington holding up over 162 games. Once Atlanta begins to get healthy--look out for a fourteenth straight division crown and a dive in the first round of the playoffs!!!
:bigsmile: :D :banana: :chained: :banghead: :mad:

The Red Sox are lookin' good, baby! :banana: They not only stopped Cleveland's 9-game winning streak. They made a clean sweep, their first at Jacobs Field since May 1999. Awesome! :banana:

[Edited on 6-23-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Time for a standings check as of June 30:

Boston Red Sox lead the AL East by 2 games over Baltimore and 6 games over the Yankees. :D

Washington Nationals lead the NL East by 4 games over Atlanta. :banana:

At the halfway point I'd have to say it looks like the Cardinals year. If Pujols doesn't get the MVP this year, then there must be a conspiracy.

I'm still waiting for the Yankee house cleaning. I can't belive there was talk of trading Sheffield. Talk about pointing fingers at the wrong guy.

Knowing the Braves they'll pass the Nats and finish first,..... again.

Suprise team under the radar: White Sox. Their best pitcher (Buehrle) went to highschool just 5 or so miles from my house.

Andrew, are you closer to Baltimore or D.C.? I take it you are a Nats fan?

Originally posted by RAS
Andrew, are you closer to Baltimore or D.C.? I take it you are a Nats fan?

I work in DC and I root for the Nats (root, root for the home team :sing: ) but ever since I lived in Boston as a child I've been a die-hard Red Sox fan. Go Sox, go Nats (in that order)! :banana:

Alot of you guys need to repent and realize that no matter what anyone has decieved you to believe the ST. LOUIS CARDINALS are the best.:eek::lol::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back