Baptist to CT - The Lord's Supper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elder Greco,

Thank you very much for that exegesis! I had not heard of that defense for the use of leavened bread before.

The verses you site for azumos(n) mainly refer the feast celebration and not the bread itself. In Corinthians 5 it is used to indicate the prefferd state of the church when the old yeast of immorality (sexual) is removed. I don't see how this makes the case that the bread Jesus broke was specifically leavened bread. There is also the question of why such bread was at the Passover table in this instance?

Is there any commentary or other published writing that covers this view in more depth?

Thanks,
Rob

Luther's writings had a profound affect on my theology of the supper. Even though I rejected his ideas of trasubstantiation I began to wonder for the first time if their might not be some spiritual food for the believer to receive, some substance to the supper.

Calvin's writings on this are quite good. I've found so far.

[quote:4d9687c66a][i:4d9687c66a]Originally posted by dado6[/i:4d9687c66a]
Elder Greco,

Thank you very much for that exegesis! I had not heard of that defense for the use of leavened bread before.

The verses you site for azumos(n) mainly refer the feast celebration and not the bread itself. In Corinthians 5 it is used to indicate the prefferd state of the church when the old yeast of immorality (sexual) is removed. I don't see how this makes the case that the bread Jesus broke was specifically leavened bread. There is also the question of why such bread was at the Passover table in this instance?

Is there any commentary or other published writing that covers this view in more depth?

Thanks,
Rob [/quote:4d9687c66a]

Rob,

Azumos is also used in the LXX for unleavened bread rather than artos.

In all of the verses listed below, which cover every instance of "unleaved bread" in the OT, everywhere that you see "unleaved bread" the Greek word used is azumos, not artos:

[quote:4d9687c66a]
ESV Genesis 19:3 But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.
ESV Exodus 12:8 They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted on the fire; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it.
15 Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven out of your houses, for if anyone eats what is leavened, from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel.
17 And you shall observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread, for on this very day I brought your hosts out of the land of Egypt. Therefore you shall observe this day, throughout your generations, as a statute forever.
18 In the first month, from the fourteenth day of the month at evening, you shall eat unleavened bread until the twenty-first day of the month at evening.
20 You shall eat nothing leavened; in all your dwelling places you shall eat unleavened bread."
39 And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough that they had brought out of Egypt, for it was not leavened, because they were thrust out of Egypt and could not wait, nor had they prepared any provisions for themselves.
ESV Exodus 13:6 Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a feast to the LORD.
7 Unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days; no leavened bread shall be seen with you, and no leaven shall be seen with you in all your territory.
ESV Exodus 23:15 You shall keep the Feast of Unleavened Bread. As I commanded you, you shall eat unleavened bread for seven days at the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in it you came out of Egypt. None shall appear before me empty-handed.
ESV Exodus 29:2 and unleavened bread, unleavened cakes mixed with oil, and unleavened wafers smeared with oil. You shall make them of fine wheat flour.
23 and one loaf of bread and one cake of bread made with oil, and one wafer out of the basket of unleavened bread that is before the LORD.
ESV Exodus 34:18 "You shall keep the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, at the time appointed in the month Abib, for in the month Abib you came out from Egypt.
ESV Leviticus 8:2 "Take Aaron and his sons with him, and the garments and the anointing oil and the bull of the sin offering and the two rams and the basket of unleavened bread.
26 and out of the basket of unleavened bread that was before the LORD he took one unleavened loaf and one loaf of bread with oil and one wafer and placed them on the pieces of fat and on the right thigh.
ESV Leviticus 23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened bread to the LORD; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
ESV Numbers 9:11 In the second month on the fourteenth day at twilight they shall keep it. They shall eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
ESV Numbers 28:17 and on the fifteenth day of this month is a feast. Seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten.
ESV Deuteronomy 16:3 You shall eat no leavened bread with it. Seven days you shall eat it with unleavened bread, the bread of affliction- for you came out of the land of Egypt in haste- that all the days of your life you may remember the day when you came out of the land of Egypt.
8 For six days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a solemn assembly to the LORD your God. You shall do no work on it.
16 "Three times a year all your males shall appear before the LORD your God at the place that he will choose: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Booths. They shall not appear before the LORD empty-handed.
ESV Judges 6:19 So Gideon went into his house and prepared a young goat and unleavened cakes from an ephah of flour. The meat he put in a basket, and the broth he put in a pot, and brought them to him under the terebinth and presented them.
20 And the angel of God said to him, "Take the meat and the unleavened cakes, and put them on this rock, and pour the broth over them." And he did so.
21 Then the angel of the LORD reached out the tip of the staff that was in his hand and touched the meat and the unleavened cakes. And fire sprang up from the rock and consumed the flesh and the unleavened cakes. And the angel of the LORD vanished from his sight.
ESV 1 Samuel 28:24 Now the woman had a fattened calf in the house, and she quickly killed it, and she took flour and kneaded it and baked unleavened bread of it,
ESV 2 Kings 23:9 However, the priests of the high places did not come up to the altar of the LORD in Jerusalem, but they ate unleavened bread among their brothers.
ESV 2 Chronicles 8:13 as the duty of each day required, offering according to the commandment of Moses for the Sabbaths, the new moons, and the three annual feasts- the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks, and the Feast of Booths.
ESV 2 Chronicles 30:13 And many people came together in Jerusalem to keep the Feast of Unleavened Bread in the second month, a very great assembly.
21 And the people of Israel who were present at Jerusalem kept the Feast of Unleavened Bread seven days with great gladness, and the Levites and the priests praised the LORD day by day, singing with all their might to the LORD.
ESV 2 Chronicles 35:17 And the people of Israel who were present kept the Passover at that time, and the Feast of Unleavened Bread seven days.
ESV Ezra 6:22 And they kept the Feast of Unleavened Bread seven days with joy, for the LORD had made them joyful and had turned the heart of the king of Assyria to them, so that he aided them in the work of the house of God, the God of Israel.
ESV Ezekiel 45:21 "In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, you shall celebrate the Feast of the Passover, and for seven days unleavened bread shall be eaten.
ESV Matthew 26:17 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?"
ESV Mark 14:1 It was now two days before the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to arrest him by stealth and kill him,
12 And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him, "Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?"
ESV Luke 22:1 Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread drew near, which is called the Passover.
7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.
ESV Acts 12:3 and when he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded to arrest Peter also. This was during the days of Unleavened Bread.
ESV Acts 20:6 but we sailed away from Philippi after the days of Unleavened Bread, and in five days we came to them at Troas, where we stayed for seven days.
ESV 1 Corinthians 5:8 Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
[/quote:4d9687c66a]

Where artos is used to speak of unleavened bread, it is always "artos azumos". Especially helpful is Exodus 29:23, in which we have both types of bread and the difference displayed:

[quote:4d9687c66a]and one loaf of bread [i:4d9687c66a](artos)[/i:4d9687c66a] and one cake of bread made with oil, and one wafer out of the basket of unleavened bread [i:4d9687c66a](azumos)[/i:4d9687c66a]that is before the LORD

[size=3:4d9687c66a]kai. a;rton ena evx evlai,ou kai. la,ganon en avpo. tou/ kanou/ tw/n avzu,mwn tw/n proteqeime,nwn e;nanti kuri,ou
[/size:4d9687c66a]
[/quote:4d9687c66a]

There is also the matter that in the primary teaching text on the Supper (1 Cor. 11), it is certain that leavened bread would have been used by a Gentile Corinthian church. Unleavened bread was completely foreign to the Greeks and it would have made no sense to them to do so, especially in the context of a meal. (One wonders whether they would even know how to make unleaved bread)

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by fredtgreco]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back