Baptism & New Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
God is able to do a miracle in them to have them regenerated and saved. Just would be done apart from the Infant baptism.
David, I am not sure if you have reflected on the full nature of covenant theology from both a Reformed Paedobaptist and a Reformed Baptist perspective. You might find both these fairly brief books helpful "Covenants Made Simple: Understanding God's Unfolding Promises to His People" [Paedobaptist] and "Covenant Theology: A Reformed Baptist Perspective" [Baptist]

David, I am not sure if you have reflected on the full nature of covenant theology from both a Reformed Paedobaptist and a Reformed Baptist perspective. You might find both these fairly brief books helpful "Covenants Made Simple: Understanding God's Unfolding Promises to His People" [Paedobaptist] and "Covenant Theology: A Reformed Baptist Perspective" [Baptist]
Thank you, as what I have read from a RB position was Parts of John Gil, and most of AH Strong so far.

Every time that water baptism is mention din the NT though, it appears to be describing given to those who believe in Jesus as Lord. One can make inference that some places means all in family, be that would be reading ones presumptions into the text itself.

You are guilty of a few things here:
1) eisegesis
2) presuppositional thinking
3) Dispensationalizing the way God has always worked in regard to salvation and specifically families.

Last edited:
Dispensationalizing the way God has always worked
Scott, I have come to see there are problems with the Reformed Baptist argument, especially in relation to the New Covenant. But I don't think the 'dispensational' argument is a good argument:
  • The 1689 Baptist Confession is about 150 years older than when dispensationalism first started. So its theology predates dispensationalism by over a centuary.
  • Ch 7:1 of both the WCF and the 1689 Confession is the same. Thus both confessions highlight the importance of covenant theology.
  • The rest of ch 7 in the 1689 Confession does emphasise the one plan of salvation and the historic redemptive outworking of that plan. This is the very opposite of dispensationalism which emphasises God has different plans for Israel and the Church.

Stephen,
In use the term loosely. (d)ispensational. Not, (D)ispensational.
Scott, I have come to see there are problems with the Reformed Baptist argument, especially in relation to the New Covenant. But I don't think the 'dispensational' argument is a good argument:
  • The 1689 Baptist Confession is about 150 years older than when dispensationalism first started. So its theology predates dispensationalism by over a centuary.

As a system....it's been around for a lot longer than that. There are some writings from the 1st century that were premill.
  • [*]Ch 7:1 of both the WCF and the 1689 Confession is the same. Thus both confessions highlight the importance of covenant theology.

Not the same way....

As a system....it's been around for a lot longer than that. There are some writings from the 1st century that were premill.
You mean Historic Premill. Not the same as dispensationalism. You are comparing apples and oranges.

• Not the same way....
Well actually yes. 7:1 in both the WCF and the 1689 both affirm the importance of covenant theology itself. That is sufficient proof to show the 1689 is not dispensational.

• Ch 7:1 of both the WCF and the 1689 Confession is the same. Thus both confessions highlight the importance of covenant theology.
  • The rest of ch 7 in the 1689 Confession does emphasise the one plan of salvation and the historic redemptive outworking of that plan. This is the very opposite of dispensationalism which emphasises God has different plans for Israel and the Church.
Dispensationalism , at least the classic version as made famous by Scofield, would hold that God saved under the law in the OT, and under Grace in the NT. Israel and the Church are always seen to be 2 separate parts of the salvation plans of God.
I think the confusion come be due to Reformed baptist would hold to the NC being more new than Presbyterians, who seem to hold with it being a full completion/extension of the OC/COG. Also, the question of water baptism and when the Church actually was founded comes into play here.

Stephen,
In use the term loosely. (d)ispensational. Not, (D)ispensational.

• Not the same way....
One of the main positions of the ECF would be what would be called later on Historical premil. Just curious as to what you meant "Not the same way>"

One of the main positions of the ECF would be what would be called later on Historical premil. Just curious as to what you meant "Not the same way>"

That's not completely accurate. Premil was only one option among any. It was not the positoin of the ECF. Further, the earliest premil document, the Didache, is actually pre-wrath, not historical premil. Finally, they would have been historicist per their hermeneutics, not futurist.

That's not completely accurate. Premil was only one option among any. It was not the positoin of the ECF. Further, the earliest premil document, the Didache, is actually pre-wrath, not historical premil. Finally, they would have been historicist per their hermeneutics, not futurist.
Many of the ECF did hold a premil version of the Second Coming though, as they looked the Kingdom to come upon the earth at that time it seems.

What passage in the NT though would indicate that those who have not received Jesus as their Lord are now included under it, as all who put on Christ and have the Holy Spirit only seemed to be now included?

How about Acts 2:39 - "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

The difference would be that the rite towards the children was given by God under the OC to testify that they were part of the Covenant relationship with God as in Corporate Israel, but the NT sign identities that one has individual relationship basis now with God. OT sign was potential, NT one is actual.

As I understand it (correct me if I misunderstood), you seem to be saying that circumcision was a sign of being within the National Covenant of God with Israel. But Romans 4:11 says that the sign of circumcision was a seal of the righteousness of faith.

1. Election is completely unconditional. Even believing parents does not make you more likely to be elect.

I'll push back on #1.

Rather, I see it that this child is already greatly advantaged when compared to the children growing up in pagan cultures outside the church (See Romans 3:1-4)

Romans 3 is where I go. Of course election is unconditional, but believing parents are an advantage in “much every way”.

Romans 3:1-2
What advantage then hath the Jew? Or what profit is there in curcumcision? Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Moreover, as Luke shows there is greater judgment for greater knowledge, Luke 12:47, we see culpability as the result of a great intellectual advantage, the knowledge of God’s will (and the guilt attributed to wasting it).

Romans 3 is where I go. Of course election is unconditional, but believing parents are an advantage in “much every way”.

Romans 3:1-2
What advantage then hath the Jew? Or what profit is there in curcumcision? Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Moreover, as Luke shows there is greater judgment for greater knowledge, Luke 12:47, we see culpability as the result of a great intellectual advantage, the knowledge of God’s will (and the guilt attributed to wasting it).

I remember discussing this kind of thing with a baptist (and 4 point calvinist - he didn't like the 'L') pastor, and he could not square the covenantal view with the typical strong Calvinism of reformed people.

I can sympathize with his view. After all, (his reasoning) if God elects people sovereignly and unconditionally, what does it even matter if someone is 'advantaged' in terms of hearing the gospel?

I think this is where we need to emphasize both God's sovereignty and human responsibility as the Bible does. As Jesus says, no one knows the father except the one to whom the Son reveals him, but then immediately afterwards says "come to me all you who are weary". He emphasizes both God's sovereignty and human responsibility. It is clear that the Bible teaches both. It teaches that a) no one comes to the son unless he is given to him by the father, but also teaches b) that the one who grows up in a covenant home is greatly advantaged and will receive stricter judgment for rejecting the gospel.

Also, we need to remind people that God uses certain means to accomplish his elective purposes. The primary means of bringing people to faith is via their membership in the local church, where they hear the word, and we know the Holy Spirit works there, bringing about Spiritual life.

Thanks for your post.

How about Acts 2:39 - "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."
good question, and my answers would be that Peter was addressing Jews who would have tied that into what they knew of the OC, was during the transition time between OC/NC, and that children does not have to refer to babies.

As I understand it (correct me if I misunderstood), you seem to be saying that circumcision was a sign of being within the National Covenant of God with Israel. But Romans 4:11 says that the sign of circumcision was a seal of the righteousness of faith.
Yes, a sign of His own personal faith towards God and His promises, but not directly tied into infants from just that passage by itself.

I remember discussing this kind of thing with a baptist (and 4 point calvinist - he didn't like the 'L') pastor, and he could not square the covenantal view with the typical strong Calvinism of reformed people.

I can sympathize with his view. After all, (his reasoning) if God elects people sovereignly and unconditionally, what does it even matter if someone is 'advantaged' in terms of hearing the gospel?

I think this is where we need to emphasize both God's sovereignty and human responsibility as the Bible does. As Jesus says, no one knows the father except the one to whom the Son reveals him, but then immediately afterwards says "come to me all you who are weary". He emphasizes both God's sovereignty and human responsibility. It is clear that the Bible teaches both. It teaches that a) no one comes to the son unless he is given to him by the father, but also teaches b) that the one who grows up in a covenant home is greatly advantaged and will receive stricter judgment for rejecting the gospel.

Also, we need to remind people that God uses certain means to accomplish his elective purposes. The primary means of bringing people to faith is via their membership in the local church, where they hear the word, and we know the Holy Spirit works there, bringing about Spiritual life.

Thanks for your post.
I always though thtat the advanatge for the children being raised up inside a Christian home would be exposure to the Gospel, and also being raised up in the church setting.

and that children does not have to refer to babies

In the Greek 'τέκνον'. It is the same word used in Matt 2:16

16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Beth-lehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Mt 2:16.

You are guilty of a few things here:
1) eisegesis
2) presuppositional thinking
3) Dispensationalizing the way God has always worked in regard to salvation and specifically families.

If memory serves me correctly, about 2 years ago, Rev. Winzer made an interesting case, one in which I hadn't previously thought about: that any system and/or hermeneutic that isn't covenantal and Reformed, is by definition, dispensational. He is no longer here to defend his position (maybe someone can come up with the thread with his case), but, in part, I think he was getting at something recently debated: if the visible church is no longer covenantal (in the sense it is not for believers and their children), how can it be deemed covenantal? That is a legitimate question to ask and wrestle with :2cents:

In the Greek 'τέκνον'. It is the same word used in Matt 2:16

16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Beth-lehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Mt 2:16.
It seems that the grek term has a wide variety of meanings though, and some of them seem to be describing one older than an infant.
https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/teknon

If memory serves me correctly, about 2 years ago, Rev. Winzer made an interesting case, one in which I hadn't previously thought about: that any system and/or hermeneutic that isn't covenantal and Reformed, is by definition, dispensational. He is no longer here to defend his position (maybe someone can come up with the thread with his case), but, in part, I think he was getting at something recently debated: if the visible church is no longer covenantal (in the sense it is not for believers and their children), how can it be deemed covenantal? That is a legitimate question to ask and wrestle with :2cents:
I think the basic problem here would be that the historical way that reformed theology was determined to be ion the be at time of the Reformation was indeed the Covenant viewpoint of Presbyterians, but the Baptists who also took on Covenant theology as expressed in the 1689 Confession would to same theology, save for baptism and certain other Baptist views.
The question to me would be just what must be held to/with in order to be seen as being really Reformed?

I think the basic problem here would be that the historical way that reformed theology was determined to be ion the be at time of the Reformation was indeed the Covenant viewpoint of Presbyterians, but the Baptists who also took on Covenant theology as expressed in the 1689 Confession would to same theology, save for baptism and certain other Baptist views.
The question to me would be just what must be held to/with in order to be seen as being really Reformed?

I don't wish to speak authoritatively on behalf of Rev. Winzer, but I think the thrust of his message was something like "Regardless of what one 'says', if what is affirmed on one hand (covenantalism), is removed with the other (children removed from it), this is non-covenantalism. Rather than being more inclusive (giving the sign and seal to girls who were formerly excluded), now it is less so (removing boys from applied sign and seal) in that scheme".

I don't wish to speak authoritatively on behalf of Rev. Winzer, but I think the thrust of his message was something like "Regardless of what one 'says', if what is affirmed on one hand (covenantalism), is removed with the other (children removed from it), this is non-covenantalism. Rather than being more inclusive (giving the sign and seal to girls who were formerly excluded), now it is less so (removing boys from applied sign and seal) in that scheme".

This is exactly what I was referring to (not his post on the matter, but the principle itself). It is a form of hyper-dispensationalizing God's covenant and things inherent with said covenant.

If memory serves me correctly, about 2 years ago, Rev. Winzer made an interesting case, one in which I hadn't previously thought about: that any system and/or hermeneutic that isn't covenantal and Reformed, is by definition, dispensational.

This is exactly what I was referring to (not his post on the matter, but the principle itself). It is a form of hyper-dispensationalizing God's covenant and things inherent with said covenant.
As I said I do have problems with Reformed Baptist theology, but I think there is a problem using the word dispensational in this way. As I said dispensationalism as a theological system did not exist prior to the 19 century. It simply did not (the 1689 Baptist confession is a 17 century document). The concept of the covenant itself is defended in the WCF 7:1, and this is the same in the 1689 confession. Further the 1689 confession develops the pactum salutis, the historia salutis and the ordo salutis in 7:2 and 7:3. These are distinct Reformed terms. One may or may not like the way the way the 1689 confession structures its cvenantal framework but this is not the same as calling it dispensational.

Brandon,
As u posted, I was just pulling it up myself.

As I said I do have problems with Reformed Baptist theology, but I think there is a problem using the word dispensational in this way.

Stephen,
I will refer you to your previous interaction on the matter-specifically what Bruce B. intended for clarity-to which, he has said better than I and to which, I agree.

You may want to read through that thread again as I am not arguing any differently than what BB and MW said (even though my extrapolation lacked).

https://puritanboard.com/threads/are-reformed-baptists-dispensational.92917/#post-1133221

For example:

Not all dispensational approaches are dispensationalist in the historical meaning of the term, but they are by definition "dispensational" in contrast to being "covenantal."
~MW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back