Banner of Truth price hike..thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm really not going to able to afford Puritan/Reformed literature much any more...

Banner1.jpg

Banner2.jpg

Inflation in England must really stink..

Last edited:
Wow. I just checked the bookstore from my computer and it shows the same prices.

Maybe they are Zimbabwe dollars?

Really, it must be a massive glitch. If you click on "select options" you see more normal prices.

Indeed, Chris.

I am, in fact, willing to part with my Flavel set for a significant reduction: only $5,000,000!

Anyone interested should PM me right away! ;)

Peace,
Alan

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that books that should be public domain are still being charged for, can someone explain that perhaps I do not understand public domain. To me public domain is after a 100 years or maybe it's a 150, the book becomes free and in essence public. Hence public domain. Whatever happened to that?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Public domain means you're free to do with it what you want, not that it's "free". You're perfectly free to go ahead and purchase a copy of a 400 year old book, (or use someone like Google who has already found one for you), type it all up, set it into a nice typeform, add some explanatory footnotes, maybe research an introduction, and then bind it for yourself.

Or, if you can't be bothered to do all that work, you could pay a few bucks to someone who has done it and is preserving the work it for a new generation...well worth it for me :)

Or think of it this way, if no one was willing to pay for public domain works brought back into print, we wouldn't have any.

Last edited:
To me public domain is after a 100 years or maybe it's a 150, the book becomes free and in essence public.

It's a complex situation in the US, with different laws in other countries.

Basically, for a published work anything with a copyright date before 1923 is fair game, and you can bring out your own edition. (Under the Mickey Mouse Protection Act (officially the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998) nothing new will enter the public domain until 2019; don't be surprised if Congress caves to corporate lobbying and pushes the dates out again).

For items published after that date but before 1977, you have to look to see whether proper notice was given and/or the work registered (and the requirements aren't consistent), After 1977 it gets really messy.

Different rules for unpublished works. Either life of the author plus 70 years, or 120 years from creation of the work.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that books that should be public domain are still being charged for, can someone explain that perhaps I do not understand public domain. To me public domain is after a 100 years or maybe it's a 150, the book becomes free and in essence public. Hence public domain. Whatever happened to that?

Anything published before 1923 is in the public domain. (Why 1923? Don't ask me.) So, yes, these things are free to republish. But, in order to republish in new editions, they need to be edited, proofread, set in type, and the physical books must be printed and bound. And all of that costs money to the publishers.

That's why books - even books published before 1923 - are sold, not given away.

Indeed, but printing, binding, shipping, etc. are not free. Most of these books are free online however.

Now I know what to charge the BoT folks when I complete my translation (six months into the effort at present), Lord be willing, of Bèze's Tractationes Theologicae volumes. :moneywings:

Rights to publish the content are usually a relatively small expense for a publisher, somewhere in the area of 10-25 percent of their total cost even for a well-established author, and perhaps even less if the author is unknown. Printing, typesetting, editing, marketing, office expenses and personnel... these things make up the bulk of a book's cost. So if you want a printed copy, you will still need to pay for it, even if the publisher acquires the content for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back