Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm interested in learning how to play the banjo and need some guidance on how to get started, what kind of banjo to buy, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

j

There are some excellent books to help. The classic is Earl Scruggs book on how to play the 5 string banjo (assuming bluegrass banjo is to your liking). Mel Bay wrote another one that's good for beginners, as did Doug Dillard.

As for banjos themselves, the best available are the Gibson Mastertone and the Deering. Expect to pay thousands for those. You can get less expensive models, though. Check e-bay for a used one.
Alvarez makes a decent one for a lot less. But get one that stays in tune.

Thank you Dr. Kistler, I enjoy the sound of the banjo for ragtime and bluegrass, so I guess I'm undecided right now.

Ragtime is normally a tenor banjo, ie. four strings. Bluegrass and Old Time use a five string banjo; the fifth being a 'drone' string. There are a whole host of styles of picking to use in Bluegrass and Old Time. Ragtime is pretty much played with a plectrum. BG and OT are either played with picks or without depending upon the style.

I play three finger Scruggs style most of the time when playing BG and Claw Hammer OT banjo.

I'm also a banjo luthier. Be careful when you by an instrument. If you buy the wrong one you will burn it. A cheap banjo is a pain to play. Some of them are impossible to play, even for a pro. Deering actually makes some very good entry level instruments.

Thank you for the warning. A friend of mine is lending me her banjo so I can play around with it to see if it's really something I want to invest in. It's a five string and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm probably looking to spend $200 to $300 bucks so I'll probably buy a used banjo from a local music shop. What should I look for in the actual construction of the instrument? What are a few other well known banjo makers?

Very nice, but I'm not interested in competing.

[video=youtube;C4jgRIFwbsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4jgRIFwbsY[/video]

Thank you for the warning. A friend of mine is lending me her banjo so I can play around with it to see if it's really something I want to invest in. It's a five string and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm probably looking to spend $200 to $300 bucks so I'll probably buy a used banjo from a local music shop. What should I look for in the actual construction of the instrument? What are a few other well known banjo makers?

Trying to tell you what to look for is difficult. There are a LOT of nuances to a banjo. Some sure fire stoppers are a stained fingerboard (Implies softwood made to look like ebony.), guitar tuners (banjo tuners are planetary: the keys will look straight, not at a 90 degree angle to the peg), a thin body, a bowed neck, any of these are a NO DEAL for sure.

You can get a Deering Good Time banjo brand spanking new for 350 pretty much all of the time. They are a fantastic beginner banjo. If you can find one used snatch it up. If it needs a bit of work just ship it to me.

Of course if you find Pre-War Mastertone for under 5,000 dollars in any condition buy it. I'll split the profit with you. I actually picked one up at a yard sale once. . . . sweet story!

Ok, I found a used Fender banjo for a $100 bucks that came with a new gig bag, new set of strings, tuner and strap. It has some wear on the head but it sounds great. My dad found it for me; he’s been playing guitar for 30 plus years and said it really sounded good so I bought it. The guy who sold it was a guitar player and I believe he used this five-string like a guitar, but he said it just wasn’t the sound he was looking for.

My next question, how is a banjo tuned? If I play a D7 cord does the 7 refer to the fret?

Standard banjo tuning for a 5 string is open G. It is tuned as follows:

1st string D
2nd B
3rd G
4th D
5th G

The first string is at the bottom of the instrument. The fifth is the short one on top. Here is a picture that shows it if you are confused:
tuning5stringbanjo2.jpg

BTW, Folk of the Wood has some pretty good basic intro lessons for string instruments for free online.

D7 is a type of chord, not fret position.

Thanks again. I found this fella helpful as well.

[video=youtube;qo0cy0REMY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo0cy0REMY8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back