Babylon 5 - the best Sci-Fi series ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I really enjoyed this and quote from the series constantly. One of my favourite quotes is from Lenir to Delenn, "Understanding is not required, only obedience."

There were several episodes which stand out. One which annoyed me at the start is the interrogation of Sheridan. This explores the idea of following orders, language and 'reality'. It goes well beyond entertainment if you want to go there. (I am a little worried that it exists, as a 'template' for interrogation.)

One of the most significant episodes (I.M.H.O.) is "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" which explores deconstruction. The Historians has been ripping into Sheridan's legacy when his wife now 140 gatecrashes the discussion.
Delenn comes forward to say, "John Sheridan, was a good man"
One of the academics says, "You came all this way, just to say that?"
Delenn replies, "You came just as far.. ...to say less"
Takashi the other academic "But this is extraordinary... there's so much more we'd like to ask you, so much more to we'd like to know."
Delenn (turning on them) "You do not wish to know anything. You only wish to speak.
That which you know you ignore because it is inconvenient. And that which you do not know, you invent"

That last bit taken from the final script (thanks ebay) sums up my attitude to liberal theology. It is followed by a very funny scene some years later when an earth faction tries to "use" the B5 crew for their own ends, so it's not all serious.

[Yes I was a little provoked by Dr Who fans. You guys just do not know what you are missing! PM me if you would like to borrow the series 1 DVD's]

Babylon 5 rocks! It is also the only sci-fi program that had anything nice to say about Christianity (see Walking through Gethsemane). I miss it. I wish it was still one tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back