B. B. Warfield on the German Higher Life movement and its fanatical tendencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
It was a very remarkable campaign which was conducted by Robert Pearsall Smith in Great Britain and Germany during the years 1873–1875 in the interests of what is known as “the Higher Christian Life.” It has left behind it two imposing monuments. One of them, the great “Keswick Movement,” is known wherever the English language is spoken. The other, a parallel movement in Germany, spoken of there as “Die Heiligungsbewegung,” the “Sanctification Movement,” deserves to be better known than it appears to be. ...

For more, see B. B. Warfield on the German Higher Life movement and its fanatical tendencies.

My German grandmother told me about preachers (Pentecostal, by the way she told it) who came to her village, and by whose preaching she, a girl of 12, was converted. If my information is correct is correct, that is shortly after the end of the Second World War, when she would have been living in Mecklenburg.

The religious climate of 20th-century Germany is of some interest to me. I appreciate you sharing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back