Avoiding Anti-Semitism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSSwing

Puritan Board Freshman
One of the most difficult biases to rattle loose from Arminians or Universalists is the idea that "Jesus died for the sins of the world" means He must have died for every single person in the world. Understanding that most of the Olivet Discourse and Revelation referred to AD 70 and adopting a Preterist hermeneutic helped me immensely in understanding the cataclysmic gravity of the destruction of the temple and the punishment on the Jews for rejecting their Messiah. When one understands the 1st century Jew's understanding of ONLY ethnic Jews as the chosen people, it becomes more and more obvious that when a Jew heard Jesus talk about saving the world, he would not be thinking about every single person; he would be shocked that Jesus is talking about including non-Jews at all. When I re-read the Gospels from these perspectives, I found it EVERYWHERE.

As I seek to develop this understanding further, including Jewish religious beliefs in the present day, does anyone have good sources or advice particularly on avoiding anti-Semitism? I'm surprised we haven't yet found a way to distinguish between Jewish ancestry and Jewish religion. Should we start calling the latter "Talmudism" maybe? I think we need a way of communicating the extremism of the Jewish religion that rejected and continues to reject the Messiah while simultaneously not assuming that this is what all or even most ethnic Jews believe. Note that in the Middle Ages, Jews often continued to be persecuted even AFTER converting to Christianity, and this is certainly not an example we want to follow.

Israeli here.
While very few Jews would accept this, we must still reject the idea of "religious antisemitism". Not all criticism of Orthodox Judaism is antisemitic.
Can the close connection the rabbies forged between Judaism (the nation, of which I am part) and Judaism (the false religion) mean criticizers of the religion slip into antisemitism? Yes. I believe this probably also happened over the ages.
Is any religious criticism, or evangelism attempts, inherently anti-Semitic? Not at all. You don't have to accept the Nazi reading of people like Augustine, Luther et al.
If criticism of Orthodox Judaism is antisemitic, you just coloured most of the Zionist movement with antisemitism. That is ridiculous.

Israeli here.
While very few Jews would accept this, we must still reject the idea of "religious antisemitism". Not all criticism of Orthodox Judaism is antisemitic.
Can the close connection the rabbies forged between Judaism (the nation, of which I am part) and Judaism (the false religion) mean criticizers of the religion slip into antisemitism? Yes. I believe this probably also happened over the ages.
Is any religious criticism, or evangelism attempts, inherently anti-Semitic? Not at all. You don't have to accept the Nazi reading of people like Augustine, Luther et al.
If criticism of Orthodox Judaism is antisemitic, you just coloured most of the Zionist movement with antisemitism. That is ridiculous.
Thanks for joining the conversation. Do you have any advice on how people can refer to those who advocate Talmudic Jewish supremacy in a way that will not be confused with criticizing ethnic Jews in general?

Is criticizing Jews antisemitism? Why would that be? All cultures should be open for criticism (without hatred).

In terms of ethic Jews, as far as I have seen, MOST are atheists.

Thanks for joining the conversation. Do you have any advice on how people can refer to those who advocate Talmudic Jewish supremacy in a way that will not be confused with criticizing ethnic Jews in general?
I am not completely sure. Orthodox, and many secular Jews, at least in Israel, have been taught to associate Christianity with the Spanish inquisition, the holocaust, and pogroms. Additionally, evangelism itself is seen as a negative, evil phenomenon (unless they are trying to convert secular and Christian Jews of course).
Something that can probably help a little is making sure you stick to the theology.
Another thing that can help is to point out the Biblical, Jewish nature of your claims. You don't have to pretend that you are just another sect of Judaism - they see right through that, and doing that has some deadly effects on Israeli evangelicalism - but pointing out the old testament supports your claim, and that the holiday they just celebrated used to point to Christ, is always a good thing.
As far as removing stumbling blocks goes, you probably want to stress your protestantism. At least Israelis will assume you offer insence to a statue of the (enter 8,000 grandiose titles here) virgin Mary until otherwise proven.

Another good thing, that I don't really know from experience, is probably just handwaving stupid answers. When I still believed some Hebrew Roots nonsense, this teacher at my church tried to show me that I'm wrong. For some reason I told him "that sounds like replacement theology" (not proud of that!). Instead of telling me it isn't - being a dispensationalist himself - he just told me "let's see what it says" and moved on.

I assume things may be more relaxed in the US since there are more Christians there, but trying to convert a Jew to Christ can be like trying to convert an American to Islam.

Even though he is a staunch Arminian, Dr. Michael Brown is probably going to be your best resource regarding evangelizing or ministering to Jews. He is a Jew himself who has spent the greater part of his 40+ years in ministry in this work. His 4 or 5 volume "Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus," is really the only work of its kind to my knowledge.

https://store.askdrbrown.org/products/answering-jewish-objections-to-Jesus-complete-set-special

Even though he is a staunch Arminian, Dr. Michael Brown is probably going to be your best resource regarding evangelizing or ministering to Jews. He is a Jew himself who has spent the greater part of his 40+ years in ministry in this work.

Agreed. His Our Hands Are Stained with Blood and his recent one on Christian Anti-Semitism are helpful.

PB's "Jerusalemblade" is (by his own allegation) of Jewish extraction. He's shared to the PB some of his thoughts on such matters.

So just what is the hard evidence of this supposed Jewish domination of world finances?

So just what is the hard evidence of this supposed Jewish domination of world finances?
If this is a serious question, most companies (including banks) have their leadership listed on their websites. So, that would be the most direct way to find out.

f this is a serious question, most companies (including banks) have their leadership listed on their websites. So, that would be the most direct way to find out.

It is a serious question, but I'm not about to research names of the boards of hundreds of international banks. That wouldn't tell you anything objective anyway. If there is something substantial to the claim, surely something has been put together showing the evidence. The supposed Rothschild banking cabal is largely a conspiracy theory as far as can tell, fanned by an anti-semitic opinion piece in the 1830's. A powerful banking family to be sure, but hardly all-powerful like some kind of Dr. Evil. Open to seeing good evidence to the contrary if it exists. That's probably for another thread though...

Last edited:
Historically in the US it was very difficult to get hired on Wall Street as a Jew or other ethnic minority, even through to the second half of the 20th century. I read that as a footnote in Benjamin Graham's Intelligent Investor. So Jews definitely don't dominate American banking.
They may have a disproportionate career interest in finance or accounting - my relatively small Hebrew class at a public college had multiple accounting and econ majors - but there's not some kind of cabal going on. It may just be that those are solid jobs with good pay.
Many Korean people want their kids to be doctors and lawyers but no one would say there's a Korean medical-legal cabal.

It is a serious question, but I'm not about to research names of the boards of hundreds of international banks. That wouldn't tell you anything objective anyway. If there is something substantial to the claim, surely something has been put together showing the evidence. The supposed Rothschild banking cabal is largely a conspiracy theory as far as can tell, fanned by an anti-semitic opinion piece in the 1830's. A powerful banking family to be sure, but hardly all-powerful like some kind of Dr. Evil. Open to seeing good evidence to the contrary if it exists. That's probably for another thread though...
I was just giving an answer if you wanted to find out since you asked. I personally don't care who runs the banks, Jew or otherwise. The reality is, they are in bad shape along with the economy at the moment, and I would put the blame on the current regime in charge of this country.

It's always fun to work Judah Benjamin into a discussion of this sort. If someone defends him, you denounce them as being a racist pro-Confederate. If they attack him, you denounce them as being a racist anti-Semitic.

And then there is George Soros, the Jewish Nazi. Another fun one.

I hope y'all realize people ain't gonna realize when you are joking and not in this conversation. I am not so sure it's all just a joke anymore, and Dispensationalists and Jews who may bump into this are not going to be reading this charitibly.

I have been lurking this forum the last year or so. Mostly searching through old threads for information. I saw this thread and felt compelled to register and reply.

I have found myself going down a similar route of theology as @DanSSwing and noticed certain realities that surround the Jews between Jesus day and present day. But I haven't seen it posted in this thread yet so I thought I would share a few points to focus on to keep from falling into an antisemitic mindset...

1. [Mark 12:31 NASB95] [31] “... ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ ...”

2. [Matthew 5:44 NASB95] [44] “... love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"

3. [Galatians 3:28-29 NASB95] [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.

Let us not forget that we were once children of wrath, lost in this fallen world. But by God's grace He called us into saving faith and adopted us into His family. So too will the rest of the elect be called out of darkness. Some of which will come from the Jews. We must always remember this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back