Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Remember the film, "Avatar?" Disney has announced that there will be four sequels - in 2022, 2024, 2026, and 2028.

This news is being greeted with almost universal yawns on Twitter. Disney might be in trouble.

Remember the film, "Avatar?" Disney has announced that there will be four sequels - in 2022, 2024, 2026, and 2028.

This news is being greeted with almost universal yawns on Twitter. Disney might be in trouble.
That may have been the most disappointing movie ever made.

When I go back and watch old Frank Capra films or the like, it makes me want to cry. I know, I know, Hollywood has never been a mount of virtue in any sense which that expression might be taken... but at least they used to make good movies.

That movie had a weak story that was preachy, to boot. Its only real strength was the excellence of the 3-D visual effects, which looked amazing at the time but have been duplicated enough by now that we no longer care.

I wonder if Disney is enamored with the movie's message and doesn't mind the preachiness because it likes the message. Perhaps. Even more likely is that some executives merely looked at how much money the movie made and decided that sequels would automatically be profitable. In that case, they might be making a mistake.

What made Avatar great when it was released was the timing of the 3D experience. Even though I am not a fan of 3D I still thought it was a interesting leap in the movie world. I enjoyed the story and didn't find it overly preachy like some movies that are being released. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention much to the hidden messages and was more interested in the special effects.

That movie had a weak story that was preachy, to boot. Its only real strength was the excellence of the 3-D visual effects, which looked amazing at the time but have been duplicated enough by now that we no longer care.

I wonder if Disney is enamored with the movie's message and doesn't mind the preachiness because it likes the message. Perhaps. Even more likely is that some executives merely looked at how much money the movie made and decided that sequels would automatically be profitable. In that case, they might be making a mistake.

What exactly was the message? It's been so long since it came out and I've only seen it once( I think).

Disney will be just fine! According to some of our politicians the world is going to end by 2030, so these sequels will be like 11th hour thrillers. The actors/actresses slated to play the tribal avatar people of Na'vi on the other hand are in big trouble. By the next sequel it will be culturally inappropriate for humans to play the roles of humanoids in movies and they will be canceled never to find jobs in Hollywood again. They'll join the ranks of future actors/actresses canceled for doing voice overs of animals in the future. That too will be wildly inappropriate.

I sometimes can appreciate a movie even if it affirms a worldview or message I disagree with, provided it does so skillfully and resists unfair caricatures of opposing views. But Avatar presents its message clunkily and without appropriate nuance.

Oh I see. The usual narrative then.

Except it’s the white man that saves the “natives” by becoming a native.

They needed someone outside of their civilization to “incarnate” and save it.

Even when they want create propaganda, they can’t ever seem to shake echoes of God himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back