Authorized Version - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
For those who are interested, as mentioned previously, quadricentennial commemorations are planned to mark the occasion of the 400th anniversary of the 1611 Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible, which will take place in 2011.

The following websites contain information and/or will be updated periodically in the coming months and years about the coming events.

2011Trust
The King James Version 400th Anniversary Website
KJV - 400 years in the year 2011

-----Added 12/16/2008 at 11:44:00 EST-----

King James Version (KJV) Bible 400th Anniversary (1611 - 2011)

2011 looketh like a good year. 400 years and still going strong. The last link above heas a nice countdown widget you can get, and the first one has this nice quote -

"To read it is to feel simultaneously at home, a citizen of the world, and a traveller through eternity."

Maybe 'bump' this thread in a year or so when the websites are actually functional.

Old English is Anglo/Saxon. Did you ever read Beowulf? It was written in Old English. Most schools now merely teach the translation. Old English used both runes and and alphabet depending upon time and location of the writer. It is a pretty interesting language.

Se sy ne aeldu Englisc.

Wow, haven't read anything like that in a while.

There was a wonderful Anglo-Saxon and medieval English literature course at my alma mater; Beowulf in real Old English is quite interesting.

English major, per chance?

Se sy ne aeldu Englisc.

English major, per chance?

Thou thinkest? :p

In a cynical way, I find great glee in pointing out Lawrence's grammar errors. :sing: pthth

I was a Bible / Biblical Languages and English major with an emphasis on grammar and linguistics. I love languages and grammar. I'm weird that way. But, in my harried life my grammar gets rather poor at times. And, yes Joe catches me often, but it goes both ways :smug:

Okay, question...are there any special 400th anniversary edition of the KJV coming out? If there is one, and depending on its presentation, I'd buy one.

I bet there will be!! At least I hope so. If not, I need to open a publishing shop. KJV printed by KJV lovers!!!!

Whyfor ye type as such regarding thee KJV?

Wherefore dost thou type such regarding the KJV?

Could also be "Wherefore dost thou type such regarding thy KJV?"

Second person personal pronouns beginning with "th" are singular. Those beginning with "y" are plural. The old English definitely was more precise. I didn't know that about the --th though. Thanks!

Disclaimer - the reason I love catching Lawrence is because, though I love grammar, mine is largely intuitive. He understands it much better than I, so it's just a sort of prideful kick I get out of catching him. And, it's not that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back