Authorized (Mark Ward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Ward, Mark. Authorized: The Use and Misuse of the King James Version. Lexham.

I'm nervous about this post. I fear what is about to happen. On the other hand, this is a good book on the nature of communication and understanding. One other thing: this does not get into the philosophy of manuscript history.

This is not an attack upon the King James Version. Ward probably spends more time praising and defending it. What it is, however, is a defense of the idea of translating, since our target language is always a moving target.

The KJV should be revered. As Ward notes, this version, like many older hymns, “binds generations together.” No one would dream of reading Psalm 23 at a graveside in any translation other than the KJV. We might as well anticipate one objection: is the KJV easier to memorize? No. Because it was a force of cultural osmosis, the KJV was reinforced through all media for centuries. That is why it “seems” easier.

The real difficulty with the KJV is not the obsolete words. You can pick up a book and figure it out. The true danger is in “false friends,” words that we use today but have changed in meaning. Ward lists several:

“How long halt ye between two opinions” (1 Kgs 18:21).

We use the word “halt” today. It means stop. That really does not make sense in Elijah’s speech, but we can still get the essence of what he means. At this point, we still have communication between the two languages. Halt, however, did not mean stop in this context. It means “limp,” as other translations note.

“God commendeth his love.”

We use the word “commend” today. Is that what Paul means in this passage? Is God putting forth his love as a good idea? Maybe. It kind of works. Is that what the word actually meant then, though? Not really. “Commendeth,” as noted by John Milton in 1644, is “to set off to advantage…to adorn.” That makes more sense.

Not only are the words misleading, but so is the punctuation. Elizabethan punctuation was not as defined as ours today. That is a very good point. Ward does not bring this part out, but have you read places in Jonathan Edwards where there seem to be “random” commas? Edwards is not guilty of comma splices. A few hundred years ago, commas often signaled “breathing spaces.”

“But fornication, and all uncleanness….is not convenient” (Eph. 5:3-4).

Does Paul really think that people think that filthiness is “convenient?” If you avoid fornication and the like because it is inconvenient, that is still a good life choice, but that is a rather odd reason for it. “Convenient,” obviously, means something else.

“Remove not thy neighbor’s landmark.”

Is God telling his people not to take away the boundary marker in their neighbor’s field? In a sense, yes. That is not quite what “remove” means. God is not saying, “Do not take it and get rid of it.” He is saying “Do not move it.” Do not change the property line. That makes more sense.

There are probably more “false friends” out there, but Ward establishes his point.

Is the KJV on a Fifth Grade Level?

No, it is not for the simple reason that what we call “a fifth grade level” is a moving target. As Ward notes, “Reading level assumes contemporary language.: No one, no matter how educated, and certainly no fifth grader, uses “besom when broom is available.”

Ward interacts with Joel Beeke’s otherwise excellent article on why one should use the KJV. Beeke has one comment that deserves some mention. Should we accommodate dumbed down English? Should we not strive for better? I like the idea. The problem is that such a standard means that C. S. Lewis, probably the finest prose stylist of the 20th century, wrote in a degenerated English. I am not willing to go that far.

At the end of the day, communication requires at least two things: understanding between you and me. The KJV, arguably the finest relic in the English language, does not always ensure understanding in communication.

I am thankful for the TBS Westminster bible and RHB study bible that helps indicate such modern words with different older meanings.

I don't think the language of the King James is obsolete. It may be older, but it works. Israeli kids still read biblical Hebrew in school. Sometimes, a few difficult words need to be explained. Usually not. When you grow up reading a lot of scripture you know most of those words. Outside of places like Job it is manageable. And the difference between King James English and modern English is smaller than the difference between biblical and modern Hebrew. The changes in English grammar especially are minimal in comparison.

I don't think the language of the King James is obsolete. It may be older, but it works. Israeli kids still read biblical Hebrew in school. Sometimes, a few difficult words need to be explained. Usually not. When you grow up reading a lot of scripture you know most of those words. Outside of places like Job it is manageable. And the difference between King James English and modern English is smaller than the difference between biblical and modern Hebrew. The changes in English grammar especially are minimal in comparison.

Obsolete words aren't the problem. Words that we still use but have completely different meanings are. Take the word "prevent." Paul says that those who are alive will in no wise "prevent" those who have fallen asleep (from going to be with the Lord). That does not make any sense if prevent means what it normally means today. That's why translations say "precede."

Not if "broom" is better. But if it is that doesn't affect the KJV cause we can easily look "besom" up.
The fact that you have to look up words like this, and even worse, the false friends listed above, means communication is breaking down. The KJV translators themselves would not have wanted that.

Obsolete words aren't the problem. Words that we still use but have completely different meanings are. Take the word "prevent." Paul says that those who are alive will in no wise "prevent" those who have fallen asleep (from going to be with the Lord). That does not make any sense if prevent means what it normally means today. That's why translations say "precede."
There are more of these in Hebrew, and yet no one thinks Ezekiel saw electricity when he stumbles across the word "chashmal".
The bigger issue between the Authorized Version and the others is one of textual variants. I don't know who is right on the issue, but the King James is still usable.

The fact that you have to look up words like this, and even worse, the false friends listed above, means communication is breaking down. The KJV translators themselves would not have wanted that.

So let's not read or teach anything written before 1950? The same argument is used by Christians today against terms like justification, sanctification, atonement, covenant theology. If the purpose is to make Christianity and its writings as accessible as possible then there is no end point just a continuous dumbing down. And if one wishes to draw a line that line will inevitably be arbitrarily based on one's own preferences.

But at the end of the day the problem with the position of those who believe the KJV's language has become an unnecessary barrier is that they don't have a suitable alternative translation to substitute for the KJV. Who is this argument actually aimed at? Those who use the KJV clearly don't see this as a problem and we don't want to use any of the current alternatives. So if you want to change the minds of KJVers you need a suitable alternative translation to offer in its place. Until that happens there's no point constantly attacking the KJV; it only creates more antagonism.

There are more of these in Hebrew, and yet no one thinks Ezekiel saw electricity when he stumbles across the word "chashmal".
The bigger issue between the Authorized Version and the others is one of textual variants. I don't know who is right on the issue, but the King James is still usable.

The problem isn't the Hebrew term. Those are hapax legomena. The issue is the English term we used. Yes, the KJV is still usable. The issue is the fatal false friends where communication breaks down.

So let's not read or teach anything written before 1950?
Exactly
The same argument is used by Christians today against using terms like justification, sanctification, atonement, covenant theology.

No it isn't. Those terms are more or less in use today. Justification is a theologically-laden term. Besom is not.
If the purpose is to make Christianity and its writings as accessible as possible then there is no end point just a continuous dumbing down.

The point is that language changes. Full stop. It is not a matter of "dumbing down." I think CS Lewis was a superior English writer compared to a number of third rate poets in the 1600s
And if one wishes to draw a line that line will inevitably be arbitrary based on one's own preferences.

You don't really believe that. You chose to respond to me in modern English because you knew that would be a better tool for communicating.
But at the end of the day the problem with the position of those who believe the KJV's language has become an unnecessary barrier is that they don't have a suitable alternative translation to substitute for the KJV.

Seriously? Everyone who has issues with the KJV has alternative translations.

I don't think the language of the King James is obsolete.

In your opinion, will it ever become obsolete? In my opinion, that is the issue. Will there ever be a point where we will be effectively requiring people to read Latin?

We can pooh pooh the idea that the KJV is too difficult (e.g., "my five year old daughter has no difficulties") but I think that misses the issue that we're raising artificial language barriers that don't really help anyone but do have the potential to hurt. Why spend extra time explaining archaic English when you could just be explaining the text? I love the KJV too but everyone needs to realize that there is a tradeoff: there are benefits to using the KJV (continuity, a historical standard), and there are actual detriments (as there is with using another translation). But let's not pretend that detriments don't exist or dismiss anyone whom a detriment affects.

Seriously? Everyone who has issues with the KJV has alternative translations.

But these are not versions which those of us committed to the KJV wish to use. We don't accept them as of equal quality or faithfulness. So if your argument is "the KJV is obsolete use the ESV" that's never going to convince us. Instead of tearing down you should be building up. Produce an as faithful translation of the TR, which is not reliant on the heretics Westcott and Hort (ala NKJV), then we can talk.

The problem isn't the Hebrew term. Those are hapax legomena. The issue is the English term we used. Yes, the KJV is still usable. The issue is the fatal false friends where communication breaks down.
You are misunderstanding me. My point is about children in Israel that are reading biblical Hebrew.

But these are not versions which those of us committed to the KJV wish to use. We don't accept them as of equal quality or faithfulness. So if your argument is "the KJV is obsolete use the ESV" that's never going to convince us. Instead of tearing down you should be building up. Produce an as faithful translation of the TR, which is not reliant on the heretics Westcott and Hort (ala NKJV) then we can talk.

No. I believe there are faithful translations, nor do I accept your criteria. In any case, there is a good translation for your criteria: The New King James Version.

You are misunderstanding me. My point is about children in Israel that are reading biblical Hebrew.

The history of the Hebrew language, given the existence of the state of Israel, is not analogous to the English language. If you think it is, then use the following words in everyday speech:

“chambering” (Rom. 13:13), “
champaign” (Deut. 11:30),
“charger” (Matt. 14:8— it is not a horse),
“churl” (Isa. 32:7),
clouted upon their feet” (Josh. 9:5), “
cockatrice” (Isa. 11:8),
“collops” (Job 15:27),
“confection” (Exod. 30:35— it has nothing to do with sugar),
“cotes” (2 Chron. 32:28),
“covert” (2 Kings 16:18),
“wimples” (Isa. 3:22),
“stomacher” (Isa. 3:24),
, “wist” (Acts 12:9),
, “wont” (Dan. 3:19),
“the scall" (Lev. 13:30), “scrabbled” (1 Sam. 21:13),
“roller” (Lzck. 30:21— i.e., a splint),
“muffler” (Isa. 3:19),
“froward” (1 Peter 2:18),
(Deut. 22:19), “blains” (Exod 9:9),
“crookbackt” (Lev. 21:20),

In your opinion, will it ever become obsolete? In my opinion, that is the issue. Will there ever be a point where we will be effectively requiring people to read Latin?

We can pooh pooh the idea that the KJV is too difficult (e.g., "my five year old daughter has no difficulties") but I think that misses the issue that we're raising artificial language barriers that don't really help anyone but do have the potential to hurt. Why spend extra time explaining archaic English when you could just be explaining the text? I love the KJV too but everyone needs to realize that there is a tradeoff: there are benefits to using the KJV (continuity, a historical standard), and there are actual detriments (as there is with using another translation). But let's not pretend that detriments don't exist or dismiss anyone whom a detriment affects.
Of course a new translation will be needed eventually. The question is one of textual criticism, and I don't know where I stand on that (although the doctrine of preservation requires at minimum that the TR is sufficiently preserved

The history of the Hebrew language, given the existence of the state of Israel, is not analogous to the English language. If you think it is, then use the following words in everyday speech:

“chambering” (Rom. 13:13), “
champaign” (Deut. 11:30),
“charger” (Matt. 14:8— it is not a horse),
“churl” (Isa. 32:7),
clouted upon their feet” (Josh. 9:5), “
cockatrice” (Isa. 11:8),
“collops” (Job 15:27),
“confection” (Exod. 30:35— it has nothing to do with sugar),
“cotes” (2 Chron. 32:28),
“covert” (2 Kings 16:18),
“wimples” (Isa. 3:22),
“stomacher” (Isa. 3:24),
, “wist” (Acts 12:9),
, “wont” (Dan. 3:19),
“the scall" (Lev. 13:30), “scrabbled” (1 Sam. 21:13),
“roller” (Lzck. 30:21— i.e., a splint),
“muffler” (Isa. 3:19),
“froward” (1 Peter 2:18),
(Deut. 22:19), “blains” (Exod 9:9),
“crookbackt” (Lev. 21:20),
There are more of those in Hebrew, and modern Hebrew uses a different grammar.

No. I believe there are faithful translations, nor do I accept your criteria. In any case, there is a good translation for your criteria: The New King James Version.

The NKJV is tainted by the use of material by Westcott and Hort. It is not acceptable. If people were truly interested in producing a KJV which does not have these "problematic" words they would and they wouldn't allow it to be corrupted by Westcott and Hort or modern textual criticism. But the chief motivation is to denigrate the KJV.

No. I believe there are faithful translations, nor do I accept your criteria.

This is precisely my point: this argument is for people like you who already think the KJV is obsolete. Of course you think there are suitable alternatives to use because you use them and you are happy to make use of translations based on the critical text. But one of the main reasons KJVers use the KJV is because we don't accept the modern versions based on the critical text so the argument isn't going to convince us. Which is why I don't think the argument is designed to convince us but merely to denigrate the KJV and to attempt to buttress the CT side.

Every time I see a KJV advocate producing requirements for an acceptable replacement, it eventually duplicates word for word the KJV. There are always purported problems with any proposed alternative that isn't the KJV (eventually archaic personal pronouns will be brought in as a requirement). ;)

I see and accept the point, but I still like to use the phrase “fetch a compass” when I sail around an island.

I love the KJV too but everyone needs to realize that there is a tradeoff: there are benefits to using the KJV (continuity, a historical standard), and there are actual detriments (as there is with using another translation). But let's not pretend that detriments don't exist or dismiss anyone whom a detriment affects.

Who is arguing that there aren't difficulties with the KJV? But what it comes down to, as I have said, is that there is not a suitable alternative translation for those of us who hold to the TR. So until there is minor issues such as obsolete meanings of words isn't going to change our minds.

Every time I see a KJV advocate producing requirements for an acceptable replacement, it eventually duplicates word for word the KJV. There are always purported problems with any proposed alternative that isn't the KJV (eventually archaic personal pronouns will be brought in as a requirement). ;)

I'm sure we could find suitable alternatives for all the words Jacob listed above. Would that suffice to convert you to the KJV? I doubt it.

As far as I know there is only one other translation ostensibly based on the TR and that is the NKJV. But as I said it was tainted by the scholarship used in its production, as well as other issues. All the other translations are based on the CT which we reject outright. So it's not a case of "there's always a reason found to reject every new translation" but rather that every new translation has the same fatal flaw. Until that is corrected there is no reason to replace the KJV.

We aren't in the reforming times necessary to produce a new and faithful version of the received text. That will require a church unity and attainment in her officers such as we saw in the Reformation years. Meanwhile, the KJV works excellently for those who hold to the doctrine of a received text; it is useful (and preferred) for evangelism, for preaching, and for teaching.

Well, there are going to be problems with any translation, KJV obviously included. I for one am happy to use the KJV, despite its shortcomings, until something better presents itself. I don't have any huge qualms with the NKJV, but as someone who resides in a tradition who makes a decent amount of use of the Song of Solomon, I find the artificial divisions rather annoying.

I'd be happy with an update/new translation of the preserved text of scripture that kept the second person pronoun distinction and public readability of the KJV, while updating those antiquated parts.

I use the KJV. I use the TBS Westminster Ref Bible. I use other versions too.

But I wonder how people can just give children a KJV bible with no helps and expect them to read independently for themselves especially with the false friends words. Yes, you go through the bible with them as a family and correct some words... but I am speaking about independent reading (what a great means of grace). Do you give them a list of places where they must be careful? A list to memorize that 'wont' means 'accustomed' actually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back