Augustine on the Sacraments - seeking recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
Greetings all. I am currently studying the sacraments in general and am going to move into baptism more specifically soon. Right now I am reading Calvin's Institute chapters on the subjects and he has already quoted from Augustine a few times. I have never read anything from a church father so I would like recommendations from those of you more acquainted with early church literature. I want to read Augustine on the sacraments and on baptism. Could you point me to where I could find a resource?

My current theological reading level is comfortable with the Beveridge translation of Calvin and a Puritan like Thomas Manton. John Owen confounds me. Will translations of Augustine be confusing for me? Thank you.

Hahaha, it's funny seeing this as I am also doing the exact same thing you are. Augustine really isn't that difficult to read albeit all I've read is Confessions. I was thinking of just looking up where the quotes in the Institutes come from and just start reading from there.

PS. If you run into anything you wish to discuss involving this topic send me a message. It's nice to know someone else is trying to figure out the same material you are.

Have a blessed Lord's Day!!

Hahaha, it's funny seeing this as I am also doing the exact same thing you are. Augustine really isn't that difficult to read albeit all I've read is Confessions. I was thinking of just looking up where the quotes in the Institutes come from and just start reading from there.

PS. If you run into anything you wish to discuss involving this topic send me a message. It's nice to know someone else is trying to figure out the same material you are.

Have a blessed Lord's Day!!

Jonathan, I'll write to you sometime later today about what I'm studying. I look forward to discussing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back