Augustine on Predestination -- ideas wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
I'm currently taking a class on the Theology of Augustine. I've been given the general topic of "Augustine and predestination" on which I am to write my research paper.

I was tempted to simply write: "Augustine on Predestation: He believed in it." However, I don't think that would go over too well.

So, I'm interested in hearing ideas for where I should take it.

Originally posted by PastorSean
Originally posted by SolaScriptura
I'm currently taking a class on the Theology of Augustine. I've been given the general topic of "Augustine and predestination" on which I am to write my research paper.

I was tempted to simply write: "Augustine on Predestation: He believed in it." However, I don't think that would go over too well.

So, I'm interested in hearing ideas for where I should take it.

Because Augustine is often caricatured as having "invented" predestination (with the assertion that the pre-Augustinian fathers didn't pay much attention to the question), it might be worth addressing the theological milieu in which he was writing (i.e. the Pelagian controversy) as a reason for its emphasis in his thought. In other words, why did Augustine speak so strongly on God's sovereignty in salvation whereas Irenaeus (for example) did not (as much)? Because the Pauline teaching on predestination was the right theological ammunition to blast the grace diminishing assertions of Pelagius and his followers. That's a paper I've been wanting to write (in response to all the heretics at the university where I teach who foment this ridiculous notion that predestination began with Augustine or even Calvin), and so I suggest it to you.

That might be doable. I found it interesting that though (like you mention) he is often credited with "inventing" predestination, he actually credits the teaching of Cyprian with correcting his early views (which diminished sovereign grace). Additionally, he often cites Ambrose as well...

There are some who contend that Augustine held to what they call "predestination to grace" rather than "predestination to glory." In other words, they come to the point where they can't deny that he held to a "form" of predestination, but they explain that what he meant by predestination was that the elect are predestined only to be in a state of grace, from which they may or may not fall away before death. Such a subject would seem to fall within the parameters of Augustine and predestination.

Blessings,
DTK

I found it interesting that though (like you mention) he is often credited with "inventing" predestination, he actually credits the teaching of Cyprian with correcting his early views (which diminished sovereign grace). Additionally, he often cites Ambrose as well...

Fascinating, and wonderful! What are some of these quotes? Where can I find them . . . somewhere in my set of Ante-Nicene Fathers?

I would very much appreciate any guidance here . . . I have a cousin to whom I would *love* to show some pre-Augustinian predestination quotes.

Hello I'm new. There is a book by B.B. Warfield entitled Calvin and Augustine. It was published by P&R. I hope that helps you.

Originally posted by biblelighthouse
I found it interesting that though (like you mention) he is often credited with "inventing" predestination, he actually credits the teaching of Cyprian with correcting his early views (which diminished sovereign grace). Additionally, he often cites Ambrose as well...

Fascinating, and wonderful! What are some of these quotes? Where can I find them . . . somewhere in my set of Ante-Nicene Fathers?

I would very much appreciate any guidance here . . . I have a cousin to whom I would *love* to show some pre-Augustinian predestination quotes.

Well, Augustine's writings are laced with references to Cyprian and Ambrose. However, two very potent passages are:
In Ch 7 of A Treatise on the Predestination of the Saints, Augustine explains how he was corrected by Cyprian and led to affirm God's sovereign grace because of him.

Perhaps the most poignant passage I've come across is chapter 49 of A TREATISE ON THE GIFT OF PERSEVERANCE. He cites Cyprian, Ambrose & Gregory!

Originally posted by DTK
There are some who contend that Augustine held to what they call "predestination to grace" rather than "predestination to glory." In other words, they come to the point where they can't deny that he held to a "form" of predestination, but they explain that what he meant by predestination was that the elect are predestined only to be in a state of grace, from which they may or may not fall away before death. Such a subject would seem to fall within the parameters of Augustine and predestination.

Blessings,
DTK

The next time you hear someone say that, have them check out his A TREATISE ON THE GIFT OF PERSEVERANCE. He directly, clearly, and thoroughly repudiates that notion.

The next time you hear someone say that, have them check out his A TREATISE ON THE GIFT OF PERSEVERANCE. He directly, clearly, and thoroughly repudiates that notion.
Well, I know that, but you were asking for ideas...

Blessings to you on your forth-coming paper,
DTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back