Augustine of Hippo on Christ the sinless lamb of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Jesus comes, and what does John say? Look, there is the Lamb of God. If a lamb is innocent, then John too is a lamb. Was he not innocent as well? But then who is innocent? How innocent? All of us come from that transplant and that cutting, about which David sighs as he chants, In iniquity was I conceived, and in sins did my mother nourish me in the womb (Ps 50:7). Only that Lamb, therefore, did not come in such a way.

For, he was not conceived in iniquity, because he was not conceived from mortality, nor did his mother nourish him in sins in the womb; he whom a virgin conceived was born by a virgin, because she conceived by faith and accepted him by faith. So then, Look, there is the Lamb of God. This one does not have Adam’s heritage: he took Adam’s flesh, but he did not carry Adam’s sin. The one who did not take on sin from the lump that we are is the one who takes away our sin. Look, there is the Lamb of God; look, there is the one who takes away the sin of the world.

For the reference, see Augustine of Hippo on Christ the sinless lamb of God.

Jesus comes, and what does John say? Look, there is the Lamb of God. If a lamb is innocent, then John too is a lamb. Was he not innocent as well? But then who is innocent? How innocent? All of us come from that transplant and that cutting, about which David sighs as he chants, In iniquity was I conceived, and in sins did my mother nourish me in the womb (Ps 50:7). Only that Lamb, therefore, did not come in such a way.

For, he was not conceived in iniquity, because he was not conceived from mortality, nor did his mother nourish him in sins in the womb; he whom a virgin conceived was born by a virgin, because she conceived by faith and accepted him by faith. So then, Look, there is the Lamb of God. This one does not have Adam’s heritage: he took Adam’s flesh, but he did not carry Adam’s sin. The one who did not take on sin from the lump that we are is the one who takes away our sin. Look, there is the Lamb of God; look, there is the one who takes away the sin of the world.

For the reference, see Augustine of Hippo on Christ the sinless lamb of God.
There is no link, brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back