Asking Jesus to pray for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
Given:
-Jesus intercedes for us (Heb. 7:25)
-he was made like his brothers so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest (Heb. 2:17)
-he prays for us (John 17:9)
-the prayer of a righteous person has great power (Jas. 5:16)

is it appropriate to ask Jesus to pray to God for us?

I don't know the answer, but I find it interesting that when the disciples asked Jesus to show them the Father, he said "He who has seen me has seen the Father." And when people asked Him for mercy, He forgave them directly. In other words, being God, Jesus had the full authority and ability to grant requests. I don't know how to separate a prayer to God the Father from a prayer to Christ, since they are one. God the Holy Spirit also intercedes for us, but I don't know if we can ask something of one person of the Godhead without asking it of all three.
These are matters too wonderful for me: I only hope I haven't muddied the waters

Given:
-Jesus intercedes for us (Heb. 7:25)
-he was made like his brothers so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest (Heb. 2:17)
-he prays for us (John 17:9)
-the prayer of a righteous person has great power (Jas. 5:16)

is it appropriate to ask Jesus to pray to God for us?
The Lord Jesus is Jehovah GOD Almighty. I pray to him all the time.

Jesus prays for his elect, and His prayers are always answered by the Father. Our perseverance is sure because he prays for his elect that their faith will not fail (as He did for Peter in Luke 22:32).

For this reason I think we should just believe these truths, and it is not necessary to ask Jesus to pray for us. His prayers are already perfect, and will not be improved by our request to pray for us. Secondly, I see no example in scripture of asking Jesus to pray for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back