Articles/Books/Sources on the relationship between the synagogue and God's previous dwelling places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheThirdandReformedAdam

Puritan Board Freshman
So I am wondering if anyone knows any sources that deal with the relationship between the modern-day synagogue (church-building/sanctuary) and the Temple/Tabernacle. I was particularly looking for something that establishes a biblical-theological connection between the two and calls attention to the significance of aesthetic appeal in our synagogues as a result.

Last edited:
He doesn't really address the synagogue per se, but you should read G. K. Beale's book The Temple and the Church's Mission.

While I believe in the RPW, and I believe that synagogue was established probably early on Israel's history (see the comment "And Moses has been preached every sabbath since ancient times), the truth is there is very little evidence on what synagogue worship was like in the Bible.

Thanks all. I primarily bring it up because I have been teaching a few lessons out of the book of Psalms, and as there are many Psalms that express a strong desire to be in the house of God, I thought it may be good to talk about a possible connection between the desire we find from the psalmists to be in the Temple/Tabernacle and our desire to be in the church building. I know that, eschatologically speaking, our desire to be in God's house is not yet fulfilled, and that presently we enjoy the presence of God in our midst in a way similar to that of the Tabernacle, as God the Holy Spirit dwells within us. In that sense, the church building is not the "dwelling place of God," but it is a center of worship like the Tabernacle/Temple. Just looking to see if anyone else has examined other theological connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back