Article on the KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
There's a fairly interesting piece on the KJV you can access through the Arts & Letters Daily website. Go to Arts & Letters Daily - ideas, criticism, debate and click on the link in the top item in the "Articles of Note" column. That will take you to an article at the website of National Geographic.

The first part of the article, on the history, and the last part, on its effect in Scotland, are interesting. There's some PC noise in the middle part about Rastafarianism, but don't let that keep you from enjoying the article as a whole.

Thank you Richard for the inside info and attention to the atricle on the KJV. The KJV is the bible of the Reformation and I am always interested in learning more about the KJV.

I thought the Geneva Bible was the major player, since the KJV was a response (of sorts) to it? I could be mis-remembering, though.
See, that's my thought as well.

And isn't the KJV we have now like the fourth revision from the 1611 one?

I like the KJV's style and lyrical flavor, and there are certain passages (such as Matthew 6:9-13 and Psalm 23) that frankly just sound better in the KJV.

That being said, like any other translation, the KJV has its advantages and disadvantages, which need to be considered in every translation we use.

J. Dean: Well, the major revision was done by a joint committee of scholars from Oxford and Cambridge in the 1760s. That's the KJV you buy today. Technically, the English Revised Version (1881) is another revision, but it's usually treated as a completely separate translation, as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back