Article: Consistency in Worship (exclusive Psalmody)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A third and fourth option might be to require Psalms to be sung unaccompanied, or require some other person to take that part of the worship service. To require a people to practise exclusive psalmody before they can be ministered to is directly contrary to the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has taught us that He came to call sinners to repentance, and who gave three powerful illustrations of the diligence and joy with which sinners should be sought out.

I don't know that this is necessarily an EP issue -- it is a question about how consistent we can be in our faith in a fallen world. The larger issue here is whether or not we can worship in a situation that doesn't match our convictions. If it is a recognizably Christian service, and nothing openly scandalous is involved, myriad commandments to worship God and to not remain out of fellowship would take precedence. One can only take the WCF as far as one as the authority to do so. A visiting pastor could, perhaps, discuss the issue on a brother-to-brother basis, with charity. As a lay person? I can proceed decently and in order to worship and, quietly refraining in some parts of the service if need be.

I had trouble getting the site to pull up yesterday; but after looking at it I could not agree more with Rev. Winzer's widening of options. Separatism (which Presbyterians strongly opposed historically; see James Durham's work on Scandal) is far to often and far to quickly arrived at as a solution to error and corruption in the church.
A third and fourth option might be to require Psalms to be sung unaccompanied, or require some other person to take that part of the worship service. To require a people to practise exclusive psalmody before they can be ministered to is directly contrary to the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has taught us that He came to call sinners to repentance, and who gave three powerful illustrations of the diligence and joy with which sinners should be sought out.

I had trouble getting the site to pull up yesterday; but after looking at it I could not agree more with Rev. Winzer's widening of options. Separatism (which Presbyterians strongly opposed historically; see James Durham's work on Scandal) is far to often and far to quickly arrived at as a solution to error and corruption in the church.

I would agree that the 3rd option isn't Biblical but I have always thought the 4th option is. An EP minister cannot conduct a service with hymns, instructing the congregation to sing from this hymn and then from that hymn. I just cannot see how this could be done while being consistent to your EP conviction at all.
So I would always say preach and pray yes, but as for the praise the minister of that congregation would have to conduct that part of the worship because you cannot condone or take any part in it, unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

I agree that we should, if possible, avoid separatism. The article wasn't intended to encourage separatism but to encourage consistency, whilst meeting with brethren outwith our own congregation or denomination. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough in the article and my apologies if that was the case.

In order to win others to exclusive psalmody, there must be a recognition of Christians with a different understanding on worship & with a conversation seasoned with all grace point out the weakness of their position, praying that the Spirit will teach. The approach which would find us singing uninspired hymns or putting out hymns to be sung in worship calls into question our own position on EP, fails to honour the Lord's commands concerning worship & will by no means convince others that EP is Biblical, rather quite the opposite.

A Welsh minister friend of mine worshiped for a long time with hymns & musical instruments but eventually became a convinced Exclusive Psalmist. His own response to the issue at hand is as follows...

'My position since "converted", is to desist from singing hymns in another church, and if asked to preach, request psalms, and if not granted then have an elder from that church to announce the hymns.'

I'd be interested for your responses to his approach & how your own approach may differ to his & your reasons as to why.

Blessings
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back