ARP Psalter with Bible Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul361

Puritan Board Freshman
I am interested in the thoughts on this Psalter/Hymnal from the Exclusive Psalmists' point of view. I believe that the first part -- numbers 1--150 are fitting (and taken from The Book of Psalms for Worship (RPCNA); but what about the latter half? Could those Bible songs all taken from the Psalms be thought of a modern translation of the Psalms?

I think an EP would say the first part is definitely appropriate. As to the "bible songs"...I'm unfamiliar with them but assuming from your statement you are specifically asking about psalm paraphrases...

Depending on how the psalm is paraphrased, it might depend on your own conscience. For example, my wife and I attended a church recently where their version of Psalm 23 included lines about Jesus being the good shepherd. While I don't disagree with that sentiment, I am personally not comfortable modifying the psalms to that extent (as though they needed to be "Christianized"), at the very least, not in corporate worship.

The addition of the songs "in the back" (151 and following) are selections from what we used to have as a psalter. The mixed edition you mention in the OP is only a few years old. While many are not as literal as the first 150, few are Christianized or are particularly modernized, to my recollection. (Disclaimer: haven't sung them all, but they picked perennial favorites for inclusion). 173 is only the first eight verses of Psalm 62, for example, but with faithful wording.On the other hand, 180 (Psalm 72) is entitled "Christ Shall Have Dominion." My favorites from Bible Songs are mostly in the 190's.

If you have a hard copy of the edition, there's an explanation of psalm-singing in the ARP included in the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back