Arminian/Semi-Pelagian Romans Commentaries?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace' started by KayJay, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KayJay

KayJay Puritan Board Freshman

Does anyone know where I can find Arminian commentaries on Romans? Are there any online? Did Arminius write commentaries?

I know most would say don't waste your time reading that stuff...well normally I wouldn't but since a friend of mine is going to possibly lead a study on Romans for the ladies at my church (reformed, independent) I thought it would be good not only to teach these women what reformed theology is - but also what it is not.

In other words, they may hear and learn about election and agree that Scripture teaches these things but they may be talking with a southern baptist friend and agree with their free will arguments as well (inconsistently of course).

2. blhowes

blhowes Puritan Board Professor

If you have e-sword, you can download John Wesley's commentary. That might be along the lines of what you're looking for. I think there's also another one (which I haven't downloaded) up there of one of somebody who studied under him - can't remember the name offhand.

If you don't have e-sword, you can download it for free at www.e-sword.net.

Bob

3. Scot

Scot Puritan Board Sophomore

4. blhowes

blhowes Puritan Board Professor

[b:0ec7349633]Scot wrote:[/b:0ec7349633]
    I've read posts by arminians that always quote Adam Clarke...

Ah ha. That's the name of the other guy whose name I couldn't remember.

5. Scot

I couldn't remember either. I had to do some searching.

Here's the forum where I see him quoted. If you want to know how arminians (wrongly) interpret scripture just look here.

http://www.eternalsecurity.us/forum/index.php

Beware: your blood pressure will skyrocket! :flaming:

6. SmokingFlax

SmokingFlax Puritan Board Sophomore

Adam Clarke...man, several years ago I intended to read through his commentaries but I didn't get much past Genesis 3 where somehow he came to the conclusion that the serpent in the garden couldn't possibly have been a serpent but must have been...

an orangutan!!!

:think:

Well, I'm not the greatest exegete but I just couldn't figure how that interpretation would square with Rev. 12:9 "So the great chimpanzee was cast out, that monkee of old, called the Devil and Satan..."

:D

7. Scot

8. SteelYankee

SteelYankee Puritan Board Freshman

Adrian Rogers' work is classic!

Go to www.lwf.org (Love Worth Finding - you know, since EVERYBODY is seeking) and go to Bible Studies to look for "Foundations of the Faith." It is a three volume and his work on Romans 9 is stupefying. They really push the cassettes and CDs but you can get the printed study guides for $8 each ($24 for all three volumes).

I read part of the chapter nine "exegesis" and it is right out of one of his sermons that James White disected on Dividing Line.

9. KayJay

KayJay Puritan Board Freshman

Hey thanks yall!!!

I will definitely be checking those out soon!!!

10. brymaes

brymaes Puritan Board Sophomore

[quote:ed20906c95][i:ed20906c95]Originally posted by SmokingFlax[/i:ed20906c95]
    ...I didn't get much past Genesis 3 where somehow he came to the conclusion that the serpent in the garden couldn't possibly have been a serpent but must have been...

an orangutan!!! [/quote:ed20906c95]

Hence Spurgeon's less-than-affectionate description of Clark: "An Arminian twister of the Word"

:barfy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.