Argument for Paedocommunion from typology

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenFromUtopia

Puritan Board Graduate
I have noticed many espousing an argument in favor of paedocommunion based on typological connections found in Scripture. For example, typical arguments I have heard are:

[In] John 6:14... "The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven." (emphasis mine) Manna was the body of Christ. All ate of it. (see 1 Cor. 10) But nowadays children can't eat Christ. Jewish kids could be one with Christ, but not us... A better covenant you say? More grace? What verse in scripture tells us explicitly to keep young children (those rotten little pagans!) away from the table? There are none. The only reason to not allow children to the table that some say is that "they do not understand it". Does Christ say "as often as you understand this, understand it in rememberance of me"? He says do it. Also, if the requirement is to understand the table, then why is manna (which is Christ just like the bread) called "manna" which means "what is this?" They did not know what it was, yet all ate of it.

and

1 Corinthians 10...

"Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." (emphasis mine)

The crossing of the red sea was baptism for the Israelites. Mana was the bread of the supper for the Israelites. Water from the rock was the wine of the supper for the Israelites. All were baptised and all ate. This includes everyone, even children, unless you think that they were left at the red sea or denied food in the wilderness...

So, now that we see that Scripture draws parallels for the Corinthians (and later in Peter with baptism and the ark) between the old covenant and the new covenant, why do we still refuse to do the same!?

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back