Are you Prideful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

1 Peter 5:5

Pride is man centred and not focused on God nor the things of God. Pride is a sin. It is a deadly sin that will bring a man down. It was pride at the root of the Devil’s downfall. Proverbs 16:18 says, ‘Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.’ In James 4:6 the Bible tells us that ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’

There is a lot of wisdom found in Proverbs 16 regarding the subject of human pride. In verse 5 the Bible says, ‘Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD.’ Pridefulness is not a godly attitude. The divine Godhead is humble. Jesus Christ humbled himself to take on the form of a man and die on the cross to save His people from their sin. God requires us to be humble and not puffed up because He humbled himself on the cross.

Pride is a form of idolatry. An idol is anything you worship or honour more than God or put before God. Some people worship and honour their nation over God. Now, it is not wrong to love your country. However, if your love for a particular speck of earth is more than your love for the truth of God then your guilty of breaking the first commandment. The same applies to sports teams, money and other things of the world.

God’s Word tells us ‘He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.’ In other words that means if we are to glory in something it ought to be the glory of God. We have nothing to boast about. All we have and are is due to the grace of God in our lives. We are what we are because of God’s mercy. As believers we ought to be lowly of heart and humble in spirit. Thinking more highly of yourself than you ought to be is not a meek and godly character. Sadly, there are many Christian people today who think themselves better than everyone else and praise and exalt themselves. The Bible says, ‘He must increase, but I must decrease’ (John 3:30). If a child of God is living in sin and rebellion towards God and there is no correction or rebuke from the Lord that is a very concerning sign. Hebrews 12: 6 says, ‘For whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.’

The so-called heroes of the world receive gold medals, trophies, and other accolades of man. We as believers come to the foot of the cross and humbly bow the knee before King Jesus. Many people in the world today are proud of their sin and very open about their sinfulness. The Bible teaches that we ought to be ashamed of our sinfulness and wrongs. The only thing that makes us right with God is the cross, the blood of Christ. We should boast in the cross of Christ. Galatians 6:14 says, ‘But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.’

Our attitude should be, I’m not a perfect person, for there is only one who is. He sits in heaven on the right hand of God and he died to save me from my imperfections.’
A prideful heart rejects God, His laws, His authority and His atonement. A proud heart says, ‘I don’t need God.’ Psalm 10: 4 offers us some wisdom, ‘The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.’ Be not like the wicked have God in your thoughts and mind. Let’s be mindful of godliness, holiness and righteousness.

Here are some questions to aid you in assessing a prideful heart. Answer these questions truthfully and honestly this is for your benefit. Evaluate your heart before the Lord.

1. Do you think yourself as quite spiritual?
2. Do you think you are more spiritual than other believers?
3. Are you putting time aside for self-examination?
4. Are you transforming your mind daily to Scripture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back