Are you fully convinced that Calvinism is biblical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had grave doubts about reformed thought, Grace, and Sola Scriptura that were deep enough to bring me to RCIA (Roman Catholic Initiation classes) , God, turned it to Glory. I by questioning Luther and Calvin, was able to challenge ALL my presuppositions. It made me stronger, the Catholic Church could answer the deep things. I turned back to Scripture, with a focus on Hebrews. It was as if a cloud lifted. As my friend Matthew Winzer noted it is not about "Calvin" but about what IS Christianity. It may seem I am not giving an answer, perhaps I am not, other than this, God can "handle" questions, God in His Providence will guide the honest Christian "seeker" to truth. (No I was not using seeker as it is tossed about in current Christian circles.) I mean what I mean, HONESTLY looking. God knows His own. He will guide you to truth as Truth is a part of his very aspect. Grace and Peace.

In the Great work of the Gospel, the author quotes another by explaining (paraphrase) prior ot creationm, there was no way for God to exhibit mercy. God could certianly display justice and holiness to and through the trinity, but in order for God to glorify himself through his infinite capacity for mercy, he needed (or it pleased him) something on which to display his capacity for mercy. I really like this thought process, because I think it's as accurate as any other supposition. God desired to be merciful, so he created something on which to show mercy.

My doubts disappeared when I knew that I must trust the word of God and not the teachings of men. I can't deny what the scriptures say, even though it sometimes takes a step of faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back