Are We Guilty of Neglecting God the Father in our Churches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you no doubt are aware I'm not suggesting that at all, and said the distinction your pastor makes is a useful one. On the point of the thread though, we should not forget the other attributes of the Father - He is not merely a God of justice, He is indispensable to the plan of salvation. I think the answer to the thread's question is yes by the way (EDIT: to clarify, not that this is a problem of "our churches" as might be construed, but that it is a danger Christians generally are liable to and must guard against), and we should reflect more on the love of the Father in electing His people and sending His Son.
I thought you were saying how he preached was incorrect. I thought you were correcting him. I thought this bc you didn’t say, “I agree” then go on to say why you agreed. Your first sentence was “we should be careful though not to....” which sounds like a correction :)

Who is CMJ?
If I read the contexts aright, that was a tongue-in-cheek reference to an obvious friend of Rev. Strange. As Rev. Strange does well on matters requiring propriety and circumspection, his was a well nuanced reference on a public site such that only "insiders" like yourself would know. In fact, you will probably be seeing the man so referenced in a matter of hours from this post.

Accordingly, if I am correct, your next response should begin with the Homerian, "Doh!" ;)

If I read the contexts aright, that was a tongue-in-cheek reference to an obvious friend of Rev. Strange. As Rev. Strange does well on matters requiring propriety and circumspection, his was a well nuanced reference on a public site such that only "insiders" like yourself would know. In fact, you will probably be seeing the man so referenced in a matter of hours from this post.

Accordingly, if I am correct, your next response should begin with the Homerian, "Doh!" ;)
I’ll have to wait for someone to reference who he is. I don’t think I know any of Dr Strange’s friends since I only “know” Dr Strange from this site. I’m not sure I’m ever an insider to anything lol

I’ll have to wait for someone to reference who he is. I don’t think I know any of Dr Strange’s friends since I only “know” Dr Strange from this site. I’m not sure I’m ever an insider to anything lol
I suspect he is the man who Pastors that Only Perfect Church in that Wisconsin vicinity of yours. ;)

Unless he has a different first name and we are all calling him by his second name

Yes. I only began going to church as a teenager, and quickly progressed from Southern Baptist to non-denominational charismatic. I can attest to your same experience, that in those churches there was a real lack of clarity about the work of God the Father, and his disposition both toward his elect and even his relationship with his Son in His humanity. When I finally read through the book of John years later, it was a great joy to see and come to understand better. David's OP got some push-back and qualifying of what he was trying to say, but the fact is that in the charismatic world and others, "Jesus" is emphasized (or even in the worst practice, "the Holy Spirit"), and I use quotes because there was so often an unbiblical view of the Persons of Christ and the Holy Spirit, and an unbiblical view of God the Father (who wasn't often mentioned). So I don't know how to convey this in language that won't draw all the pushing back against something that's not being said, but will just say that I know what you mean, David! and believe it will be eye-opening and rewarding to study as you intend to do.
I understand why we all seem to have a much easier time relating to Jesus, as He was/is God in human flesh who came among us, but still stuck on that truth that the Apostle Paul appeared to speak more so on and about the Father than even Jesus in all of His Epistles to us.

Yes. I only began going to church as a teenager, and quickly progressed from Southern Baptist to non-denominational charismatic. I can attest to your same experience, that in those churches there was a real lack of clarity about the work of God the Father, and his disposition both toward his elect and even his relationship with his Son in His humanity. When I finally read through the book of John years later, it was a great joy to see and come to understand better. David's OP got some push-back and qualifying of what he was trying to say, but the fact is that in the charismatic world and others, "Jesus" is emphasized (or even in the worst practice, "the Holy Spirit"), and I use quotes because there was so often an unbiblical view of the Persons of Christ and the Holy Spirit, and an unbiblical view of God the Father (who wasn't often mentioned). So I don't know how to convey this in language that won't draw all the pushing back against something that's not being said, but will just say that I know what you mean, David! and believe it will be eye-opening and rewarding to study as you intend to do.
I have found that among many Baptists and Charismatics this seems to be the general consensus regarding relating to the various members of the Trinity.
We all indeed do make our prayers to God the Father, but how do we relate to Him in practice and worship and teachings?

How many messages and sermons though? As there seems to be many more made about Jesus them about Him.

I don't know. I haven't done a census on it. When you say "it seems" (there's that word again!), are you referring to one denomination, or a whole group of denominations? Or the American church in general? Would this include Rome?

That's why I don't put much stock into phrases like "The church does this...." or "If the church would just get its act together," or the like.

I don't know. I haven't done a census on it. When you say "it seems" (there's that word again!), are you referring to one denomination, or a whole group of denominations? Or the American church in general? Would this include Rome?

That's why I don't put much stock into phrases like "The church does this...." or "If the church would just get its act together," or the like.
I will say that in the Charismatic and Baptist churches have attended/membership in, the vast majority of teaching and preaching was on either Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Hebrews 1:3 NIV

I thought you were saying how he preached was incorrect. I thought you were correcting him. I thought this bc you didn’t say, “I agree” then go on to say why you agreed. Your first sentence was “we should be careful though not to....” which sounds like a correction :)

I apologise for my labourious writing style which gave rise to the misunderstanding. I believe the substance of what I wrote to be true, but willingly retract anything which may have given cause to infer that I wished to correct your minister, or that he teaches anything other than orthodoxy.

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Hebrews 1:3 NIV

Don't want to derail the thread - but the Son is not the exact representation of the Father's being - they are one being.

"Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high"

Hebrews 1:3 KJV (emphasis mine)

I will say that in the Charismatic and Baptist churches have attended/membership in, the vast majority of teaching and preaching was on either Jesus or the Holy Spirit.
You should try out a strong Presbyterian church!

I apologise for my labourious writing style which gave rise to the misunderstanding. I believe the substance of what I wrote to be true, but willingly retract anything which may have given cause to infer that I wished to correct your minister, or that he teaches anything other than orthodoxy.

I don't see any reason for an apology. You weren't being mean. I just figured something was amiss. No worries.

I think it’s hard for people who haven’t been members in those churches to understand what you’re saying. You kind of have to have been there to get it.

I think it’s hard for people who haven’t been members in those churches to understand what you’re saying. You kind of have to have been there to get it.
Could very well be the truth, as the major emphasis on either Jesus or the Holy Spirit still seems to be neglecting the Father, the One to whom Jesus continually referenced and talked about to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back