Are there any Puritan Systematic Theologies? (Not a collection of various authors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Hello,

Does there exist a systematic theology written by a Puritan? I know of Joel Beeke's Doctrine for Life, but I was hoping for something written by one author.

Thank you.

Wilhelmus a Brakel, The Christian's Reasonable Service
William Ames, The Marrow of Theology
James Ussher, A Body of Divinity
Thomas Watson, A Body of Divinity
John Brown of Haddington, Systematic Theology
Witsius, The Economy of the Covenants
Steven Charnock, The Existence and Attributes of God

And any number of individual treatises on theological topics by various puritans.

Also, though they are not ST proper, the various reformed Confessions are critically important for studying ST.

You might consider Thomas Ridgley's (1667-1734) "Body of Divinity," (avail in full for example here: Thomas Ridgley | Digital Puritan Press , and many other places without cost online or downloaded). It is a lengthy (4-vol) exposition of the Westminster Larger Catechism. Therefore, it is methodical and systematic.

Thomas Watson's "Body of Divinity" is a similar treatment of the Shorter Catechism. Ursinus's exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism is essentially a Body of Divinity as well.

Continental works like Turretin's Institutes (1623-87) and van Mastricht's lectures (1630-1704), in Latin, were still in use as far away as the American Colonies a century and more after publishing. Reformed theology began and continued to be an "international" movement.

This looks like a legitimate website: The Christian's Reasonable Service for a Brakel's (1635-1711) "Christian's Reasonable Service." He was Dutch, but also something of a "puritan;" and it looks like you can get all 4-vols of his work online.

Another Dutchman, Herman Witsius, (1636-1708) wrote "Sacred Dissertations on the Apostles' Creed" 2-vols, vol.1 here: Sacred Dissertations: On what is Commonly Called the Apostles' Creed - Herman Witsius - Google Books

Hope this is helpful

In your opinions, which would you recommend for a layman:

Ussher, Ames, or Watson?

I am leaning toward Watson currently. What are your reasons for this recommendation?

Wilhelmus a Brakel, The Christian's Reasonable Service
William Ames, The Marrow of Theology
James Ussher, A Body of Divinity
Thomas Watson, A Body of Divinity
John Brown of Haddington, Systematic Theology
Witsius, The Economy of the Covenants
Steven Charnock, The Existence and Attributes of God

And any number of individual treatises on theological topics by various puritans.

Also, though they are not ST proper, the various reformed Confessions are critically important for studying ST.

i downloaded a few of these they look pretty good..........

Watson is easier to read and warmly devotional. Start there. Then you'll find Ames to be a great blessing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back