Are Secret Sins for Real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd start with Psalm 19:12.

When I began going to the OPC congregation I am now a member of the pastor, praying at the pulpit on Sunday morning, included, "Forgive us for those sins we are aware of, and those we are not aware of." I had never thought of that possibility and commented on it to him after the service. He said, "That is from Psalm 19."

Reading James 4:17 brings to my mind

Matthew 26:40-41

40 And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

and John 2:24-25

24 But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people 25 and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.

"Said by Paul" where? I'm not coming up with anything in Paul's letters or speeches in Acts that seems discordant with James 4:17.

I'm sorry, I confused James with Paul. I'll correct the sentence,

"However, in the instance of James 4:17, it seems like James had not written precisely what he had said. Or was it the tone of his voice that made "sin" sound like "a great sin" to the crowds?"

Actually, was this a mere letter or was James on the spot when he said the words of James 4:17? If it was a mere letter, then it makes it even more suspicious, because nothing is implied of the nature of this sin that is against such knowledge -- just that it is sin.

The Epistle of James is certainly a letter. No doubt James could have written down things he said previously, but we have no access to that. What we do know is that this is the final form into which God's inspiration placed this content.

But I am not sure what is suspicious about any part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back