Are Roman Catholics Christians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to their prayers; the same goes for the Arminian. They may proclaim free-will or merited justification but if they pray like a Calvinist then they just might be saved. ;)

No consistent and TRUE arminian can ever be saved. All arminians I have met who demonstrated through their lives that that they were born again, inconsistently believed that Salvation is 100% of God, but yet a sinner has free will. These kind of arminians are as Martyn Lloyd Jones put it very well, right in their hearts but wrong in their heads. Sadly these kinds of arminians are a minority in Arminian Churches.
I don't think that I can agree with that. Perhaps it's because I live in the "Bible Belt", but, from my own observation, these kinds of Arminians are a majority in Arminian Churches (In fact, there are actually very few consistent Arminian churches.) Most believe on some level that Christ actually paid for sins (true arminianism rejects that idea).

The trouble with this type (or any type) of Arminianism is that it leads to other greater errors.

No consistent and TRUE arminian can ever be saved. All arminians I have met who demonstrated through their lives that that they were born again, inconsistently believed that Salvation is 100% of God, but yet a sinner has free will. These kind of arminians are as Martyn Lloyd Jones put it very well, right in their hearts but wrong in their heads. Sadly these kinds of arminians are a minority in Arminian Churches.
I don't think that I can agree with that. Perhaps it's because I live in the "Bible Belt", but, from my own observation, these kinds of Arminians are a majority in Arminian Churches (In fact, there are actually very few consistent Arminian churches.) Most believe on some level that Christ actually paid for sins (true arminianism rejects that idea).

The trouble with this type (or any type) of Arminianism is that it leads to other greater errors.

:agree: In my life, at least, I have noticed that most Arminians proclaim grace alone. God is kind even to those who deny His sovereignty in word.

Listen to their prayers; the same goes for the Arminian. They may proclaim free-will or merited justification but if they pray like a Calvinist then they just might be saved. ;)

That line of argumentation proves far too much. Are you willing to say that Jehovah's Witnesses are saved because they pray like a Calvinist? One could then believe all manner of damnable heresies, but as long as they have prayer down, our judgment of them should be that they "just might be saved." I am not attacking you by any means, but this argument needs to be buried forever.

It is my experience (and I was raised in a number of Arminian churches in the Bible belt) that most Arminian churches are consistent. They say they believe in salvation by grace through faith alone, but how they define those doctrines differs radically from how a Christian understands grace. By faith alone, they mean a faith that they stir up themselves, which does not differ in principle from salvation by works. They proclaim to believe in salvation by grace alone, but by grace alone, they mean 99% God, 1% ME. Almost every heresy that I can think of will say that "on some level" Christ died for their sins, so I see this as no defense to the Arminians.

This is not to say that all non-Calvinists I have met fall under these categories. I have met a few who are ignorant of either, and when presented with the Word of God, accept it with gladness, or even would like to search the scriptures to see if these things are so. These people are not to be confused with the present discussion.

Some are, some aren't. Just as some Anglicans are and some aren't. Just as some Presbyterians are and some aren't. Just as some Continental Reformed are and some aren't. Just as some Baptists are and some aren't. Just as some Lutherans are and some aren't. Etc, etc...

That line of argumentation proves far too much. Are you willing to say that Jehovah's Witnesses are saved because they pray like a Calvinist? One could then believe all manner of damnable heresies, but as long as they have prayer down, our judgment of them should be that they "just might be saved." I am not attacking you by any means, but this argument needs to be buried forever.

It is my experience (and I was raised in a number of Arminian churches in the Bible belt) that most Arminian churches are consistent. They say they believe in salvation by grace through faith alone, but how they define those doctrines differs radically from how a Christian understands grace. By faith alone, they mean a faith that they stir up themselves, which does not differ in principle from salvation by works. They proclaim to believe in salvation by grace alone, but by grace alone, they mean 99% God, 1% ME. Almost every heresy that I can think of will say that "on some level" Christ died for their sins, so I see this as no defense to the Arminians.

This is not to say that all non-Calvinists I have met fall under these categories. I have met a few who are ignorant of either, and when presented with the Word of God, accept it with gladness, or even would like to search the scriptures to see if these things are so. These people are not to be confused with the present discussion.

Also growing up in the south, and having a step-dad who attended Arminian churches, and spouted Arminian doctrine, the funny thing he never believed it applied to himself. As an example, he would judge others saying they would or have lost their salvation, but when it came to him he was still saved because of what Christ did for him, even though his sins were as grevious as the one he judged. I recongnized this pattern among many of those he fellowshipped with. Somewhere down deep they knew the truth, but couldn't understand the truth. Just as a note I went to another church (SBC) that believed once in grace allways in grace.

It is my experience (and I was raised in a number of Arminian churches in the Bible belt) that most Arminian churches are consistent. ...They proclaim to believe in salvation by grace alone, but by grace alone, they mean 99% God, 1% ME.

That's what I mean by not being consistent. But I hold that a person can believe what you just described and still be a Christian (I know, I use to be a saved Arminian).

Not defending their belief, but we need to be careful that we don't start teaching "justification by correct theology".

That's what I mean by not being consistent. But I hold that a person can believe what you just described and still be a Christian (I know, I use to be a saved Arminian).

Since when is personal experience a basis for judging the validity a particular "gospel"? Rather, we should judge this by the word of God, and it clearly states that if one adds in the least your merit/works to the gospel of free grace, then one is anathema. As christians, we should judge our experience in light of God's word. If we start comparing personal experiences, then who is to be believed? I too was once Arminian, and yet I believe the Scriptures teach that it is a false gospel, therefore I count even that as dung as Paul did his former "gospel" of works.

Consider the following passages of scripture:

Romans 4:4-5 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. (5) But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 11:5-8 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. (6) And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (7) What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded (8) (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.

Not defending their belief, but we need to be careful that we don't start teaching "justification by correct theology".

If by "correct theology" you mean that one must earn a Masters in Theology before they come to Christ, then I agree with your statement. However, I take it that you mean the gospel where works and merit are absent is somehow too scholastic for many, if not most "christians." I find this objection unacceptable, for the gospel of free grace does not take a PHD, but rather the eyes to see, given by the Holy Spirit. The gospel has content, and this content must be believed in order to be saved. Other content is incompatible with the gospel, and shows that a person doesn't understand the content, and has not yet been given eyes to see.

The gospel has content, and this content must be believed in order to be saved. Other content is incompatible with the gospel, and shows that a person doesn't understand the content, and has not yet been given eyes to see.

I'm just curious, but are you Clarkian? :clark:

I do believe that some of my Arminian friends are saved because while they may tell me that it is up to them to become Christians and not purely by grace alone, they still pray for God to open "so and so's" heart. They are not consistent with their Arminianism when the rubber meets the road. I haven't heard a JW pray so I don't know how to answer that. A believer isn't justified in how they pray but in Christ alone that he/she receives by faith. They may say differently out of ignorance but a believer certainly won't pray that way as the Spirit directs them in their prayers.

The gospel has content, and this content must be believed in order to be saved. Other content is incompatible with the gospel, and shows that a person doesn't understand the content, and has not yet been given eyes to see.

I have certain sympathies with Clark, but also serious criticisms. The comment above is not a Clarkian statement. I am trying to simply argue for the confessional view of the gospel.

II. By this faith, a Christian believeth to be true whatsoever is revealed in the Word, for the authority of God himself speaking therein;[5] and acteth differently upon that which each particular passage thereof containeth; yielding obedience to the commands,[6] trembling at the threatenings,[7] and embracing the promises of God for this life, and that which is to come.[8] But the principal acts of saving faith are accepting, receiving, and resting upon Christ alonefor justification, sanctification, and eternal life, by virtue of the covenant of grace.[9]
5. II Peter 1:20-21; John 4:42; I Thess. 2:13; I John 5:9-10; Acts 24:14
6. Psa. 119:10-11, 48, 97-98, 167-168; John 14:15
7. Ezra 9:4; Isa. 66:2; Heb. 4:1
8. Heb. 11:13; I Tim. 4:8
9. John 1:12; Acts 15:11, 16:31; Gal. 2:20; II Tim. 1:9-10

One cannot trust their salvation to Christ alone, and their own merits. It is clear that Roman Catholics trust in their works in lieu of Christ alone. It is also clear, that Arminians, trust in themselves, the quality of their faith, as the grounds, or at least partial grounds, by which they are saved. Therefore, they too reject salvation by Christ alone. This is a necessary conclusion of their doctrine.

As an aside, I think that the quote in my signature is most appropriate for this thread.

I have certain sympathies with Clark, but also serious criticisms. The comment above is not a Clarkian statement. I am trying to simply argue for the confessional view of the gospel.

I wasn't trying to imply that was a distinctively Clarkian statement. It just...I don't know...sounded Clarkian.

I do believe that some of my Arminian friends are saved because while they may tell me that it is up to them to become Christians and not purely by grace alone, they still pray for God to open "so and so's" heart. They are not consistent with their Arminianism when the rubber meets the road. I haven't heard a JW pray so I don't know how to answer that. A believer isn't justified in how they pray but in Christ alone that he/she receives by faith. They may say differently out of ignorance but a believer certainly won't pray that way as the Spirit directs them in their prayers.

By the Arminians praying for "so and so's" heart, they merely recognize that salvation is not purely up to man. They are not Pelagian, but semi-Pelagian, and therefore they are consistent with their doctrine of mixing works with grace. This is how the Arminian can speak of grace on the one hand, but works on the other. Some percentage is left to God (defined as grace in their minds) and some percentage left to me (not works as they would define it). This is the great heresy of Rome, and also of Arminius. The only thing differing between the two is the degree in which they attribute salvation to man, and to God. But no matter how you dice it, you cannot take their profession, and come to the conclusion that it is saving faith, wherein faith in Christ apart from works is required.

Well, Arminians believe that God has done as much as He can do at the moment without being a "meanie" and "imposing Himself" on people's free wills. So when they pray for Him to save someone, they are indeed going against their principles.

I would have to disagree. One can still be saved by the sovereign grace of God, and yet be wrong about how that salvation occurred. Just like anything else, part of making disciples is "teaching them". Learning correct theology, even the basic content of the gospel, is a part of sanctification, not justification. And like any other work of sanctification, it may not always be immediate.

I would have to disagree. One can still be saved by the sovereign grace of God, and yet be wrong about how that salvation occurred. Just like anything else, part of making disciples is "teaching them". Learning correct theology, even the basic content of the gospel, is a part of sanctification, not justification. And like any other work of sanctification, it may not always be immediate.

I sometimes think that the entirety of my saved life could be summed up as learning again and yet again that I am not saved by my own works. I think that practical Roman Catholicism is a natural religious expression of my old nature.

I believe that a Roman Catholic person may be saved in spite of his church for the same reason that I believe I may be saved in spite of my self; precisely because what I learn again and again is true: it is Christ who saves -- and I believe that his growth in grace like mine would be learning to more consciously and completely put his whole trust in Christ.

I am often puzzled by statements made in these kinds of discussions by paedobaptists that would seem to exclude infants from salvation.

There is no gospel whatsoever if you strip all content from it. The gospel is that we believe in SOMETHING, not nothing. To say that one can be completely ignorant of all content in the gospel, is to say that one can be ignorant of the gospel itself, and yet be a Christian. This in unconfessional, and VERY dangerous.

You say, "One can still be saved by the sovereign grace of God, and yet be wrong about how that salvation occurred." Can a person be saved while trusting in Budah? Can a person strip the person of Christ completely from the gospel and yet would you leave a knowledge of Christ for sanctification? If your answer is no, then you have to admit that the gospel has content (i.e. Christ saves), and you refute your earlier statement.

Rather, our confessional standards, in our churches, and on this board include content in saving faith.

Let us recount some of these basic tenants that are NOT left up to sanctification, but a requirement for saving faith.

Q72: What is justifying faith?
A72: Justifying faith is a saving grace,[1] wrought in the heart of a sinner by the Spirit [2] and word of God,[3] whereby he, being convinced of his sin and misery, and of the disability in himself and all other creatures to recover him out of his lost condition,[4] not only assenteth to the truth of the promise of the gospel,[5] but receiveth and resteth upon Christ and his righteousness, therein held forth, for pardon of sin,[6] and for the accepting and accounting of his person righteous in the sight of God for salvation.[7]
1. Heb. 10:39
2. II Cor. 4:13; Eph. 1:17-19
3. Rom. 10:14, 17
4. Acts 2:37; 4:12; 16:30; John 16:8-9; Rom. 5:6; Eph. 2:1
5. Eph. 1:13
6. John 1:12; Acts 10:43; 16:31
7. Phil. 3:9; Acts 15:11

1. A sinner must be "convinced of his sin and misery, and of the disability in himself and all other creatures to recover him out of his lost condition"

2. A sinner must "assenteth to the truth of the promise of the gospel"

3 A sinner must "receiveth and resteth upon Christ and his righteousness, therein held forth, for pardon of sin and for the accepting and accounting of his person righteous in the sight of God for salvation."

All three are doctrines of the gospel, without which, saving faith does not occur. In other words, content.

Jeff, can an infant do those things? Is there better statement (not as regards the confession, but as regards your argument from it) that does not militate against other parts of your confessional beliefs?

For instance, could this content perhaps be present in 'seed form' and grow up in us?

I think the following quote may be helpful to the present discussion:

"Luther called justification by faith alone "the article upon which the church stands or falls" (articulus stantis et cadentis ecclesiae). This strong assertion of the central importance of justification was linked to Luther's identification of justification by faith alone (sola fide) with the gospel. The "good news" of the New Testament includes not only an announcement of the person of Christ and his work in our behalf, but a declaration of how the benefits of Christ's work are appropriated by, in and for the believer.

The issue of how justification and salvation are receieved became the paramount point of debate. Luther's insistence on sola fide was based on the conviction that the "how" of justification is integral and essential to the gospel itself. He viewed justification by faith alone as necessary and essential to the gospel and to salavation."

R.C. Sproul, Faith Alone, p.18-19.

I think many (if not most) of your average TR folks see it as another beast altogether. This past Sunday, our pastor was describing a man he knew, truly a 'new creation', and added emphasis to his story by finishing with "...and this man came from paganism! From Catholicism!"

Some are, some aren't. Just as some Anglicans are and some aren't. Just as some Presbyterians are and some aren't. Just as some Continental Reformed are and some aren't. Just as some Baptists are and some aren't. Just as some Lutherans are and some aren't. Etc, etc...

This is just nonsense. The Roman Catholic Church trumpets a false Gospel that is institutionalised into the very official teaching and ceremonialism of each Romanist congregation. The Roman Catholic Church isn't just another church; it's institutionally and constitutionally wicked and idolatrous.

Some Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Reformed congregations are evangelical; that cannot be said of any Romanist congregation.

If any Roman Catholic is supposed to be born again and yet holds to the official teaching of Rome of grace plus, faith plus and Christ plus, that person is either a stranger to Christ, or has their heart transformed and their mind totally confused and it is impossible for us to recognise them as children of God. God may know who they are; but we can only know them from their testimony and behaviour.

A healthy sign in a Roman Catholic that claims to be resting on Christ alone by faith alone through grace alone, is that they want to get out of the Church of Rome as quickly as possible. I know former Roman Catholics who were spoken to by the Holy Spirit after their conversion in these words of Scripture:-

Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. (Revelation 18:4)

You cannot be a member of the Roman Catholic Church without taking part in her idolatry and giving at least tacit support to the Papacy and all its errors. Romanism is a syncretism of Paganism and Christianity in which Paganism has the upper hand. Calvin called it a chaos of errors.

Jeff, can an infant do those things? Is there better statement (not as regards the confession, but as regards your argument from it) that does not militate against other parts of your confessional beliefs?

For instance, could this content perhaps be present in 'seed form' and grow up in us?

I don't think that an infant can do those things physically. This is where the gospel may be present in them in seed form, if one wished to phrase it that way. Elect infants may have the spiritual capability to believe such things, but not the physical capability.

This is shown in the WCF:

III. Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit,[12] who worketh when, and where, and how he pleaseth:[13] so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.[14]
12. Gen. 17:7; Luke 1:15; 18:15-16; Acts 2:39; John 3:3, 5; I John 5:12
13. John 3:8
14. John 16:7-8; I John 5:12; Acts 4:12

With adults (with a few exceptions), we have the physical capability, but the unregenerate lack the spiritual capability (regeneration) to understand and believe such things.

Again, just for clarification, nobody is stating that one must be able to recite the Westminster in order to be saved. One however, must know of Christ, and trust him as the only means (and this excludes all works) of salvation.

I think that's a good way to look at it - does someone trust in Christ alone? Many Roman Catholics trust in their church above Christ, but many trust in Christ alone and use their church as an infallible aid. Many pentecostals/charismatics trust in what they perceive to be manifestations of the spirit, which amounts to trusting in their own interpretation of the phenomenons. But many pentecostals/charistmatics do trust in Christ alone. Many reformed trust in their interpretation of the bible above Christ, but many trust in Christ alone and use the bible as an infallible aid. And so it goes on; the Puritan view of assurance is clear - look for evidences in your life of the work of the spirit in the killing of sin and gospel duties done in grace. To decide on the assurance of another is even less clear - leave it up to our mutual Master.
Respectfully brother, the Christ we believe in is not some vague ,mystical, unknowable idea that the Roman church puts forth as their saviour. Our Jesus is the Jesus presented in the Bible only. We only cling to the propositional truths in Scripture Alone. Any other salvation and any other Jesus is just a fantasy.:handshake:

We are not saved by the propositional truths, we are saved by Christ. Someone can be saved while believing wrong propositions, but it makes it less likely. We believe in Christ himself, not in any representation of Him, whether that representation is made by the church or by scripture. Now scripture will always agree with the actual Christ, the church will not. But it is important to have the humility to realise that our interpretation of scripture may not agree with the real Christ and indeed CANNOT agree completely. I presume John Owen is still considered a reformed theologian? Well, before you answer me, read what he has to say, which I happened to read last night in "The Mortification of Sin" in the chapter on humility:

John Owen said:
For the being of God; we are so far from a knowledge of it, so as to be able to instruct one another therein by words and expressions of it, as that to frame any conceptions in our mind, with such species and impressions of things as we receive the knowledge of all other things by, is to make an idol to ourselves, and so to worship a god of our own making, and not the God that made us. We may as well and as lawfully hew him out of wood or stone as form him a being in our minds, suited to our apprehensions.

Apart from those few things which God has taught us, I'm afraid Owen thinks Christ is, to take your words, "vague, mystical and unknowable" and to think otherwise is to set up an idol in our minds that may as well be hewn out of wood or stone. If we cling to the image we have formed of Him in our minds, and refuse Christ Himself (when we refuse other Christians on a point of debated interpretation) then we are on a dangerous course.

It seems to me the correct course is to assume no-one is a Christian unless there is some gospel evidences of it. Preach to them, warn them, build them up into Christ, but don't assume they are saved especially not simply because they adhere to a set of propositions. The question then about Roman Catholics is then answered, "Don't assume they're saved any more than any one else (including your reformed friends) and only begin to suspect it of either when there are clear gospel evidences".

The Jesus we put our trust in is not some Jesus standing in a street corner or floating in the air or in some cookie that Catholics eat in their Mass. The only Jesus that we believe in is the Jesus presented in the Bible. The propositional truths regarding Jesus are explicitly set forth in Scripture to those who have eyes to see-----ie. the Elect. These Propositional truths concerning Jesus which we find in the Scriptures are the only way we can know Jesus. Any other knowledge of Jesus outside Scriptures whether visions, dreams or voices or in Papal decrees is only a fantasy or worse. Jesus being God is incomprehensible but knowable, but only through Scripture.

I believe that a Roman Catholic person may be saved in spite of his church for the same reason that I believe I may be saved in spite of my self; precisely because what I learn again and again is true: it is Christ who saves -- and I believe that his growth in grace like mine would be learning to more consciously and completely put his whole trust in Christ.

We may grow up to different degrees of faith in this life, yet it remains true saving faith. But let us never say that we are saved in spite of the gospel, for that would clearly contradict scripture.

III. This faith is different in degrees, weak or strong;[10] may be often and many ways assailed, and weakened, but gets the victory:[11] growing up in many to the attainment of a full assurance, through Christ,[12] who is both the author and finisher of our faith.[13]

10. Heb. 5:13-14; Rom. 4:19-20; 14:1-2; Matt. 6:30; 8:10
11. Luke 22:31-32; Eph. 6:16; I John 5:4-5
12. Heb. 6:11-12; 10:22; Col. 2:2
13. Heb. 12:2

I am often puzzled by statements made in these kinds of discussions by paedobaptists that would seem to exclude infants from salvation.

See post above. Nothing I stated excludes infants from salvation. Note how the WCF does not require saving faith for infants, but includes regeneration (which we are passive in) and salavation by Christ through the Spirit.

Either way, infants are the exception, and not the norm. The normal means of salvation include the gospel.

Jeff,

Do you believe that someone can be wholly trusting in Christ's work and not their own (i.e. they have the Gospel content), yet they think that they chose to do so with their free will?

Jeff,

Do you believe that someone can be wholly trusting in Christ's work and not their own (i.e. they have the Gospel content), yet they think that they chose to do so with their free will?

To me that is saying that one can be trusting that salavation is 100% of God, and 100% of me.

"Philosophy and religion both discard at once the very thought of free will: and I will go as far as Martin Luther, in that strong assertion of his, where he says, 'If any man doth ascribe of salvation, even the very least, to the free will of man, he knoweth nothing of grace, and he hath not learnt Jesus Christ aright.' It may seem a harsh sentiment: but he who in his soul believes that man does of his own free will turn to God, cannot have been taught of God, for that is one of the first principles taught us when God begins with us, that we have neither will nor power, but that he gives both: that he is 'Alpha and Omega' in the salvation of men"
C.H. Spurgeon (Sermon entitled "Free Will-A Slave")

It's not simply Roman Catholicism that is involved in this question. At the end of the day, the same viewpoint that would consign Roman Catholics to gehenna would end up consigning (by most accounts) the vast majority of the early church fathers whose writings have come down to us, the Roman Catholic church throughout history, the Orthodox churches, etc. The only reason such a viewpoint might hold out hope for the Celtic church is because the Celtic church hasn't left as many writings for posterity. But I'm sure that a person of that bent could comb Patrick's confession, or the stories of Celtic saints, or maybe make inferences from the female monastics in Ireland, and conclude that they were, in fact, not Christian. The same viewpoint would, 50% of the time, and probably more if followed out consistently, consign Melanchthon, later Lutheranism, Baxter, Arminians, C.S. Lewis, Chesterton, and Tolkien to gehenna. And that's not even counting all of the "in house" false sheep in the Reformed churches, which are also consigned to gehenna.

That is not a viewpoint that I want any part of. To think that the men who hammered out the canon, came up with the formulae which we still use to talk about the Trinity or the Hypostatic Union, the men who were formative in Christian theology, were not Christian... to think that the medieval church was not Christian in any sense, to think that Constantinople, which held back the progress of Islam for almost a thousand years and spread Christianity to Slavic and Russian lands, whose manuscript tradition many of us still use today, was not Christian... it just boggles my mind, and my soul recoils from it.

Clearly there are some motivated and passionate people in this thread who disagree. That being said, I have no desire to interact on this issue, because I don't have the time or energy, and I just don't want to deal with that mindset. Besides, this topic is rehashed on the Puritanboard every few years, and I posted something similar in the McMahon-Bushey-"Is the Arminian god worshippable (sp.?)" thread a few years ago that saw the banning of Pastorway (if I recall correctly). It's just like racial threads or exclusive psalmody threads, or Superbowl threads; they'll always return. So everyone else can return to the thread as usual, but I think it's a dangerous mindset.

:2cents:

I don't think that an infant can do those things physically. This is where the gospel may be present in them in seed form, if one wished to phrase it that way. Elect infants may have the spiritual capability to believe such things, but not the physical capability.

This is shown in the WCF:

III. Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit,[12] who worketh when, and where, and how he pleaseth:[13] so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.[14]
12. Gen. 17:7; Luke 1:15; 18:15-16; Acts 2:39; John 3:3, 5; I John 5:12
13. John 3:8
14. John 16:7-8; I John 5:12; Acts 4:12
With adults (with a few exceptions), we have the physical capability, but the unregenerate lack the spiritual capability (regeneration) to understand and believe such things.

Again, just for clarification, nobody is stating that one must be able to recite the Westminster in order to be saved. One however, must know of Christ, and trust him as the only means (and this excludes all works) of salvation.

Thanks, Jeff. I agree (of course!) as to the content of saving faith. I am not sure that even where sinners are physically capable of believing these things, they are morally capable in this life of believing them without some degree of error: so I wonder if it wouldn't clarify further to say that this content of saving faith can exist with error, but the faith and the error are distinguishable things (even though by definition, the person imperfectly distinguishes them). They will one day be ultimately distinguished (and we grow to distinguish them more completely in this life as part of sanctification). But the presence of error and confusion does not invalidate the content of faith. Even though a person's faith is incomplete and weak -- contained in a vessel that contains a lot of other things -- because it is there, looking to and laying hold of a whole and perfect Christ, it is the instrument of justification for the whole error ridden person?

I wish I could say what I am trying to more clearly. I think it's been said before in the thread, but it is because I believe in the vital truth of justification by faith alone, that I can believe that it is not adhering with perfect clarity to this doctrine that saves.

Last edited:
Jacob, are you Clarkian? :clark:
I have read some Gordon Clark but not enough to classify me as as a Clarkian. I think Robert Reymond in his superb Systematic Theology presents Clarks ideas very intelligibly and that book has definitely had some influence on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back