Are Calvinists good evangelists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Puritan Board Freshman
I had a thread up a few minutes ago, but took it down because nobody responded. Maybe this is a better way to ask the question:

Are Calvininsts good evangelists? What I mean is do we tend to sit around and wait for God to bring people to us, or do we truly "go unto all the world and preach the gospel." Too many people who call themselves Calvinists (hyper-Calvinists) won't have anything to do with anyone outside their little group. They think their job is to sit there and let God bring people to them. After all, all the elect will come to Christ. Is that Biblical?

"...how shall they hear without a preacher?" "“Romans 10:14

Originally posted by Jeremy
Are Calvininsts good evangelists?

Calvinism has been at the heart of the greatest revivals in history.

Think of the greatest revival of all in church history: The Reformation
Were Martin Luther, John Calvin, Zwingli, etc. good evangelists?

Now think about the Great Awakening in 18th century America.
Was Jonathan Edwards a good evangelist?

How about Charles Spurgeon in the 19th century?

Nowdays we have Calvinists like R.C. Sproul, John Piper, and many others preaching the Gospel, including D. James Kennedy, who created the "Evangelism Explosion" materials which have been used to take the Gospel into over 200 countries.

Throughout history, Calvinists have had the drive to evangelize like no other, because we have the greatest goal of all. Arminians evangelize to save souls. Calvinists also evangelize to save souls, but more importantly they evangelize because it brings glory to God. And there is no greater motivation than that!

Our Sovereign God commanded us to "go into all nations" and preach the Gospel. If we are really Calvinists, then we had better be about fulfilling our Sovereign Lord's command!!!

Jeremy,
Calvinists whom sit back and wait are what I would consider, hyper calvinists at best. They are in grave error!

Calvinists are biblical evangelists. We are monergistic in our approach. The Arminian is in error. The gospel they present is synergistic. That said, we are the one's actually fulfilling the command of Christ.

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Scott,

I'm not sure what monergism and synergism is. Can you explain?

J

Monergism --- God alone effects my salvation.

Synergism --- God and I work together to bring about my salvation.

Originally posted by biblelighthouse

Thanks. I can see how the latter is heretical. Can you give me examples of a synergistic gospel message?

Originally posted by biblelighthouse

Thanks. I can see how the latter is heretical. Can you give me examples of a synergistic gospel message?

Example:
God saw me choosing Him outside of time; that is why He elected me.

Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel writes:

""¦you could go to the race tracks with this kind of knowledge (foreknowledge). Imagine what you could do, having foreknowledge knowing every horse what he was going to do in that race and you would go to the race track with this kind of knowledge. Now if you could do you think you would go there and pick out a ticket of losers? I don't know what you do at racetracks. Would you pick out a bunch of losers? You would be stupid if you did. Of course you wouldn't you would pick the winners, because you know in advance who is going to win the race. What the outcome is going to be. And so you make your choices predicated on what the outcome is because you already know in advance what it is going to be. That is just using your head. Now that is what thrills me about God choosing me ... God already knows the choice you are going to make. But you are the one that makes the choice, but God in all of His wisdom, knows the choices each person is going to make. But He doesn't make the choice for you. He only knows in advance, that which you are going to choose. " http://calvarychapel.com/library/smith-chuck/studies-books/00-ALL-1979/5275.htm

[Edited on 5-24-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Jeremy,

Other examples of synergistic-styled "sermons" is anything emphasizing a "to do" list; "ten steps to a better xxxx"; or teaching the Sermon on the Mount like it's about us striving to "do xxx" (like we actually CAN); then leaving out Christ's completed work - and any informatin about the cross, resurrection.

This formula implies that we must "do xyz" to reach higher levels of blessing; holiness --- then God will prefer us more.

Another example is the navel-gazing cliche's like ---- "God loved me so much that he did xyz"....

Robin

[Edited on 5-24-2005 by Robin]

Yikes! I just read your Chuck Smith entry, Scott.

Chuck is SO wrong about "calling".....Paul does NOT mean vocation....Paul is talking about the "ordu salutis" -- "calling" to Paul, always means how we are saved. !!!

"calling and election" .... get it? (I'm sure you do.)

How sad and scary to see (in writing) such terrible exegesis by a pastor of a prominant denomination.

R. :chained:

PS. Actually, thank you, Scott...we should take note of how dangerous misunderstanding "calling" as expressed by Paul can be.

[Edited on 5-24-2005 by Robin]

Most modern "crusades" are synergistic - the idea being to get the unconverted to make a decision and demonstrate that by "coming forward" or signing a card or raising their hand, you know, the "every head bowed & every eye closed, yes, I see that hand, thank you" nonsense.

This has been a recent (late 19th Century) thing, with newer & better techniques to elicit decisions all the time. It's based on false assumptions about our ability to choose God. It's not that preaching to crowds is wrong, it's the pressure to make a decision now," after all you might die on the way home tonight." If you're elect, you'll live to respond to the Gospel. It's up to God not us.

It's more important to give the message, correctly, as many times as necessary to be understood, leaving the results to God, than to push for immediate decisions.

Oh brothers and sisters, how can you resist such a love as this? God has done everything he can possibly do for you. He sent his only son to die for you. What more can he do? He has done his part now won't you do yours?

See him there on the front porch watching the horizon for you. Crying and pleading and begging, "Come home my child!".

See his son hanging on the cross, watching and waiting for you to come - bloodied and beaten, wondering "Was it all for nothing????"

He's done this all for you because he thinks your special. Will you reject this love. Come, accept his son as your personal Lord and savior by saying this simple prayer. (Insert sinners prayer here)

Now you're saved and don't let anyone ever tell you you're not.

(If this doesn't work, lock the back doors and start telling the saddest stories in the world - orphanages catching fire, puppies dying or my favorite, the switchman whose little son wandered onto the tracks and the switchman had to decide between saving his only little boy or the train full of people. That's the best to get the tears flowing. If that doesn't get em walking the aisle I don't know what!)

Or this was a great one.
The devil has cast a vote and God has cast his, now it's up to you to cast the deciding vote!

Ahhhhh, thanks for the walk down memory lane. Ugh!!!!!!!

God can accomplish evangelism through a donkey if it pleases him. The question is not what is evangelism or who can do it, the question is how can we evangelize and be true to the truth of scripture? How can we share the gospel, the true gospel, and still maintain that God is sovereign in salvation.

Wesley was a great man but he did cast some shadows over the glory of God by making man sovereign in salvation. Finney took the next step and turned evangelism into a marketing campaign. Unfortunately, Finney's method has carried the day. It's all about marketing and hawking Jesus today.

Bob,

I was almost ready to make a decision. But just like Agrippa...

I hope this doesn't get too close to hyper-calvinism, but, as our Sovereign God appoints, so we must do. Eph. 2:10 says that He created work for us beforehand that we should walk in. But there are two sides to that. 1. The Bible is full of things to occupy our time, i.e. walk circumspectly, take up our cross, be transformed in the renewing of the mind, always be ready to give an answer, be at peace with everyone. Sometimes we're looking for a program when we really ought to just live. If our worldview and our lifestyle reflected the love of Christ and the grace of God, no program in the world, as dynamic and appealing as some of these are, will substitute. 2. God really does expect us to make the most of the opportunities He gives us. Just like putting Philip in the path of the eunuch, God puts us in the way of others so that we might be His witnesses.

But this is one of those classic examples of pitting God's sovereignty against man's responsibility. Those who see God as moving the pieces of the board and ordering men's lives like a scene from "Clash of the Titans," usually ignore the many things God has told us to be doing. But Calvinism does not sum up the imperatives of Scripture once our minds are illumined to the doctrines of the Bible. We aren't to bask in God's sovereignty so as to build a tabernacle there. God's sovereignty and His ordering of things, should drive us to seek out the opportunities to share the gospel so that we never miss a chance to bring glory to His name.

To me, those who take the hyper road are those who dip their toes in the pool, but wait for God to push them in. But what they fail to realize is that Calvin did cannonballs! Why? Because the Word of God is living, a two edged sword. Those who wait for God to prompt them when it is time, are missing the Scriptures that say that today is the day.

All it takes is living before God. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

In Christ,

KC

To me, those who take the hyper road are those who dip their toes in the pool, but wait for God to push them in. But what they fail to realize is that Calvin did cannonballs!

That is a word picture that will have me chuckling all day Kevin. That funny hat and bermuda shorts ......SPLASH!!!! :lol:

Those were some terrific thoughts too. Thank you Kevin, blessings.

The question you ask is because of the stereotype those who hold to the Doctrines of Grace have been scared with.

Now let us stay focused because it is a good question. Let us not do this please:

Are calvinists good evangelists? Arminians are heretic scum and wrong!!

What answer is that Scott? This is the first on line board I have joined, but surfing a few for a while, I find this response predominant everywhere.

That said, I will address the question at hand.

We do not know the secret council, decrees of God. We are to proclaim Christ as Savior of His sheep throughout the world. This has been done by many, who have been called Hyper Cals also. Gill, Crisp, Huntington, Hoeksema, Englesema, are examples of this.

The problem is the "well meant offer". Even if one denies this, they still should not deny evangelizing the Lord to people. When one becomes obsessed with saving souls, he misses the path.

I am always teased by friends who ask me if the PRC has signs in front of their churches. Or does God just mysteriously lead them there.

Originally posted by D Battjes
The question you ask is because of the stereotype those who hold to the Doctrines of Grace have been scared with.

Now let us stay focused because it is a good question. Let us not do this please:

Are calvinists good evangelists? Arminians are heretic scum and wrong!!

What answer is that Scott?

If you are going to quote me, please be accurate. Is Arminianism heresy?

This is the first on line board I have joined, but surfing a few for a while, I find this response predominant everywhere.

The reason it is predominant here is because we, like God, are assaulted at the idea of synergism.

That said, I will address the question at hand.

We do not know the secret council, decrees of God. We are to proclaim Christ as Savior of His sheep throughout the world. This has been done by many, who have been called Hyper Cals also. Gill, Crisp, Huntington, Hoeksema, Englesema, are examples of this.

The problem is the "well meant offer". Even if one denies this, they still should not deny evangelizing the Lord to people. When one becomes obsessed with saving souls, he misses the path.

I am always teased by friends who ask me if the PRC has signs in front of their churches. Or does God just mysteriously lead them there.

Hypers are known for not evangelizing; these are the one's I was referencing. As far as everyone else, if it is not the biblical gospel, it is worthless.

If you are going to quote me, please be accurate. Is Arminianism heresy?

The point I was making is your response was not even in the question at hand. Unless I am missing it, I can not find even a hint of the original thread asking you to comment on calvinist vs arminianist evangelists. So I will quote as I see fit.

The reason it is predominant here is because we, like God, are assaulted at the idea of synergism.

Well and good Scott. But again, it was not in the original question

Hypers are known for not evangelizing; these are the one's I was referencing. As far as everyone else, if it is not the biblical gospel, it is worthless.

What hypers though? I have heard this, but find very little evidence. It is all from 3rd party calminians dressed up as calvinists.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Jeremy,
Calvinists whom sit back and wait are what I would consider, hyper calvinists at best. They are in grave error!

Calvinists are biblical evangelists. We are monergistic in our approach. The Arminian is in error. The gospel they present is synergistic. That said, we are the one's actually fulfilling the command of Christ.
:ditto:

D.M.
It was an accurate answer to the question. jeremy asked were Calvinists good evangelists. In retrospect, the other option is one whom is NOT a Calvinist, i.e. the Arminian. Based upon that, I responded in like manner. The evangelist IS the Calvinist as we are the one's whom expound a biblical gospel. Whether we are seen as lackadaisical is left to God alone. Compared with the evanjellyfishes, we look fatigued. But they are not preaching a true gospel.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
D.M.
It was an accurate answer to the question. jeremy asked were Calvinists good evangelists. In retrospect, the other option is one whom is NOT a Calvinist, i.e. the Arminian. Based upon that, I responded in like manner. The evangelist IS the Calvinist as we are the one's whom expound a biblical gospel. Whether we are seen as lackadaisical is left to God alone. Compared with the evanjellyfishes, we look fatigued. But they are not preaching a true gospel.

And I most certainly agree Scott that those who preach the doctrines of Grace will be motivated to reach the elect. But I disagree that hypers as a rule do not evangelize at all.

DM

I tend to stereotype. The only real hypers I know are my neighbors. I'm not sure if it would offend anyone for me to single them out, but I'm not using names.

For example, the father is the pastor of their church, and the congregation is his wife & kids and their wives/children...period. A total of about 13 people. I have spoken with him before about reaching out to people and he said they just wouldn't be interested in his type of theology(reformed). "People today are looking for entertainment, they don't want the truth." he says. So he uses that as an excuse to not evangelize. He told me they have no fellowship with unbelievers, the "liberal" church or anyone else that is outside their denomination (ARP). Is there anything I can do to get through to him?

p.s. I don't "fellowship" with unbelievers or liberals either, but in context he was basically telling me he doesn't even want to have anything to do with them in any way shape or form. Is this extreme?

I tend to stereotype. The only real hypers I know are my neighbors. I'm not sure if it would offend anyone for me to single them out, but I'm not using names.

For example, the father is the pastor of their church, and the congregation is his wife & kids and their wives/children...period. A total of about 13 people. I have spoken with him before about reaching out to people and he said they just wouldn't be interested in his type of theology(reformed). "People today are looking for entertainment, they don't want the truth." he says. So he uses that as an excuse to not evangelize. He told me they have no fellowship with unbelievers, the "liberal" church or anyone else that is outside their denomination (ARP). Is there anything I can do to get through to him?

p.s. I don't "fellowship" with unbelievers or liberals either, but in context he was basically telling me he doesn't even want to have anything to do with them in any way shape or form. Is this extreme?

May I ask why you consider them hypers? The fellowshipping issue is not a reason to label them that. The term has been perverted to mean what it never inteded to mean. JW's are not to fellowship with those outside of bethel. And they are not calvinists.

I myself am a High Grace believer. Could I be labeled a hyper? I have been by a few. Though it matters little to me. I will repeat, there are more Calminians today that Calvinists. Even the Doctrines of grace have been polluted with the muck of modern day churchianity.

Scott,

That website was interesting.

"We will not fellowship with anyone who we know opposes at least one of the doctrines contained in this Confession. We will not endorse, promote, or be a part of any church, religious group, missionary work, or denomination that we know (1) opposes at least one of the doctrines contained in this Confession or (2) has at least one member who opposes at least one of the doctrines contained in this Confession."

Gimme a break.

So I guess their way of evangelizing is to sit in their cave and let God do the work He's called us to do. We would just get in the way. There's no need to go into all the world and preach the gospel as Jesus commanded I guess.

Scott,

I should say so.

DM,

They are hyper-Calvinistic in that they are so seperatistic. They think that they should just sit on the side-lines and let God do the evangelism without a preacher. The only problem with that is that we are called to spread the message. We plant and water, and God gives the increase. God is sovereign, but we are called to be prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back