Appropriate work of the Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcalbrecht

Puritan Board Junior
Having attended an number of PCA GAs, and listened to endless reports from PCA committees and agencies, I have always wondered about the appropriate work of the church.

Which of the following are appropriate denominational functions and why?

- An investment foundation
- A retirement and benefits agency
- A retreat center
- A college
- A seminary

The discussion on Ridge Haven is happening now. It sounds more like a presentation from a recreation center developer -- one of those Floriday "buy your plot of land now" types -- rather than church work.

Thoughts?

I've been to 2 GA's and I seem to be in the bookstore when these subjects come up!

I'm not familiar with Ridge Haven or some of the other PCA institutions or programs mentioned.

I definitely see principial merit in the college and seminary. I assume the retirement and benefits agency is for retired ministers and staff. I dunno about the investment foundation or retreat center.

It is very easy for a church to take on a corporate mentality and get distracted from the business of advancing the kingdom of God. I do believe there are certain activities that are consistent with taking care of the household of God, including seminary education and diaconal responsibilities, but the church ought to guard against becoming just another corporate entity in the wordly world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back