Applying to seminary without a Bachelor of Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
Dear brethren,

I understand many seminaries require a pretty solid liberal arts core. I am not a seminarian but I do think it is justified to require that. I understand that in the States getting a BA is less common nowadays (pragmatically a BA degree just isn't economically viable?). However, it is viable if the young man decides that he is getting an Mdiv after a BA - no working in between.

So practically, how do we help those men who have Bachelors in other disciplines get the required Pre Seminary credits / knowledge (Logic, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Philosophy)? Solving this problem would also help the many men from all over the world seeking a Reformed education, many of whom are of a mature age and do not hold Bachelors that provide a western, classical education. (Example, I hold an Accounting degree).

Hi John,

The Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary only requires a Bachelor degree. It doesn't have to be a BA. The only requirement is that you have studied the biblical languages -- two years of Greek, one year of Hebrew -- plus one year of Latin. I know guys who've attended CRTS with B.Comm. or B.Sci. degrees.

See here for more info.

So your only problem is finding a place to pick up those languages. If you can't do them in Singapore, Perth WA would be your next best option.

I entered Seminary (RPTS) with a BS in Computer Science. That's not unusual in the States. They teach you the Biblical Languages in Seminary and they are not a prerequisite.

Thanks Wes, exploring options now. Would have to ask CRTS if distance learning credits (possibly at PRTS) would be sufficient. Alternatively, I could go to my brick and mortar non-reformed Seminary here. But anyway that is for the future as I discern my call now.

Rom : That is good to hear, I guess Seminary requirements differ and how stringent it is enforced. Do they take into consideration the age of a student, presbytery care, laymen service to make up for this 'deficiencies' etc.

Thanks Wes, exploring options now. Would have to ask CRTS if distance learning credits (possibly at PRTS) would be sufficient. Alternatively, I could go to my brick and mortar non-reformed Seminary here. But anyway that is for the future as I discern my call now.

Glad to help, brother. I think CRTS would be flexible on that, but best to ask them yourself.

BTW, I do highly recommend CRTS to you and everyone else. The language requirements shouldn't be seen as onerous -- on the contrary, once you graduate you'll have at least 6 years of Greek and 5 years of Hebrew. That is incredibly helpful preparation for a lifetime of preaching God's Word. I'll always be grateful for it.

Here in the States pretty much every seminary will admit you with another type of Bachelor's degree other than one of Arts. I can't even think of one that would require only a BA. Look at Poythress. He had a Doctorate in Math before he entered the ministry.

As others have noted, requiring a B.A. (as opposed to a B.S., etc.) is now the exception rather than the rule in graduate theological education. Most seminaries do recommend a well rounded B.A. with a good deal of liberal arts, but accept most accredited degrees. Many schools have found ways to account for this within the M.Div. curriculum. Others, unfortunately, have "dumbed-down" their programs (reduced credit hours, dropped language requirements, etc.) to make them more accessible to those without adequate preparation.

It is also worth noting that seminaries accredited by the Association of Theological Schools are allowed to admit a small number of students (less than 15% of the student body) to the M.Div. or an professional MA program (counseling, missions, christian education, etc.) without a bachelor's degree. It is up to each individual school as to what they require in these situations. The ideal candidate for WSC would be older (at least 30 yrs of age), exhibit a clear (internal/external) calling to pastoral ministry, have completed 30-60 academic credits predominately in the liberal arts, and acquired some ministry (used somewhat loosely) experience. Though we don't admit many students without a bachelor's degree, some of our best students have been admitted through this program.

Given the state of our current post-secondary educational system, even a B.A. degree from many universities doesn't provide the kind of preparation necessary to do solid academic work at graduate level. I think a one year (undergraduate level) pre-seminary program that includes history, philosophy, English, etc. along with beginning Greek/Hebrew and possibly another classical or foreign language) for those with inadequate preparation would be ideal. Done properly, this year could prove to be more beneficial to seminary students than a 4 year degree at many (but certainly not all) colleges or universities.

It is also worth noting that seminaries accredited by the Association of Theological Schools are allowed to admit a small number of students (less than 15% of the student body) to the M.Div. or an professional MA program (counseling, missions, christian education, etc.) without a bachelor's degree.
This must be what was done for a friend of mine. After high school he attended a technical institute and earned a 2 year degree in electronics. 10 years later he went to seminary. But at the end of his seminary schooling he could not graduate and get his Masters degree because he did not have a Bachelors degree. He then had to go back to school and find one who would let him do it in less than 4 years. He did the work out of order but he was finally able to get his Masters degree.

As others have noted, requiring a B.A. (as opposed to a B.S., etc.) is now the exception rather than the rule in graduate theological education. Most seminaries do recommend a well rounded B.A. with a good deal of liberal arts, but accept most accredited degrees. Many schools have found ways to account for this within the M.Div. curriculum. Others, unfortunately, have "dumbed-down" their programs (reduced credit hours, dropped language requirements, etc.) to make them more accessible to those without adequate preparation.

It is also worth noting that seminaries accredited by the Association of Theological Schools are allowed to admit a small number of students (less than 15% of the student body) to the M.Div. or an professional MA program (counseling, missions, christian education, etc.) without a bachelor's degree. It is up to each individual school as to what they require in these situations. The ideal candidate for WSC would be older (at least 30 yrs of age), exhibit a clear (internal/external) calling to pastoral ministry, have completed 30-60 academic credits predominately in the liberal arts, and acquired some ministry (used somewhat loosely) experience. Though we don't admit many students without a bachelor's degree, some of our best students have been admitted through this program.

Given the state of our current post-secondary educational system, even a B.A. degree from many universities doesn't provide the kind of preparation necessary to do solid academic work at graduate level. I think a one year (undergraduate level) pre-seminary program that includes history, philosophy, English, etc. along with beginning Greek/Hebrew and possibly another classical or foreign language) for those with inadequate preparation would be ideal. Done properly, this year could prove to be more beneficial to seminary students than a 4 year degree at many (but certainly not all) colleges or universities.

Good insight, I do notice Dordt and Calvin (uhoh) college providing a tailored made Pre seminary program. What would be good would be Reformed Schools working with other instituitions in this regard

This must be what was done for a friend of mine. After high school he attended a technical institute and earned a 2 year degree in electronics. 10 years later he went to seminary. But at the end of his seminary schooling he could not graduate and get his Masters degree because he did not have a Bachelors degree. He then had to go back to school and find one who would let him do it in less than 4 years. He did the work out of order but he was finally able to get his Masters degree.

Schools handle these situations differently. At WSC our M.Div. Special Students do receive the M.Div. degree upon completion of the program (without the process you described). The intent is to get those who are adequately gifted and have a sincere calling into pastoral ministry without the burden of completing a first degree. There are disadvantages of having the M.Div. without a bachelor's degree. In particular, there are a few denominations require a BA/BS for ordination and post-gradate (PHDs) educational options are very limited for those with out an undergraduate degree.

Hi John,

The Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary only requires a Bachelor degree. It doesn't have to be a BA. The only requirement is that you have studied the biblical languages -- two years of Greek, one year of Hebrew -- plus one year of Latin. I know guys who've attended CRTS with B.Comm. or B.Sci. degrees.

See here for more info.

So your only problem is finding a place to pick up those languages. If you can't do them in Singapore, Perth WA would be your next best option.

Good news, CRTS have said they accept https://courses.biblemesh.com/biblemesh-biblical-languages as fulfilling the foundational langauge requirements! That is one worry off my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back