APA info

• Thread starter Deleted member 11889
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11889

Does anybody here know anything about the Anglican Province of America? I know that it split off from the mainline Anglican church when that denom started to move hard left - but does anybody know just how Reformed/conservative/confessional it is, or rather, what the spectrum is within that group?

From my understanding they are pretty strongly Anglo Catholic. I don’t know of any appreciation for Reformed theology there, more for the early church fathers and perhaps the Tractarian writers. They’re in communion with some other Anglo Catholic bodies (e.g. Anglican Catholic Church)

Some churches in the ACNA (Anglican Church of North America) are friendly to Reformed teaching.

The Reformed Episcopal Church is most closely affiliated with the ACNA as I recall, but they do have agreements with the APA as well as various African bodies. They also aren't as reformed as they used to be.

The Anglican community in the US is highly fragmented, even within the various bodies. (Role of women, high church/low church. Almost makes one think of Presbyterians).

Like the PCA, one must use discernment.

Does anybody here know anything about the Anglican Province of America? I know that it split off from the mainline Anglican church when that denom started to move hard left - but does anybody know just how Reformed/conservative/confessional it is, or rather, what the spectrum is within that group?

The identity of the APA is very Anglo-Catholic with more emphasis on the latter than the former.

The Presiding Bishop, Chandler Jones, blogs at philorthodox. Take a glance and you'll quickly discern where they are on the Anglican spectrum.

The identity of the APA is very Anglo-Catholic with more emphasis on the latter than the former.

The Presiding Bishop, Chandler Jones, blogs at philorthodox. Take a glance and you'll quickly discern where they are on the Anglican spectrum.
I’ve been perusing this blog. He’s essentially Rome without Rome. Wants Catholicism without the Pope. Says the Anglican (really the Tractarian/Puseyite) view of justification is closer to Trent than Luther or Calvin. Cranmer, Latimer, Ridley, and Coverdale, not to mention Newton, Wesley, Toplady, and Ryle would strongly beg to differ with his interpretation of Anglicanism.

I’ve been perusing this blog. He’s essentially Rome without Rome. Wants Catholicism without the Pope. Says the Anglican (really the Tractarian/Puseyite) view of justification is closer to Trent than Luther or Calvin. Cranmer, Latimer, Ridley, and Coverdale, not to mention Newton, Wesley, Toplady, and Ryle would strongly beg to differ with his interpretation of Anglicanism.

Here is another good site that sheds light on the APA and what they believe - https://www.earthaltar.org/

I could not recommend the APA to anyone interested in Anglicanism.

Here is another good site that sheds light on the APA and what they believe - https://www.earthaltar.org/

I could not recommend the APA to anyone interested in Anglicanism.
This one is just as bad. I didn’t know how deeply many Anglo Catholics have exchanged their Reformational birthright for a mess of ceremonial, “historic,” and Counter-Reformation pottage. It is sad indeed. They may as well jump back to Rome or swim the Bosporus, but here they basically get to be “independent Catholics.”

listen to this article linked from that site:

Whether it be the historic episcopate, the sacred altar, the shape of the liturgy, beautiful church ceremonial, the Real Presence [i.e. transubstantiation] of Our Lord in the Eucharist, baptismal regeneration, ancient hymnody, a traditional (Western) calendar, the Daily Office, the blood of martyrs, the intercession of saints and angels, the veneration of Our Lady, or any other facet of the life of one, holy, catholic and apostolic church—there is no need for the thirsty soul to keep searching for what is already richly present in the spiritual resources of the Anglican Way.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back