Anyone recommend any of these books on prophecy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
I am getting ready to study eschatology and have several books in my library and was wondering if was worth taking the extra time to read these titles.

The Parousia
Pauline Eschatology by Geerhardus Vos
The Last Days According to Jesus R.C SProul
The Bible and the Future by Hoekema
The Antichrist by A.W. Pink
The Millennium by Boettner
A Case for Amillennialism Riddlebarger
A Man of Sin Riddlebarger
When Shall These Things Be? Mathison

Dispensationalism Charles Ryrie Just Kidding

Great stuff...I've got most of those in my library too.

BUT...before you dive in, I super, dooper, totally, stongly recommend you read one very very important book first.

Biblical Hermeneutics by Milton S. Terry

And when your done with that get the supplemental book by him

Biblical Apocolyptics by Milton S. Terry

These may be hard to find as they were first published in the late 1800s...but they were required text books in seminaries for many years.

I've got a fascimile older copy, and some newer copies that I "think" I got at AmericanVision.org

AGAIN..these are a must read for any student of the bible, let alone when diving into apocolypics and prophecy.

I am getting ready to study eschatology and have several books in my library and was wondering if was worth taking the extra time to read these titles.

The Parousia

I just underlined the ones I'd suggest with a quick note, Pink's work is free online and it's dispey.

The Parousia

I just underlined the ones I'd suggest with a quick note, Pink's work is free online and it's dispey.

Pink denounced all of his Dispensational stuff. He wished it could all be burned.

A) I have already read Milton Terry's Biblical Hermeneutics but did not know he had one just on Apocalyptics.
B) I am already going to read Gentry's Before the Temple Fell and He Shall Have Dominion. I am going to try to supplement my eschatology training with some of these other books.
C) I have heard Vos is hard to read, is this true?
D) I never would have figured Pink to be a Dispensational:confused:

C) I have heard Vos is hard to read, is this true?
Well, it's not easy...like reading Sproul, but not difficult like reading B. B. Warfield either. Vos is well worth the effort. Chapter Ten The Question of Chilliasm, In Paul was excellent.

D) I never would have figured Pink to be a Dispensational:confused:

Pink changed his position on eschatology in his later years.

BUT...before you dive in, I super, dooper, totally, stongly recommend you read one very very important book first.

These may be hard to find as they were first published in the late 1800s...but they were required text books in seminaries for many years.

I've got a fascimile older copy, and some newer copies that I "think" I got at AmericanVision.org

AGAIN..these are a must read for any student of the bible, let alone when diving into apocolypics and prophecy.

Isn't Milton S. Terry a full preterist? If so, he is confessionally out of bounds! (And biblically!)

I would recommend...

The Bible and the Future - Hoekema
A Case for Amillennialism - Riddlebarger
He Shall Have Dominion - Gentry
A Conquered Kingdom -by our own Daniel Ritchie

I'm pretty certain Sproul uses quite a bit of Gentry in his book.

"The Puritan Hope" is a must read.

Isn't Milton S. Terry a full preterist? If so, he is confessionally out of bounds! (And biblically!)

Not sure about that - certainly partial. Russell, on the other hand, whose work "The Parousia" was previously noted, WAS a full preterist.

If I'm not mistaken Pink changed his position from dispensational premil to historic premil and then Amil by the end of his life.

If I'm not mistaken Pink changed his position from dispensational premil to historic premil and then Amil by the end of his life.

He certainly moved from dispensationalsm to amillennialism, but I am not sure if he ever held to historic premillennialism.

Whilst Monergism say that this is "Pink's defense of Dispensationalism prior to being converted to the Covenantal view" they are wrong as Pink declares,

"But there is further reason, and a pressing one today, why we should write upon our present subject, and that is to expose the modern and pernicious error of Dispensationalism. This is a device of the Enemy, designed to rob the children of no small part of that bread which their heavenly Father has provided for their souls; a device wherein the wily serpent appears as an angel of light, feigning to "make the Bible a new book" by simplifying much in it which perplexes the spiritually unlearned. It is sad to see how widely successful the devil has been by means of this subtle innovation. It is likely that some of our own readers, when perusing the articles upon the interpretation of the Scriptures, felt more than once that we were taking an undue liberty with Holy Writ, that we made use of certain passages in a way altogether unjustifiable, that we appropriated to the saints of this Christian era what does not belong to them but is rather addressed unto those who lived in an entirely different dispensation of the past, or one which is yet future. This modern method of mishandling the Scriptures—for modern it certainly is, being quite unknown to Christendom till little more than a century ago, and only within recent years being adopted by those who are outside the narrow circle where it originated—is based upon 2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Very little or nothing at all is said upon the first two clauses of that verse, but on the third one, which is explained as "correctly partitioning the Scriptures unto the different peoples to whom they belong." These mutilators of the Word tell us that all of the Old Testament from Genesis 12 onwards belongs entirely to Israel after the flesh, and that none of its precepts (as such) are binding upon those who are members of the Church which is the Body of Christ, nor may any of the promises found therein be legitimately appropriated by them. And this, be it duly noted, without a single word to that effect by either the Lord or any of His Apostles, and despite the use which the Holy Spirit makes of the earliest Scriptures in every part of the New Testament. So far from the Holy Spirit teaching Christians practically to look upon the Old Testament much as they would upon an obsolete almanac, He declares, "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the (Old Testament) Scriptures might have hope" (Rom. 15:4). "​

Some crazy person at a local bookstore recommended The Parousia, I had suspected that it was full preterest but was not sure.

Some crazy person at a local bookstore recommended The Parousia, I had suspected that it was full preterest but was not sure.

I've read it..

It is not full preterist entirely. It has good exegetical arguments throughout...but there are sections that leave the "door open" sort of speak to full preterism.

Note: Any one who has not read this book would not be considered a student of eschatology or apocolyptics..
Look in the bibliography of most scholars who have written on eschatology and you will see this book was one that was used...e.g., RC Sprouls, the Last Days According to Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back