Anyone here with the requisite skills to help with the official update to the NRSV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could give them much good advice, and make several needed edits. Think they want my help?

They should just adopt the ESV, which is based on the 1971 version of the RSV. Of course, some of the ESV's corrected renderings (from the RSV) would probably be too conservative for them.

They should adopt the present NASB, so when they change that we still have the old one.

I got my first copy of the NRSV recently. Allan put one out in Highland goatskin and I couldn't resist. I like reading various English translations for comparison, and was curious, since the NRSV has the reputation of being 'accurate' in translation, and I've read it is the preferred translation in many universities.

I happen to like the way it reads. Of course the usual CT suspects are present, and the translation of Isaiah 7:14 still reads 'young girl'. Perhaps if Reformed translators are added to the mix some of the more egregious errors might be corrected.

The source of the quote is disputed, but ;

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

Perhaps if Reformed translators are added to the mix some of the more egregious errors might be corrected.

They are about as interested in adding conservative Reformed or evangelical translators to the mix as John MacArthur is in recognizing the Pope as his Christian brother.

I got my first copy of the NRSV recently. Allan put one out in Highland goatskin and I couldn't resist.

What color did you go with? The speckles on it sure are unique. I hope RL Allan secures more highland goatskin and tries this style with other translations. Though I officially purchased my last Bible in 2018 when I splurged and bought a KJV Longprimer 53C!

I don't own the NRSV, but I periodically include it in my passage lookup on Bible Gateway.

What color did you go with? The speckles on it sure are unique. I hope RL Allan secures more highland goatskin and tries this style with other translations. Though I officially purchased my last Bible in 2018 when I splurged and bought a KJV Longprimer 53C!

I don't own the NRSV, but I periodically include it in my passage lookup on Bible Gateway.
The speckles really attracted me too. The first two colors available were red and brown. I was leaning toward the red, but waited for the black, as I thought the contrast with the blue speckles would be cool, and it is. They have also come out with a blue Highland on this edition which might even be more attractive with the blue speckled page edges.

I've actually been surprised to find some evangelicals use the NRSV. Not quite sure why, especially with ESV now available. I saw recently an ARP congregation that used it as the pulpit/liturgical (i.e., the order of worship had all its quotations of Scripture from the NRSV) translation. I've also seen it in the pews at a PCA church I visited a while back.

Yeah, the NRSV has a definite liberal bias. However, in terms of English, it reads smoother than the ESV.

You realize just how many translations read smoother in English than the ESV when you're facilitating a Sunday school class of middle schoolers. :doh::drool:

I happen to like the way it reads. Of course the usual CT suspects are present, and the translation of Isaiah 7:14 still reads 'young girl'. Perhaps if Reformed translators are added to the mix some of the more egregious errors might be corrected.

I use the ESV at church but I strongly prefer the NRSV for personal reading. Their translators were really good with English ("humankind" and the like notwithstanding). I have my filters running but in general I've been edified in the two years it has been my primary reader.

If the ESV had corrected the NRSV instead of the old RSV I think the English would have been much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back