Anybody still use the Kindle in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiu

Puritan Board Junior
Fellow PBer's:

I haven't touched my Amazon Kindle Keyboard in over three years. Yesterday I plugged it back in. Today I updated the software, connected to my Amazon account, and got all my old books back on. I'm excited to get back into reading Kindle books. I notice many books I want to buy (or already have) are not necessarily something I need in my physical library. That is, there's not much of a point for me in having the physical book just sitting there. Many books I have in my wish list are cheaper in Kindle format. I can sync across my devices, so if I only have my phone, tablet, or laptop, I can still do some lite reading on that. I like doing longer reading sessions on the Kindle because of the e-ink screen. I can also share quotations easier and do searches better in electronic format.

So, who on here still reads on their Kindle in 2017?! What do you mainly use it for?

So, who on here still reads on their Kindle in 2017?! What do you mainly use it for?

I have switched to a larger tablet with the Kindle App. My actual Kindle sits on a shelf except when there are more people at family Bible reading than there are devices to go around. Then it comes back to life for an hour or so.

I personally am trying to avoid collecting more physical books. I read mostly books from the library, including eBooks (my library has Overdrive and Hoopla) and physical books. I also read older, free works on my original generation nook.

I ain't got any heat stove or fireplace at home, so no reason for kindlin' here. I do use Kingsford Briquettes pretty often, along with some hickory chunks and oak.

I use my Kindle HDX when in waiting rooms. The screen has warped as I stored it like a book on a shelf too long so I have six of those multi-paper clamps holding it down on top and bottom side in hopes that it will return to its normal shape. Still readable and touch screen enabled despite the warping.

Mostly I just use the Kindle app on my laptop. I have a 4K UHD screen on the laptop and reading is just as good as on the HDX version. Of course I also have Calibre with just as many books on the laptop, too.

I ain't got any heat stove or fireplace at home, so no reason for kindlin' here. I do use Kingsford Briquettes pretty often, along with some hickory chunks and oak.

its-all-about-context-thumb.jpg

:rofl:

Even when you're not adding to the discussion, you still add to the discussion, brother. :lol:

I still use an old Kindle. What I primarly use it for, however, is to download the book and then transfer it to a computer where I can rip the Kindle book I just bought into MP3. I have Stargardt's disease so it's hard for me to read and I spend so much time driving anyway, I get more "reading" done by listening to books.

Fellow PBer's:

I haven't touched my Amazon Kindle Keyboard in over three years. Yesterday I plugged it back in. Today I updated the software, connected to my Amazon account, and got all my old books back on. I'm excited to get back into reading Kindle books. I notice many books I want to buy (or already have) are not necessarily something I need in my physical library. That is, there's not much of a point for me in having the physical book just sitting there. Many books I have in my wish list are cheaper in Kindle format. I can sync across my devices, so if I only have my phone, tablet, or laptop, I can still do some lite reading on that. I like doing longer reading sessions on the Kindle because of the e-ink screen. I can also share quotations easier and do searches better in electronic format.

Just about everything.

I use mine sometimes. I still prefer physical books though.
I'm the same way with certain books. If it's a book I expect to read from cover to cover straight through, reading on the Kindle is fine. However, books I expect to flip through (like the Bible, systematic theologies, etc.) I like them physical.

Last edited:
I use my Fire regularly. It's nice having a couple of translations with links to a couple of commentaries and the Strongs numbering and definition at hand while I'm at church. I also used it for reading - mostly free books and public domain. Last time I used my regular Kindle was on a long overseas flight where I knew my Fire battery wouldn't last. (That was before they had cheap add on battery packs and it was more miss than hit for power at your seat).

I'll assume that your tablet is made of paper, your keyboard is for music, and your mouse is caught in a trap out in the shed. Cords are wood and the web is out in a corner of the barn. Yeehaw!

Well to inflame the discussion -- I like the Kindle app for fun reads though the Fire is helpful when I remember it, especially on planes. Books to study -- I want hardcopy.

I personally don't use one right now. My wife and daughter do. The kindle Fires are great devices for the money. As the price and thickness has come down I think in time they could be used in a 'multi-pad' way when need to have several books open at once. You'll be able to stuff several Kindles (or other tablets) in a briefcase to be used simultaneously if needed.
Picard_PADD-450x322.jpg

I use it and I use it for nearly everything, except mamking documents.. It is portable. I am using it now typing this,granted swype tends not to work at times but that is only for a second or so.

I read around 100 books every year on my Paperwhite but recently got a good deal on a used Voyage and switched to that. E-ink is the way to go and probably 75% of the books I read are checked out from the library on Overdrive. Yes, I still use mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back