Any thoughts on Lane Tipton's interpretation of Kline in the OPC report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you hold to NCT?
I do agree with its basic premise, that the Christian under Grace is now under the NT application of the Law of Christ, but since that is still obeying the Moral commands as in the Law given Moses, don;t see that big of a difference.

Law of Christ

What is the law of Christ?

Further, what does it mean to be "under the NT application of the Law of Christ"?

Christian under Grace

Is there another type of Christian, one who was not under grace? I don't understand the purpose of this statement.

Finally, you do know the reformed view is that the Covenant of Grace is progressively revealed through different covenant administrations (Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic) culminating in its fullest picture in the New Covenant (which are all the covenant administration promises together and seen in the light fully of Christ)? Thus the moral law (10 commandments) are perpetually binding on all men.

What is the law of Christ?

Further, what does it mean to be "under the NT application of the Law of Christ"?

Is there another type of Christian, one who was not under grace? I don't understand the purpose of this statement.

Finally, you do know the reformed view is that the Covenant of Grace is progressively revealed through different covenant administrations (Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic) culminating in its fullest picture in the New Covenant (which are all the covenant administration promises together and seen in the light fully of Christ)? Thus the moral law (10 commandments) are perpetually binding on all men.

The Law of Christ would be the summay of the commands that Jesus and His Apostles gave to us under the New Covenant. so they would include the moral law commands save for the Sabbath day, as the other 9 were regiven in the NT Epistles again.

Being a Baptist myself, woultend to see more of adifference between the Law d the Gospl, but alo do seeGrave comntained even withi the Law , and especially und thoe diferent covent administrtions of thetpast.

Where is the 4th commandment 'found' in the NT?

Matthew 28; Mark 16; Luke 24; John 20-21; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1-2; Revelation 1:10.

And very specifically Matthew 5:17-18 and Hebrews 4:9.

The Law of Christ would be the summay of the commands that Jesus and His Apostles gave to us under the New Covenant. so they would include the moral law commands save for the Sabbath day, as the other 9 were regiven in the NT Epistles again.

Being a Baptist myself, woultend to see more of adifference between the Law d the Gospl, but alo do seeGrave comntained even withi the Law , and especially und thoe diferent covent administrtions of thetpast.

So you are saying you hold an anti-Confessional view and you have been pressing that (seemingly) on this thread?

David,
You ought to consider what your own confession teaches about the Sabbath day (LBC 22:7-8):
7. As it is the law of nature, that in general a proportion of time, by God's appointment, be set apart for the worship of God, so by his Word, in a positive moral, and perpetual commandment, binding all men, in all ages, he hath particularly appointed one day in seven for a sabbath to be kept holy unto him, which from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ was the last day of the week, and from the resurrection of Christ was changed into the first day of the week, which is called the Lord's day: and is to be continued to the end of the world as the Christian Sabbath, the observation of the last day of the week being abolished. ( Exodus 20:8; 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2; Acts 20:7; Revelation 1:10 )

8. The sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering their common affairs aforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations, but are also taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy. ( Isaiah 58:13; Nehemiah 13:15-22; Matthew 12:1-13 )

Douglas,

Are you not convinced from Scripture that Our Lord appointed the first weekday as the day that He was to be met in worship? In Col. 2:16, is there anything Paul is saying that leads one to believe the moral obligation of the Sabbath has been suspended?

FYI. David has been suspended so cannot respond. If folks want to discuss the issues of NCT's view of the law and its rejection of the fourth commandment, that would be appropriate for a new thread I should think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back