Another Verse Bites the Dust? - Genesis 15:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings,

Dr. Guguid @iainduguid and others. I need help with another of my favorite verses. (See my former question about Isaiah 35:8)

After Abram's rescue of his nephew Lot and encounter with Melchizedek, the Lord visits Abram in a vision:
Genesis 15:1 [KJV]
After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Often my eyes have filled with tears at the thought of God Himself being my "exceeding great reward." To which thought I respond with Psalm 73:25 - Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. (or similar words)

But other translations speak differently about the reward, and I think I see their point.
[ESV]
"Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great."
[YLT]
‘Fear not, Abram, I [am] a shield to thee, thy reward [is] exceeding great.’
[NASB]
“Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great."

In context, Abram responds by questioning the gift, and that he continues childless and his heir will not be of his own. "Behold, you have given me no offspring, and a member of my household will be my heir." Is Abram complaining? Or, just confused by the promised reward? (Gen. 12:2,7)

Any thoughts?

I don't think you need necessarily to give this one up either. The Hebrew literally says "I am your shield/your reward (or wages) very great". Depending on whether you read the break as a comma or a semi-colon, you get the different translations given above. The Septuagint goes with "Your reward is very great"; Luther "I am your very great reward" But we can't separate the gifts from the giver. Whatever God gives us in this world is a pale reflection of his greatest gift, which is himself.

One additional wrinkle, which perhaps pushes in the direction you don't want to go ("Your reward is very great"). In Psalm 127:3, we have the same idea of a reward from the Lord, which there is explicitly children. And, as you observe, Abraham's immediate response to the Lord's statement is "I have no children." So I think Abraham hears it as "Your reward is very great" which rings hollow to him in the absence of the most obvious sign of earthly blessing: children. To bring it full circle, though, how does God give us the gift of himself? It is through the ultimate promised seed of Abraham, Jesus Christ. The reward will come, but not yet. Abraham must live by faith, not sight. So your meditation is fitting: in those times in life when it seems that God has not blessed us with the things we want, we have the promise that he is our ultimate reward, given to us through the incarnation, suffering, death and resurrection of his own Son. Having that great and precious promise, what else do we need here on earth?

Some encouragement:
If you rejoice because the Lord is your reward, you are on the right side of Scripture:
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."
(Lamentations 3:24)

I don't think you need necessarily to give this one up either. The Hebrew literally says "I am your shield/your reward (or wages) very great". Depending on whether you read the break as a comma or a semi-colon, you get the different translations given above. The Septuagint goes with "Your reward is very great"; Luther "I am your very great reward" But we can't separate the gifts from the giver. Whatever God gives us in this world is a pale reflection of his greatest gift, which is himself.

One additional wrinkle, which perhaps pushes in the direction you don't want to go ("Your reward is very great"). In Psalm 127:3, we have the same idea of a reward from the Lord, which there is explicitly children. And, as you observe, Abraham's immediate response to the Lord's statement is "I have no children." So I think Abraham hears it as "Your reward is very great" which rings hollow to him in the absence of the most obvious sign of earthly blessing: children. To bring it full circle, though, how does God give us the gift of himself? It is through the ultimate promised seed of Abraham, Jesus Christ. The reward will come, but not yet. Abraham must live by faith, not sight. So your meditation is fitting: in those times in life when it seems that God has not blessed us with the things we want, we have the promise that he is our ultimate reward, given to us through the incarnation, suffering, death and resurrection of his own Son. Having that great and precious promise, what else do we need here on earth?

I don't know why I quoted your whole post. I guess because it's all good. Thanks.

You said, "But we can't separate the gifts from the giver. Whatever God gives us in this world is a pale reflection of his greatest gift, which is himself."
Amen to that. I am laughing as I write. And not like Sarah's laugh. In my older years, God has given Himself to me in such a real way that I sometimes think I have more than faith. I have not led what the world would call a "charmed life." That's for sure. But I can say the He truly is my exceeding great reward while still in this life. There are times during each week that I think I must be the happiest man on earth. Such is the rich fellowship with God the Holy Trinity. The most excellent thought I have ever had in my life came to me one morning as I rose early for daily devotions. I thought, and I think I said out loud, "I think He wants to fellowship with me." There are no words to express what that thought did to me. It's been several years, and I still tear up at the very thought. All glory to our great and beautiful God and Savior who love me and gave Himself for me.

Thanks again,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back