Another New Commentary on Proverbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
The title is Proverbs: A Mentor Commentary. The author is John A. Kitchen, who is senior pastor of Stow Alliance Fellowship in Stow, Ohio. It's a sturdy (as all these Menor commentaries are) 790-page hardback, which cost me $32.00. The copyright date is 2006, so it's brand new.

I haven't read in it yet, but I notice that, although his main translation is the NASB, he also uses the RSV, NRSV, NLT, NEB, KJV, NIV, JB, and the NKJV in the book! He also has a 15-page thematic index for the Book of Proverbs, which should prove helpful. I also notice, in his introduction (just glancing through) that he dates the book to Solomon's reign (ca. 950 BC), with final editing possibly a couple of hundred years later.

As I said, it's nearly 800 pages long. Coming on the heels of Bruce Waltke's massive two-volume set, it seems we are awash in conservative commentaries on the Book of Proverbs. Nothing wrong with that...

Thanks for the heads up! Don't forget Tremper Longman's 608 page commentary that is new:
http://www.wtsbooks.com/product-exe...the_Old_Testament_Wisdom_and_Psalms_Hardcover_

You're right; I'd forgotten, and I just saw it in a bookstore a few days ago. So, that's three: Waltke, Longman, and Kitchen (I wonder if he's related to K. A. Kitchen.)

By the way, for some reason (probably my fault), this thread appears twice. I wanted to delete the first one I did because, instead of putting the title of Kitchen's book in italics (after clicking on the "italics" icon), the title remained unitalicized, with the coding for italics showing up on either side of the title instead. Grrr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back