Another GREAT Free Deal - 1,000s of classics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this Dennis. I downloaded it recently, but hadn't pursued many of the downloads yet. For Mac users, the Online Bible is a good resource. It has some advantages to eSword, but probably not as many resources available - especially in light of the third party sources.

The Macintosh Online Bible

I have both, use e-Sword often, but do most of my work with Logos.

I use Logos/Libronix when I want to do searches of large numbers of resources (4,300+). But, with that many resources on board, it is SLOWWWWWWW. Wordsearch is wonderful for dealing with the confessions and certain commentaries. However, the new e-Sword 9 is the slickest, fastest, way to do work with the resources available in commentary/dictionary/Bible modules in e-Sword.

I downloaded the software and the addons, but there are many add-ons that have a .TOP extension. Does anyone know how to make these work in esword?

That is what the converter is for. It will turn your .top into a .topx that is readable by version 9.

In short, Microsoft no longer supports the engine that Rick Myers was using for e-Sword. So, the price for remaining current was changing the engine. The 5.0 version converter will turn a .top (or .cmt or .map) into a version 9 module in seconds. There are some modules that will stubbornly refuse to convert (just like some people I know). In such cases, you can wait a few days until the person posting the module upgrades it.

BTW, all of the premium (= ya gotta pay for them) modules at eStudySource.com are ver. 9 compliant.

e-Sword is SOOOO fast (compared to my resource laden donkey of Libronix), that I purchased the Baker NT Commentary (Hendriksen and Kistemaker) to have a GREAT current commentary series to use (along with Calvin, Poole, Matthew Henry, Gill, etc.) along with my studies. It was under $60 (cheaper than the print version!!!).

I downloaded the converter but can't seem to get it to open, I double click on the application and nothing happens. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Alan,

When you download the zip file and you do the extraction, it will give you three files: eSword9Converter, eSword9Converter.exe, and System.Data.SQLite.dll.

I simply doubleclicked on the first one (139 KB). It should open a window named "e-Sword Converter." It also has a batch mode feature which should work fine too.

I just tried the batch feature (right lower corner in blue). All you need to do is to designate where the subdirectory is with your version 8 modules and the subdirectory where your e-Sword 9 is (typically c:\program files\e-Sword). Hit the convert button and it will go to town. If you have some modules that will not convert, don't sweat it. Simply hit the cancel button when the dialog box comes up and it should continue converting the other files in the subdirectory.

Dennis,
right I see the three files but when I click the app, it creates a notepad file with a 'file not found' exception. Dont know whats going on but if anyone knows I would appreciate the help.

That is what the converter is for. It will turn your .top into a .topx that is readable by version 9.

In short, Microsoft no longer supports the engine that Rick Myers was using for e-Sword. So, the price for remaining current was changing the engine. The 5.0 version converter will turn a .top (or .cmt or .map) into a version 9 module in seconds. There are some modules that will stubbornly refuse to convert (just like some people I know). In such cases, you can wait a few days until the person posting the module upgrades it.

BTW, all of the premium (= ya gotta pay for them) modules at eStudySource.com are ver. 9 compliant.

e-Sword is SOOOO fast (compared to my resource laden donkey of Libronix), that I purchased the Baker NT Commentary (Hendriksen and Kistemaker) to have a GREAT current commentary series to use (along with Calvin, Poole, Matthew Henry, Gill, etc.) along with my studies. It was under $60 (cheaper than the print version!!!).

I couldn't get Poole to install or convert. :(

Beth,

I had the same problem with Poole. Blessedly, about 90 minutes ago, they posted a ver. 9 copy on Poole, Matthew - Commentary (Poole) -9.x | e-Sword Users.

It installed easily on my computer.

A number of the files would not convert for me (and I am not comfortable going in an changing the code the way some have done). So, a few resources will simply await a release on either http://e-sword-users.org/users/node/2869 or http://www.davidcox.com.mx/e-swordmodules/topics_database.htm. Both of them have been converting the old ones pretty quickly.

Has it been simple to change-over? No. But, for free and for all that you get, it is not such a bad deal.

I downloaded the software and the addons, but there are many add-ons that have a .TOP extension. Does anyone know how to make these work in esword?

And I thought that was just me!!! I eagerly wanted to upgrade but can't, without the converters. Any help for me and my brother...

Beth,

I had the same problem with Poole. Blessedly, about 90 minutes ago, they posted a ver. 9 copy on Poole, Matthew - Commentary (Poole) -9.x | e-Sword Users.

It installed easily on my computer.

A number of the files would not convert for me (and I am not comfortable going in an changing the code the way some have done). So, a few resources will simply await a release on either Poole, Matthew - Commentary (Poole) -9.x | e-Sword Users or http://www.davidcox.com.mx/e-swordmodules/topics_database.htm. Both of them have been converting the old ones pretty quickly.

Has it been simple to change-over? No. But, for free and for all that you get, it is not such a bad deal.

Thanks! Yes, I have no complaints about this program at all. It is free and a wonderful tool.

-----Added 6/5/2009 at 10:43:36 EST-----

Alan, if this is your first time installing I wonder if you are asking where to find these .TOP files in the interface? If that is the case they are at the bottom of the commentary box as a drop down list.

To use the topical notes (i.e., the sermons, books, sets) . . .

1. Select the "Topic Notes" tab on the right (the "C" section where see stands for "commentaries").

2. Look at the bottom of the C box. If you click on it, you will see a list of resources available to you (e.g., Ante Nicene or Nicene Fathers, C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity," Machen's "Christianity and Liberalism," pretty much anything A.W. Pink ever published, etc. - whatever you have installed as a .topx file).

3. At the top of the box you will see a box indicating the chapter of the work you are in. The button will reveal the various chapters of the book.

Remember: if you are using a Version 8 or older, you need a .top file. If you are using a Version 9 or newer, you need a .topx file. The converters referenced in this thread will convert most of the your old .top files to .topx files.

Also, the e-sword people have a great set of animated tutorials, "Training" on their site (e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge). Included are the following topics . . .

* The basics for getting started with e-Sword.
* Using e-Sword to search the Bible for a specific phrase.
* Using the Prayer Requests tool for a consistent prayer life.
* Using the Scripture Memory tool to memorize the Word of God.
* Create a Bible reading plan to encourage you to read the Bible each day.
* Using the STEP Reader to view STEP format libraries.
* Search for all occurrences of a specific Hebrew or Greek word.
* Using the Study Notes editor for creating your own commentary.
* Using the Topic Notes editor for creating sermons, studies and other writings.

Okay... How do I get the LBCF and the WCF and catechisms again? I use to have them but don't anylonger. I have them on my other computer but don't on this one. I lost this one a few weeks back and had to start all over. So I downloaded the newer version. I do have most of my older v.8 topics on disc maybe I can use those. If I download them can I convert them to v. 9?

Randy,

Frankly I would not use e-Sword for the confessions. Doxa has a great $10 set of confessions and explanatory books. Coupled with the free books and free search engine available from Wordsearch, you can set up these kinds of configurations:

For a hyperlinked WCF . . .

Confessions2.jpg

If you can't see, that is the WCF, parallel comparison of the WCF, LBCF, and the Savoy Declaration, WSC, WLC, 1689 Kerkham, 1689 Carey, and 1689 Original in the left frame; Beatie, Hodge, Shaw, Macpherson, and Gerstner on the Westminster Standards, and Waldron on the 1689.

For a the LBCF and commentary by Waldron . . .

Confessions.jpg

BTW, you also have to buy the Waldron book separately.

Westminster Confession of Faith
Westminster Shorter Catechism
Westminster Larger Catechism
WCF with Parallel Confessions (WCF|1689|Savoy)
A Commentary on the WCF by A. A. Hodge
Notes on the WCF by J. Macpherson
An Exposition of the WCF by R. Shaw
The Presbyterian Standards by F. Beattie
http://doxapress.com/wccc_details.htm

If you want to pay an extra few bucks ($30 sometimes on sale for $20) you can get all of the following:
Francis Beattie
* The Presbyterian Standards (An Exposition of the WCF and Catechisms)
o Dr. Doug Kelly's Favorite

Louis Berkhof
* Textual Aid to Systematic Theology
* Introductory Volume to Systematic Theology
* Systematic Theology (one of the best ever)
* Summary of Christian Doctrine
* Manual of Christian Doctrine
* History of Christian Doctrines
* Principles of Biblical Interpretation (Sacred Hermeneutics)
* Subjects and Outlines: Biblical, Theological, Historical
o check out his view on woman suffrage

Loraine Boettner
* The Christian Attitude Toward War
* Divorce (with numerous quotes from Prof. John Murray)
* A Harmony of the Gospels
* Immortality
* The Millennium
* The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
* The Reformed Faith
* Roman Catholicism
* Studies in Theology

James P. Boyce
* Abstract of Systematic Theology

John Cotton
* The Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven

A.A. Hodge
* Commentary on the Westminster Confession of Faith
* Exposition of the Shorter Catechism

Abraham Kuyper
* Lectures on Calvinism
* Encyclopedia of Sacred Theology
* God's Renaissance Man (Biography)
o an excellent biography by Dr. J.E. McGoldrick
* Work of the Holy Spirit

J.Gresham Machen
* Christianity and Liberalism

John Macpherson
* Notes on the Westminster Confession of Faith

N.S. McFetridge
* Calvinism in History

John Owen
* The Golden Book of John Owen
o J. Moffatt, ed.
o filled with quotes, aphorisms, etc. from Owen

Robert Shaw
* The Reformed Faith (An Exposition of the WCF)

Geerhardus Vos
* The Kingdom and the Church
* The Pauline Eschatology

B.B. Warfield
* The Plan of Salvation (view sample)

Westminster Standards
* Westminster Confession of Faith (with hyperlinks at the paragraph level to the Expositions)
* Westminster Larger Catechism
* Westminster Shorter Catechism (with hyperlinks from each Q. to Hodge's Exposition)
* Westminster Confession in Parallel with the 1689 and Savoy

That's 38 Volumes and over 9,500 Pages!
http://rejoicesoftware.com/doxa_platinum.htm

Not to hijack my own thread, but in some ways WordSearch 8 is the ideal platform for pastors and lay people. It can be gotten cheaply (they even have the basic engine available for free), has about 250 free books in a VERY user-friendly form, Doxa keeps publishing solid Reformed titles for next to nothing (e.g., my Platinum deal mentioned above), and it is a very comfortable program to navigate.

You cannot beat BibleWorks for high end grammatical exegesis or Logos/Libronix for sheer numbers of resources. However, work in Logos gets pretty slow once your numbers of resources climbs above a couple of thousand.

My personal recommendations . . .

* E-Sword 9 - I have about 750 resources in the ver. 9 format, most of them free.
* WordSearch 8 - again, take advantage of the freebies and buy EVERYTHING Doxa puts out.

That will give you between 1,000 and 2,000 resources for a very few bucks.

IFF you need high end grammatical searches (finding all of the genitive absolute constructions in sentences with an imperative), get BibleWorks.

IFF you want more (and have the substantial resources to pay thousands of dollars for your library), get the Libronix Scholars Library Gold, download all of the free PBB files (Libronix PBB Files | Truth is Still Truth), and then add what you can afford.

But, for basic commentaries and sheer volume of free materials you canNOT beat e-Sword.

E-Sword support group on Yahoo groups

If anyone is having problems, you can join and post your problem to the E-Sword support group at Yahoo.

To join, please visit:

E-Sword support group

It is also an excellent way of keeping abreast of latest modules being developed etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back