Another FVist goes Papist

Status
Not open for further replies.
This taken from the article:

Homesick No More
Ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. - Jeremiah 6:16
Monday, August 27, 2007
On How The Federal Vision Made Me Catholic

So there's much hubbub lately about the Federal Vision controversy. The conservative reformed world is fast becoming a house divided against itself over the issues of the reality of the sacraments and what they confer upon the recipient and the real possibility of apostasy.

Having been myself a member of both a Federal Vision community (lo, I am a pharisee of pharisees coming from Christ Church itself, the very Mecca of the FV movement) and a non-FV reformed community (OPC to be precise) and now a communing Catholic (in that order) I have thought about the question a fair bit. I still keep up on the matter, though through a glass dimly, mostly because the ideas of the preachers of the FV movement were largely the ideas that lead me to be accepted into the Catholic Church.

It appears he has proved out to be a Hebrew 6 and 10 apostate. What an abominable doctrine FV is.

I wonder how many FV'ers going to Rome will it take to make the connection clear to those in the FV?

I suspect those who are 'left beind' in the FV will deride those leaving to Rome as "not really understanding FV", just as those who have left FV to go back to Orthodoxy have been lambasted. :flamingscot:

I wonder how many FV'ers going to Rome will it take to make the connection clear to those in the FV?

I suspect those who are 'left beind' in the FV will deride those leaving to Rome as "not really understanding FV", just as those who have left FV to go back to Orthodoxy have been lambasted.
No doubt. Noody seems to understand it except those who believe it.

"...I suspect those who are 'left beind' in the FV will deride those leaving to Rome as "not really understanding FV"

Oh, yes, that's exactly what I've read.

As for precise numbers, I wish I did. Trouble is, I daresay we're only aware of few of those who have ridden the FV-to-Rome Express. Unless they've had an internet presence, no one would know outside their immediate circle.

He is a first-time commenter, and so his post was (briefly) held for moderation. It is now up here. Stewart is normally unbelievably ignorant and stupid. But, as Josh said, this is a tremendous compliment.

Am I wrong that the main proponents of the FV teaching for the most part haven't left their reformed churches for Rome, but those who sit under the teachings are? Are the teachings being misunderstood, is that why people are leaving - if not, what is keeping FV teachers from also disserting the reformed faith?

Am I wrong that the main proponents of the FV teaching for the most part haven't left their reformed churches for Rome, but those who sit under the teachings are? Are the teachings being misunderstood, is that why people are leaving - if not, what is keeping FV teachers from also disserting the reformed faith?

If those main proponents are pastors, then I'd think there'd be at least a few hindrances to their boarding the FV-Rome Express, including a commitment to Protestantism in general and their denomination in specific, which commitment prevents them from carrying the FV out to its logical conclusion; possibly having a wife absolutely unwilling to board that train; and one of strict practicality, i.e. Rome would no doubt welcome them but not pay their mortgage or put food on their kids' plates.

It is very sad, they were members of my church. Pray for them.

If they indeed misunderstood the FV (as the FV suggests) than maybe the FV leaders should consider how confusing their teaching is. Granted I'm no scholar but when I think I understand what the FV teaches I read something that says I don't understand it.

If they indeed misunderstood the FV (as the FV suggests) than maybe the FV leaders should consider how confusing their teaching is.
Absolutely. According to the FV guys, the PCA and OPC study committees did not understand (and these are some learned, sober people). Most everyone who opposes them does not understand. Their own adherents don't understand (at least if they decide to move to RC). If the FV teaching is so unclear that all opponents and many adherents get it wrong, then the teaching ability of the FV teachers is dismal.

Personally, I think the teaching is unclear, vague, and mysterious purposely. That way, if the teaching gets critiqued, the cry of "misunderstood" can be used to browbeat the naysayers. It all goes with the spirit of the age: ambiguity, flexibility, looseness, relativity...

Of course, I'm probably just misunderstanding.
No doubt.:smug:

Marcus Borg? He has the physical-resurrection-of-Christ-denying Marcus Borg in his preferred blog links?

Mercy Maud.

I think there's a kid in Dmitry's school whose name is Jesus; if it doesn't make much difference precisely which "Jesus" one loves and believes in passionately - He who was physically resurrected and ascended into heaven, or one of the myriad others - would that one do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back