Andrew Gray on Christ as the first preacher of eternal salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Now the second thing whereunto we shall speak for clearing of the words [Hebrews 2:3], is this, viz. How it is said that Christ was the first preacher of this eternal salvation. We do not think that the words are thus to be understood, that the Gospel and this great salvation was never preached before Christ came in the flesh; but we think the meaning of the words may be one of these three: if not all of them.

First, That all the preaching of this great salvation under the Law, did come very far short in the point of fulness, in comparison of Christ’s preaching of it; therefore is Christ said to be the first preacher of this great salvation; as if he had said, I know Adam he preached of this great salvation; and Enoch he preached of this great salvation; and the twelve Patriarchs they preached of this great salvation; and all the Prophets who went before Christ, and are now in heaven, they preached of this great salvation; but all their preaching deserved not the name of preaching in comparison of Christ’s; for never man spake as he spake. Thus Christ was the first great preacher of this great salvation. ...

For more, see Andrew Gray on Christ as the first preacher of eternal salvation.

N.B. This Andrew Gray was the early Covenanter, who died very young. He is a different man from the later Andrew Gray of Perth, who was a minister in the Free Church of Scotland after the Disruption. The above post is my first one from the former Andrew Gray, whereas I have posted a few things from the latter Andrew Gray in the past. In all subsequent posts from the Free Church Andrew Gray, I will refer to him as Andrew Gray of Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back