American Pie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say Andrew...I hate that song.
It has an event in my life attached to it that everytime I hear it, it puts me right back on a yellow school bus 23 years ago being forced to listen to a dim-wit on my high school football team sing it over and over again on a long road trip after a loss.

I loved that song. I have it on CD. I was a young one, but I went out and bought the 45. Do you guys remember 45's? I wore it out. 45's cost about a dollar back then as a download of a song cost about a dollar today. I must admit I didn't understand the imagry but I sure had my own thought about it. Have you ever heard Babylon by Don also? I think McClean was Catholic.

The song is a mental reflection of my childhood. It was when I was coming of age. A lot happened while this song was a hit; whenever I hear it, a myriad of visions flash before my eyes; some sad, some happy.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
The song is a mental reflection of my childhood. It was when I was coming of age. A lot happened while this song was a hit; whenever I hear it, a myriad of visions flash before my eyes; some sad, some happy.

:ditto: I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck once myself. Don McLean's poetry (also Vincent) speaks to me profoundly. This is a truly American musical classic, with all the greatness and unBiblical aspects which that entails.

[Edited on 8-20-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Don McLean used to be one of my favourite artists. Almost all this songs were listenable at the very least. I still remember stuff like 'Castles in the Air' 'The Grave' 'Going for the Gold' etc etc

I have to confess that I have always enjoyed that song. A couple years ago I was on a drive with my boys (7 and 8 at the time) and as I was scanning the radio I found the song American Pie had just begun.

At that time it would amuse the kids when I woud bellow out along with the song. The next day when I was coming out of the church building, I heard my youngest son singing "and there were good old boys drinking whiskey and rye." out in the parking lot. I though that perhaps that was not such a good sabbath day song, particularly when there are a good number of teetotalers in the church.

I have always struggled though with the various references to the Diety within the song. My conscience won't allow me to utter the verse speaking of the Trinity. Sometimes I wonder if it acceptable (or profitable?) to utilize such music.

Back in the mid nineties Don McLean did a show here in Lubbock and I had an old high school friend who was the opening act.
She called and asked if I wanted tickets... she could hook me up and ofcourse I took them. I liked American Pie and Vincent so I thought it would be worth it to hear them sung live. What I got was a really really good show in a smallish intimate appreciative crowd. McLean was extremely good.
I felt guilty to be there free.

Ofcourse Buddy Holly was a Lubbock boy so the concert felt especially special for some reason.

As an aside, another boy from a town near Lubbock who later became a DJ in Lubbock...traded places with someone and let them have his seat on that plane that crashed. He rode the bus instead. That guy was just a good old boy, never meaning no harm...named Waylon Jennings.

Anyway, back on topic...the song is background music for a good slice of life for me. It always takes me back to another time.

Originally posted by bob
I have always struggled though with the various references to the Diety within the song. My conscience won't allow me to utter the verse speaking of the Trinity. Sometimes I wonder if it acceptable (or profitable?) to utilize such music.

:up: That I definitely agree with. I seem to recall hearing a version (by McLean) that does not include that stanza - isn't this one of those songs with a "long version" and a shorter one. A number of songs do that, like Copacabana (Barry Manilow), Light My Fire (The Doors) and Crimson and Clover (Tommy James and the Shondells).

Originally posted by jaybird0827
Originally posted by bob

:up: That I definitely agree with. I seem to recall hearing a version (by McLean) that does not include that stanza - isn't this one of those songs with a "long version" and a shorter one. A number of songs do that, like Copacabana (Barry Manilow), Light My Fire (The Doors) and Crimson and Clover (Tommy James and the Shondells).

Just so long as its not the version by Madonna.

Originally posted by satz
Originally posted by jaybird0827

Just so long as its not the version by Madonna.

:lol:

Originally posted by govols
Yippee!! Sophmore time baby !!!

:banana: :banana:

[Edited on 8-23-2006 by govols]

:D

Woo-hoo! Congratulations on this solemn event! As of this message, I'm only like 64 posts behind ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back