Am I My Brothers Theological Keeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArminianOnceWas

Puritan Board Freshman
I have a friend, we have journeyed together off and on for year the last 10 years in friendship as he was a RE in the PCA then went on to pastor an independent congregation who had Calvinistic leanings (the church's founding pastor was a TE in the PCA). I always had issues with his church's independence but had my own beam in the eye as I was pastoring in a completely Wesleyan denomination.

He began wavering in his convictions of Calvinistic doctrine over the last few months. It started with causal second-guessing and is now warped into a full-fledged mindset of bypassing church history and doctrine while going back to the first-century church when ecclesiology was done correctly, less institutional, less credal and with simplicity (according to him).

I have been very tempted to search the Scriptures with him to lead him back to the Sovereignty of God and the corruption of man (when both acknowledged I don't think there is any way to refute Calvinism) but have been hesitant to do so because I do not think that debate will bring him back. I pray for him, that the Holy Spirit would convict him, and for God's glory I am willing to be used to help.

Does anyone have any advice or conversation for support here?

of bypassing church history and doctrine while going back to the first-century church when ecclesiology was done correctly, less institutional, less credal and with simplicity

How does the 'spirit' of what he wants (ie 'to go back to the roots of the church') negate Calvinism?

4 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. -2nd Timothy 4:1-5

8 Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. -1 Peter 4:8

I believe you are your brothers keeper. Allow me to explain.

This is a question I think about often. I had a close friend who converted to open theism a few years back, and I handled the situation terribly. I did not handle the situation with compassion and lost a potential brother in Christ. I am still praying for an opportunity to regain the trust I once had so that we may be able to discuss his departure from the faith.

I say that to say this: if you love your brother, rebuke him. However do it with the utmost compassion and care. Let him know how much you care for him, and that you are generally concerned for his spiritual well being. If he does depart from an orthodox understanding, it won't be because you ignored the situation or were a jerk to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back